1980 Ferrari 512BB Chassis 32237 | FerrariChat

1980 Ferrari 512BB Chassis 32237

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by samsaprunoff, Jan 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

Just adding documentation...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/napa-1980-ferrari-512-bb-berlinetta/7266424180.html#

Chassis 32237 reminds me of the BBi that sat in someone's driveway for years before recently being acquired. 32237 looks to have suffered the same fate... wow... poor car that is in need of some serious love... and $$$ to bring it back to the living. I would say the asking price of $225K USD is somewhat optimistic.

Cheers,

Sam

1980 512BB
    Color: Black with no Boxer trim Exterior with Red Interior
    Mileage: 20000 Miles
    Chassis: 32237
    Price: $225K USD Asking

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

WJHMH, BoxerCrazy and Supernaut like this.
  2. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    Hmmmmm, I’m curious why this car sat for over 30 years......?

3. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    All original rear wheel flares? Driver’s door not too straight. Interesting bumpers.

Supernaut likes this.
  4. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    LOTS.........of money to spend to bring that car right.

WJHMH, Supernaut and ingegnere like this.
  5. Supernaut

Supernaut Karting

Dec 3, 2019
    Annapolis MD
    Full Name:
    John Panek
  6. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day John,

This is an existing thread on this car with a few posts added.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/1980-ferrari-512bb-chassis-32237.636191/#post-147718207

As to what would it take to make the car driveable/usable... without a thorough inspection it would be really tough to estimate. Remember you have 30+ years of deferred maintenance which can create all sorts of issues for the mechanical bits. At minimum new tires, engine out service, full brake rebuild, possible shocks, and possibly new exhaust/headers... these items add up pretty quick. Lastly, "usable" or "Driveable" mean different things to different people which also adds to the cost variability. Unless you are able to do the work yourself and you have the time, I think it would actually be far less costly to buy a driver condition level car... and then simply drive and have fun.

Cheers,

Sam

Grease Donkey likes this.
  7. Supernaut

Supernaut Karting

Dec 3, 2019
    Annapolis MD
    Full Name:
    John Panek
    Spoke to the seller yesterday - it's his father's car, one of many in a collection. My guess is something else shiny got the attention.

8. Supernaut

Supernaut Karting

Dec 3, 2019
    Annapolis MD
    Full Name:
    John Panek
    Thanks Sam - my search skills obviously need an upgrade! I can do almost all of the work myself and have the time, so will go after this one. I enjoy working on cars even more than driving it seems.

9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day John,

You are most welcome and that is great that you can do all the work yourself. Even so I hope you can purchase the car for far less than the asking price of $225K. I say this, as there is a lot and I mean a lot of work ahead and some you will not know until you dig deep. Many items are pricey and add up quick. As a frame of reference I would look around and see what the current market prices are for driver-level quality Boxers. If anything you can use these prices and work backwards to determine a reasonable offer price. Also, even thought your labor may be "free" I would factor in an appropriate labor cost for the work as part of your valuation. Not doing this is selling yourself short and ultimately overpaying for the car. As they say... think with your wallet and not your heart.

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do and if you do buy the car, then please create a resto thread on your adventure, as we all enjoy the results of the time, effort we put into our cars... and pics are a must!

Cheers,

Sam

Supernaut likes this.
  10. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I love carbed BB's.

I love this color combo, esepcially with the striped seats!

I used to have a bad habit of trying to rehabilitate stuff like this in the past. (As a retail customer)

Sadly I am not in the market these days.

GL to the seller!

BigTex likes this.
  11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I would do a fluid service and crank the thing up.......LOL!

Fix it where it hurts...that's one wild interior.

12. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    The flares do not look correct.

I wonder what has been Federalized, or not?

WJHMH likes this.
  13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Yes it has the DOT bumpers

14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I was a dreamer in the Boxer market for awhile last year. I saw a few cars in this $225-$240k bracket that all needed some $30k or more of immediate servicing to get to what I thought was driver grade. Now all those cars were running cars in FAR better cosmetic shape than this poor thing is in.

Go look at Ratarossa's project Boxer on youtube. He paid $104k.

15. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    But he is missing its toolkit ! :cool:

16. Supernaut

Supernaut Karting

Dec 3, 2019
    Annapolis MD
    Full Name:
    John Panek
    I get 225 is way too much for a non-runner. But I have the feeling he is patiently waiting for that one special buyer who DNGAF what he spends. I respect that technique, it's served me well on some car and house sales. Perhaps when he's grown bored of dozens of messages a day from craigslist and facebook he will look me in the eye and see someone equally patient, and he will blink first.

Ratarossa's BB had factory wheels, this one has BBS aftermarket uggos. I'll use a jedi mind trick to get scott to trade w me.

jamespm likes this.
  17. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    So much to look at on this car, hard to say where to start, forget the cosmetic side of things for a moment, but sodium exhaust valves and replace the diff carrier with one of Paul's units has got to be up there.
    and then the "while we're in there" starts to creep in. The standard Borgo pistons, out, and down the rabbit hole we go.
    Cooling system, brakes, shocks, rust to look at, then the interior.
    I think I'm breaking out in a rash!

18. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I think at 150K on this you can easily find yourself upside down if you have to pay retail for work. But it is Black/Red! Mmmmmm Black/Red....

This might be a fun one on BaT.

19. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    My 78 was stored indoors and in excellent cosmetic shape when I bought it in 2011, but had not be used much for years. It ran ok, but quickly developed a noise on one of the bearings behind a pulley which runs the timing belt. One lengthy engine out project later, it has 12 new 1mm over HC pistons (some liners were rusted!), new valves, new crank and rod bearings, new seals and gaskets, rebuilt carbs, plug wires and distributor cap, a new clutch, new coolant and heater hoses, refurbished a/c, overhauled brakes, replated hardware, all new suspension bushings, etc. I love the car and am pleased with the work, but it was a far better car to start with (no cosmetic or interior work needed) and still cost about $100,000 to bring back. My guess is that unless you can do much of the work yourself, this is a $150,000 project. Still, I look at those photos, think about a cool project to undertake and get itchy....

MS250 likes this.
  20. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Just saw the ad running in Dallas, the listing went up to $230k. You don't often see flared fenders on Boxers, I guess that was more a group B rally thing. It's going to need a lot of love to make it a proper boxer again.

21. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day,

Interesting... The CA Napa CL ad now shows a price reduction to $215K USD...

Cheers,

Sam

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  23. sully1967

sully1967 Rookie

Dec 4, 2014
    Napa, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris Sullivan
    I visited this car in person a few weeks ago. The photos are a good representation of the car. The paint has micro bubbled all over the body and the owner indicated it was under a tarp in the weather for several years. The car is missing the front grille also, but the owner may have found it since my visit.

Koenig Clamshell?- Does anyone know if this is a Koenig rear Clamshell? The only other car I found on the internet with rear flares such as this was advertised as a Koenig clamshell. The Koenig car had transparent windows to make the carburetor velocity stacks visible. The Napa car's clamshell doesn't have the carb windows. These wheels also appear to be Koenig.

Stock Clamshell- What are the chances of finding a replacement stock clamshell without the exaggerated fender flares?

24. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

OMG, what a nightmare! I wouldn't go near this for anything over 70K. After paying for a '77 308 GTB restoration(#21039) that started in about the same shape as this, all I can say is good luck to someone!

25. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

There have been some Interesting pricing with 32237... a few days ago I saw the asking price was lowered to $199K USD... and now today I see the price has increased to $230K USD. I guess if there are no bites at $225K or $199K that raising the price to $230K may improve things? Or maybe the price indicated is what is needed to restore the car :)

Cheers,

Sam

jamespm likes this.