slightly unbelievable but true story. need advice | Page 4 | FerrariChat

slightly unbelievable but true story. need advice

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by beauphus, Jan 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. beauphus

beauphus Karting

Jan 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    beau
    i spoke to him last week. He’s alive and well

ryalex and msdesignltd like this.
  2. beauphus

beauphus Karting

Jan 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    beau
    Palm beach FL

msdesignltd likes this.
  3. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #78 msdesignltd, Jan 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    This is known as an early monospecchio model, very desirable in certain circles.
    By the look of the pics, the car looks young and it appears by the high ground clearance that it was up on jack stands all the time..was it?

I think you could get a list of over a dozen shops on personal recommendations from fchat members on the east coast that would complete a project like this at reasonable costs..
    Personally, unless you were on top of it in italy , weekly...I would not do it there...Here ...Just ask and we can all chime in on possible shops to do it..
    There is a small shop on long island I would recommend right away..Bradan...He is a sponsor on fchat and would not risk his reputation for anything..
    If you want to call them..I will post his link.
    He could give you an idea of cost just from the pics you posted.
    Brad or Dan..brothers.

https://www.bradangroup.com/

4. beauphus

beauphus Karting

Jan 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    beau
    Thanks for the input. There is a Ferrari guy in town that has been here as long as I can remember. Very good reputation. He’s from that part of Italy and handles most of the nice cars from Palm Beach. I’m waiting for him to give his two cents.

msdesignltd likes this.
  5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    If Glickenhaus brings his prized possessions to some mechanics in Modena .. i would not pu pu them so quickly

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

6. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    JG is a billionaire..with automotive clout..he is not a use me 1 timer..no comparison.
    Classiche OK, an independent , just go on a good reco.

7. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #82 theunissenguido, Jan 29, 2021
    The Fuel distributors are there, injectors and injectors lines I see, so just missing the air inbox and exhaust. Not so big deal. Some dents on the left and right rear wings. Missing lights can be found. Internal parts are visible behind the seats. If the car was parked in this hall, engine could be fine also.
    Because of the special status Nato soldiers did have at that time, exporting that car could left some taxes to pay...but after so many years there will be no prove in the Italian Customs books.

Texas Forever likes this.
  8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #83 flash32, Jan 29, 2021
    All I am saying is that there are good shops in Modena and it may be the OP best interest to have a shop look and possibly fix it before dealing with bringing it here ..

I have seen the shops and their principles and was very impressed .... there is even a good shop right across from the factory

I agree with "get a solid recommendation on any shop here or there"

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

msdesignltd likes this.
  9. beauphus

beauphus Karting

Jan 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    beau
    its at zanasi now. They are saying it’s going to cost too much.

10. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    1 thing to say, is your dad was one cool guy that seems to have lived his life to the fullest...for some reason i'm more interested in hearing more about your dad than the car lol . may he rest in peace. Get the car, restore it, thats legacy...

x599 and turbo-joe like this.
  11. beauphus

beauphus Karting

Jan 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    beau
    its a long twisty road. i used to listen to his stories for hours. some of it was so crazy (along with the people involved) i thought he made it up. then i would meet with the people in the stories (celebrities from the 60s, 70s, 80s) and it was all confirmed. i also inherited the pictures. what a time to be alive. i would give both testicles to live the way he did.

alpinadvl, Texas Forever and Tarek307 like this.
  12. beauphus

beauphus Karting

Jan 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    beau
    one consideration in this whole thing keeps coming up and that is taxes. i assume ill pay duty to import (2.5%?) but what italian taxes would i have to pay? does anyone know? people keep bringing it up. but my line of thinking, why would i need to pay anything to italy? it hasnt been driven since the 80's. it doesnt run. its a paper weight right now. is it not as simple as getting it in a crate by a shipping company and bringing it here? i have heard the taxes might kill me, but what the hell am i being taxed for? im not registering it to drive in italy. duties would likely be low because its obviously not a high dollar vehicle (unless restored). can anyone here help me understand the tax situation?

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Ahem...I think you are over thinking it....

Again Albert -LP is a businessman well aware of import/export duties.

I'm of the school (as your location is prime) to crate it up, ship it home, and if you decide to break it for parts, the US market is higher yield, IMO...and at least if you fold the hand...."you tried.."

For me the single mirror TR down the street just exudes appeal.

Your kids will always remember the looks at school.
    My kids got it at a bargain price in an early 308GTB..

It's like driving the Space Shuttle....live it. for once

Jakuzzi likes this.
  14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I will say this about any Ferrari..

After neglect or damage, any one that wants to deem it "totalled" will do so...

I'll never forget discussing it over a fender bender:
    "Sir, we know how Ferraris are driven, we assume you've crashed it, multiple times, already...."

WTF!
    LOL!

Then he allowed the money, to put racing graphics back on...

15. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    if you have any intention of bringing it to the usa....
    very unlikely that any taxes are due in italy.
    you can just export the car.
    if you do not have the original invoice your father paid, then get it evaluated as it is now.
    call CARS, have them arrange everything for export.
    you will pay 2.5% upon arrival in jacksonville
    thats all.

Texas Forever likes this.
  16. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    As Ross mentioned, no taxes will need to be paid to Italy on export, but you will need the 'title' documents.

If you decide to sell it in Italy, VAT and duty will be sought by the Dogana before a buyer can get documentation necessary to register the car in Europe. I had a project LP5000S Countach in Italy for years, when I decided to register it in Italy, taxes had to be paid. After a year long struggle involving a Court 'expert' I hired, they allowed me to base taxes on the low end of a market value as seen in prominent Italian classic car magazines. This meant 47,000 Euro in taxes on an agreed value of 150,000 Euro. So even if you get a low end value of a TR in Italy, say 50,000 Euro, someone

That being said, as I have recently gone through a restoration there, I know some great small shops which do mechanical and bodywork in the Modena and St. Agata area for which a TR would be easy; I am certain they can source the missing parts easily.

If I did not already have a TR I would make you an offer. Getting a restoration of a car like that done in Italy by retired craftsmen working in small artisanal shops has been a pretty magical experience, I would do it again in a heartbeat. I do know a few people looking for a good TR project if you decide to sell.

ingegnere and Texas Forever like this.
  17. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yes, agreed, you do need ownership papers.
    hopefully you have them.

18. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Bring her home mate ..if you need anymore inspiration check out Ratarossa in UK,has done a bunch of rebuilds in his home garage ,currently doing a 512 BBi which was parked outside for 12 years and not moved!He bought a TR from Cali that hadn't moved for 20 years...

If you decide to let her go you could do worse than call him ....

19. beauphus

beauphus Karting

Jan 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    beau
    in the photos i provided is some photos of the documents. is that not the title? it has my father name and address information. i assumed that to be title. and since i would not be registering it in italy to drive, would i still owe dogana? if there is not title or it cant be located, can i still have a title re-issued? lastly, if i were to have it rehabed in italy, but for US export once complete, would i pay dogana or no because it is coming to the US, which gets 2.5 duty? thanks for the help!

20. beauphus

beauphus Karting

Jan 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    beau
    i had seen this. it gave me hope that it can be done. hell, i could bring it to FL where there is more than one shop that could rebuild this car not to original and mae it a TT. although i was hoping to restore it true and proper without making it a frankenstein

21. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    had another look at the pics, and yes this is the title and documents you need - with the addition of whatever you have linking your father to you, and that he left this car to you.
    if you do not ever register it in italy, you will not have to pay italian duty.
    it can be rehabbed there and then exported without paying any duty.

if you are going to have it rehabbed, regardless of where, then my own opinion is you should bring it back to oem spec.
    it is in the mecca of ferrari, so might as well have it done there - but i would definitely go there in person to see for myself, and choose who will do the work etc
    might be helpful in figuring out who abused and cannibalized it as well.
    if because of the distance you feel more comfortable bringing it to FL now, then so be it.
    just recognize and count on it being north of $50k and more likely closer to $100k to do it.
    at least you got it for free :)

sixcarbs, Texas Forever and flash32 like this.
  22. beauphus

beauphus Karting

Jan 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    beau
    I would need a trustworthy group in Italy to do it. Sadly I don’t have many contacts there. At least in the states and especially in Florida, I have people I trust and have known me for a long time. I have rebuilt a few cars and do have some good connections here.

2NA and Texas Forever like this.
  23. jpanz

jpanz Karting

Sep 8, 2015
    Central Jersey Monroe
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks for posting the pics! Amazing spec! I love that deep blue interior. Decisions, decisions!!!!!!!!!
    Good luck! Do what's best for you. It would also be cool just to leave it as is! Just get it street legal and running! Everyone will love the story! Not likely reaslistic but I love the idea.

24. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I know a few people I have worked with who are in Modena who could look at it and give you an idea of cost (and could do the work at reasonable cost). PM me if you want some contacts.

25. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    If you decide to sell, bring it home, get it titled in the US and then put it on Bring A Trailer. This kind of story is made for BaT. You’ll get maximum dollars for $500.

If it were me, I’d keep it. I’d make a documentary about the car, the story, the restoration, getting your boys involved, and then decide whether to keep or sell.

We’re all in different places in life. But it is great when these kinds of opportunities fall into your lap.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Jakuzzi, turbo-joe and INRange like this.