Antique plates | FerrariChat

Antique plates

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by bradley ritner, Jan 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bradley ritner

Aug 18, 2020
    Everyone has been so helpful, I’m coming back to the CHI brain trust again.

I’m new to IL. Anyone running AV plates? Any hassle by city/state cops? How about crossing state lines?

It’s not like I’m going to daily a countach but I’d like to hit Saturday morning coffee runs, maybe go to Road America 1-2 times in the summer and take it out for the occasional fancy dinner date night.

It appears IL offers an “AV” plate and an “Expanded Use AV” I have never lived in a state that offered 2 AV plate choices. I’m purchasing the Expanded unless you guys think I’m missing something?

Thanks again everyone. This group is great!

2. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    AFAIK, the expanded covers you if you get stopped and you are not going to or from an event or performing a routine maintenance drive. The regular antique plates cover to and from events and routine maintenance. I’ve run regular AV plates for over 20 years. However, my car is a 1969.

3. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I have a few cars with expanded use antique plates and never had an issue with being stopped for them.

JohnnyS likes this.
  4. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    JP365 likes this.
  5. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I have the regular antique plates and have never been hasseled, But by driving a Dino GT4 its always headed to a car show . LOL