McLaren-Mercedes has a nice ring to it. Car fires up today . . . | FerrariChat

McLaren-Mercedes has a nice ring to it. Car fires up today . . .

Discussion in 'F1' started by pilotoCS, Jan 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
  2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I think they will have their best season in years...unless there is a fundamental flaw in the car...

One thing bothers me: I used to love hating Ferrari's main rival, the "McEvil" empire ice cold team led by "Ron Darth Vader Dennis" and with iceman Mika and DC driving...but now how can one hate the current team with those two endearing buffoons -out of the cockpit- and very fast chaps driving?! The newish management is also a hell of a lot friendlier.

Even Hakkinen said recently it is not the same iceberg team as back then.

635CSI, kes7u, ktu and 4 others like this.
  3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I would love to see them outpace Clone Cheat Aston!!

kes7u and Nembo1777 like this.
  4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I bet McLaren becomes best of the rest (maybe as high as 3rd).

kylec, Sig. Roma and Nembo1777 like this.
  5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

They were already 3th in 2020.

Maybe they can even beat Red Bull and become 2nd, but obviously that assumes that Mercedes will stay Number One!

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I think so too.

7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    When I was younger I hated the Mclaren team too, I couldn't hate Mika though. Same for Mika's replacement...big fan quickly. At the time I disliked DC because of Spa 98, but of course I was much younger then. Now he's one of my hero's. Genuinely nice guy. Still, each time the Mclaren's did beat the Ferrari's back then it was a bad weekend for me!

Really grew to dislike the team after Montoya and Kimi left. Their choice of drivers didn't help but their smugness played a big part.

These days with Zak Brown running the show I'm a fan of the team. He's a proper, proper car guy and always comes across as a super nice guy. I'm happy the team is moving forwards each year.

Don't want them beating Red Bull this season though, unless a miracle happens and they beat Mercedes too :D

stavura, 635CSI and Nembo1777 like this.
  8. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    It will be the first time that the Mercedes powerplant is matched to a great team that is not Mercedes. Racing Point for all its accused copying never got that car to work as it should, I hope McLaren can. Midfield battles will become less intense, RB will have to look behind rather than forward I'm guessing for P2...

DF1 likes this.
  9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes I never had a problem with Mika himself nice guy who survived an awful accident but he fit the cold image of the team. DC beyond his unsmiling square jawed stance I like, he is a very interesting articulate guy (who had in Heidi Wichlinski the prettiest gf ever though his wife Karen is stunning too). He is funny when he went to fly passenger in Royal Air force jets with Lewis and the pilots started briefing them in a meeting room in very technical terms he said "Sorry you lost me at hello.":) Of course Spa 98 was just a misunderstanding.

I like Kimi a lot more now than then but my man was JPM, incredibly quick and confident, he had Schumi rattled a number of times and should have been WDC in 2003 but events went pear shaped. It was great to meet him in the paddock a the Indycar GP of Miami one year when he was grand marshall, already in F1. I think he and Dennis were very incompatible. Of course he has his temper and the "Tennis" injury did not help. I hope he wins Indy again this year...with McLaren.

In Monaco during Historic GP weekend I was introduced to Zak brown by Richard Dean, whose endurance team has run Alonso and others, Richard used to race with me in Formula Ford in the Uk in the late 80's (he was one of the very top guys usually ahead!). Zak was very friendly a true enthusiast and when I drove a 512M 1971 for a Classic & Sports Car article he congratulated me in a nice message.

So, as long as they stay behind the red cars, go Dan and Lando!

10. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    3th??

2nd? Shouldn't that be 2rd?

;)

william likes this.
  11. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Max rarely bothers using his mirrors

:D

Bas likes this.
  12. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

stavura, Bas and 375+ like this.
  13. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    ....just don't ask him to speak Italian

On a more serious note, I hope McLaren continues the winning form they've shown over the past 2 or 3 seasons. I do, however, worry about the powerplant install. If all goes well, we could see them challenging for more podiums and maybe even 2nd in the constructors. On the other hand, they're basically re-designing the car from the air scoop back, and this in a period where development is limited by "tokens". Much as I like the drivers and current team boss, a large part of me fears that they may wind up having "teething" problems for much of the year.

Bas and Nembo1777 like this.
  14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

Yes agreed

My business partner when he lived in Monaco was good mates with DC and had some great stories about him. DC used to come to his apartment on weekends and have some serious benders.

Agree about JPM...he was an ****** but man what a breath of fresh air in what became ever more corporate. If there ever was a team less suited to him (and Kimi) it was Ron Dennis' Mclaren! These days he's a bit calmer but man he still tells it like it is. Would love to have a beer with him some time.

Very cool regarding Zak Brown. I listened to his podcast on byond the grid and this guy is so nice. Like you say a true enthusiast. A couple of days ago I read the story about Jeremy Clarkson and his last laps at the top gear track, how he set up a 1 day event where people could donate some money towards charity for laps...and guess who it was in the pics? Zak Brown with his kids! The man lives and breathes cars

15. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I don´t think they can go better than their current 3rd. It looks just a little improvement (3rd to 2nd is just one up) but Red Bull was way ahead at every race.

Probably they´ll beat Aston Martin with more ease than last year.

375+, Bas and jpalmito like this.
  16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I would say you're right, for 2021 of course. It's a big change for them.

The renault engine did really well on the opening 2 laps where it did have fantastic power but it still seemed to lack after that.

17. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Well, I hope they beat Mercedes.

18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    McLaren-Mercedes - has a rather vintage ring to it, like so many years ago.....

william, DF1 and Remy Zero like this.
  19. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Interesting drivers as well with Ricci and Norris

william likes this.
  20. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I hope they do well. The sport needs McLaren up there near the front. Same for Ferrari obviously. One thing is for sure, McLaren probably have the best race strategists and development engineers. Last season they totally outperformed their car time and time again. Should be good to see their progress. Hopefully they’ve learnt from their mistakes with Honda and Renault.

DF1, jgonzalesm6 and william like this.