430 - Help - Newbie | FerrariChat

430 Help - Newbie

Discussion in '360/430' started by Rayraypico, Jan 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rayraypico

Rayraypico Rookie

Jan 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Ray P Randazzo
    Looking for some guidance as I am about to possibly purchase my dream car...this would be my first plunge into a Ferrari.

I can obtain a 05 F430 for 75k with 42k miles on it. The car has all service records and the clutch was replaced less then 1k miles before.

Is there any reason not to jump at this deal?

The mileage is a bit higher then I want, but the price point is great.

Thoughts?

VAF84 likes this.
  2. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Personally, I'd want to have a thorough PPI from a trusted/qualified source before taking the plunge. I think you'll get more potentially helpful feedback if you post a link to the listing. I don't think there's any risk forum members would buy the car out from under you.

VAF84 likes this.
  3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Start with the sticky at the top of this section. It covers 360 and 430 issues. PPI may not add a lot if you know what to ask and/or look for but it will make you more comfortable on your first purchase (I bought my 2nd car from pictures and no PPI). The service records are important to tell you the condition and don't be fooled, it is ALL about condition because parts are expensive.

And yes, post a link or more info and you will get useful feedback. This is a good group.

VAF84 likes this.
  4. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    I met a guy with a blue F430 who tracked it a few years back. He drove it hard on the track and had 75,000 miles on it; so the F430 is a pretty solid car if you maintain it. As Bruce said get a PPI and buy the car as the mileage is reflected in the price. Heck you can't take you money with you but you sure the hell can enjoy it by getting an F430. :)

Daryl Zernick and Skidkid like this.
  5. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I wouldn’t worry about the miles. Price seems right for it. I’d just have it checked for body work, and would still be good to have professional look over the car. Also, what’s the color combo? In general price seems about right for mileage, and a quick sale assuming all else is reasonably good. I think it’s a hell of deal if color combo is good, and you’re not worried about ever having to do a quick resell. That’s usually the hang up for a lot of people (harder to resell).

6. Rayraypico

Rayraypico Rookie

Jan 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Ray P Randazzo
    Thanks everyone for the guidance!!!

7. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    When you go to take a look at it, you might be well served, as I was, by buying this and reviewing before purchasing: https://www.normalguysupercar.com/product/ferrari-f430-buyers-guide-hard-copy-book/

AandSC and hessank like this.
  8. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I’m biased, of course. I have an ‘05 430 with just shy of 50k miles on it. Took a bit to get it into top mechanical condition once I bought it, but after that it is a solid, reliable and great driving car.

Based on just the year and mileage, if everything else checks out $75k is a great deal. I know I wouldn’t let mine go for that.

gsworld2014 likes this.
  9. TexasVince

TexasVince Rookie

Jun 9, 2018
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I've owned two F430's, an 06 and currently an 08 with no major issues so far. I'm echoing the PPI, its a must, but don't be afraid of a higher mileage car IF it has been well maintained and has documentation. It's great that the clutch is replaced as they run about $6k - $8k to replace. I would also ask about what model headers are on the car, Mark I's or Mark II's? Also, if you can have someone who has driven an F430 before test drive it with you, that would be a plus. They will know if the car feels odd. 75k seems a bit low, check the CarFax for collisions and get that PPI, its worth it.

imahorse likes this.
  10. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I agree and would add this: Check the wheel well arches. If they are super clean they've been replaced, probably from collision damage. Check for missing bolts, washers, and screws. Indicates sloppy maintenance. Use a SD3 or Launch tool to get a count of miles in each gear. Lots of 6th gear mileage is good, indicates long trips on freeways. Lots of 1st and second gear miles indicates stop and go traffic, not good. Check max oil and coolant temps ever recorded. Very high is not good. It will also show number of rev limiter shifts. If there are lots, the car was tracked or driven like a maniac on back roads. If none of these bad signs are present, jump on it. Whatever can break probably already has and been replaced. Check clutch PIS and clutch used/remaining. Change all the fluids and filters. Very few flush the F1 system, and most never change the gearbox oil/filter.

In boca al lupo!

Ray

11. PCarRI

PCarRI Karting

Feb 23, 2020
    Rhode island, USA
    If the car has been serviced well, and you’re not looking for a “collectible” car to look and and you want to drive it, 42k miles is nothing. You could put another 30k miles on it and prob get close to what you paid for it, these cars really are at the bottom of their depreciation curve. Before the flaming starts, I said “close”... lol
    Colors, spec, coupe or spider? Those all seem to affect the value.
    All that’s said, $75k seems to be a bit low, so unless you find title issues or other mechanical stuff mentioned above, jump on it. Even the headers you can get replaced for $5k all in with good aftermarkets, and you’ll still be below where I’d think the car is valued.
    Just my $0.02.

Ray Smith likes this.
  12. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    I have a similar story. Mine has 53K on it and is a great car. Remember it’s still a 16-year-old car so he will have to replace stuff.

Ray Smith likes this.
  13. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick