Failed CA smog test. | FerrariChat

Failed CA smog test.

Discussion in '348/355' started by ferraridriver, Jul 28, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #1 ferraridriver, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
    I just took the car (99 355 F1) for a smog test and it failed the 15 MPH rest with NO at 776PPM. The 25 MPH passed with 280 PPM.

The last test was just six months ago and 1,000 miles. It passed easily then.

Would a bad O2 sensor cause this and shouldn't that set a light? I have never had a Check Engine light.

Which side is the number one bank from the rear of the car looking forward?

2. PA Charles Ferrari F355

Apr 3, 2010
    Chester County
    Full Name:
    Charles B.
    I would get an OBDII reading on it and check to see what codes come up for a proper diagnosis. I'm lucky living in the state of Pennsylvania, as I'm emissions exempt as long as I put less than 5,000 miles per year. I'm lucky that each year they keep slapping an emissions sticker on my F355 with the tubi exhaust and test pipes. California I know is a different story.

3. sdbmwfxr

sdbmwfxr Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    San Diego
    What was your HC level during the failed NO?

Also, which side did they test last time??

a scanned copy would help.

4. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #4 ferraridriver, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
    Today= %CO2 14.2, %O2 0.6, HC (PPM) 18, CO% 0.02, NO (PPM) 776

6 months and 1,000 miles ago
    %CO2 14.6, %O2 0.0, HC (PPM) 12, CO% 0.03, NO (PPM) 109

The only real change is the NO readings, from 109 to 776 in the 15 MPH test. 424 is passing

The 25 MPH test passed with the NO readings at 280. 711 is passing for 25 MPH

I'm going to try to get the ODB2 scanner on it tomorrow and see if there are any codes.

5. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Is there a way of checking the air injection at the manifolds. There is a valve cap there, can it be checked with a pressure gauge? if so, what should the pressure be?

6. m5guy

m5guy Formula 3

Aug 17, 2008
    Ventura, CA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Hmmm, I always thought HC and NOx values moved inversely to each other. That is, high HC is supposed to be a possible rich condition and high NOx is supposed to be a possible lean condition. Don't know where I originally got this info, just repeating it in the event it corroborates any of the other information you obtain. Good luck!

7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I can think of a bunch of things which could cause problems some cheap and some expensive. But in this case it really looks like high NOx and the Hc is fine. Most diy'er don't have tools like the pros so you gotta take potshots at likely candidates. I'd be looking for obvious vac leaks. Throw an obd2 testor on there to get some clues. You can have pending codes that do not show on the mil as an example. You can also read more than just codes on better testors. Scope the engine to see what the electronics were doing like looking for misfires. All that stuff can be done for a few hundred bucks in meters and such. Or some smog shops or even the local gas station usually have the equipment to scope the engine for the $50 buck range and 15mins of time. I don't know what the 355 has for an EGR system but looking in that direction is a good idea to. Failing EGR sytem can wreck NOx output. Lets hope for cheap easy stuff.

8. mpodgor

mpodgor Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2005
    San Mateo, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Michael J Podgorski
    I just smogged my 1999 F355. Passed very good. I took her to the 76 station in Belmont. It's at the intersection of Ralston & Old county Rd. Guy named Norm. Knows his stuff. Not sure where in the bay area you are but sometimes a second opinion is worth it. Good luck.

9. sdbmwfxr

sdbmwfxr Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    San Diego
    One big change you have overlooked is the increase in 02%. In an OBDII car, an increaase from 0.0 to 0.6 is massive. You aren't getting a good burn from either the cat, or something else. How cold was the car? What octane gas are you running?

If I were you, I would go out and pound on the car with at least 94 octane in the tank and get the thing good and hot. Then pull it right into the smog test and you'll probably pass. NO is not your problem right now, it is the presence of too much O2, which in turn in pushing your HC and NO numbers up slightly. you aren't that far away from passing.

Definitely get the octane up to 94 via boost or better yet, a few gallons of 100 octane. And then keep it at 94. People who run 91 here in CA in their F355's are not doing it any favors in the least.

10. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Pre cat readings, there are ports provided will really help pinpoint your concern. NO is caused by high combustion chamber temperatures. Generally lean conditions cause this but ignition timing, camshaft timing and catalyst concerns plus anything causing engnie to run hot are all items that need to be looked into.

11. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    OK, here's what happened today, I used electrical cleaner on the connectors, but not the sensors themselves, put it all back together and took it to the smog guy Michael suggested. (BTW, a really nice guy, thanks Michael) Now there are two different codes. P0131 and P0137, Both passenger side O2 sensors have low voltage!

I've ordered two more sensors but they won't be here until Wednesday.

I'd really appreciate any help on this as the car is sold and I can't deliver it until it's smoged.

12. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I am always leary of new codes that pop up especially when you have done something. That code could be the 02 sensors themselves or the wiring to them. First thing I would think of is to take the connectors apart again. Clean them again on the sensor and the car side and let dry or blow out with compressed air. I would bend the pins of the connectors to ensure good contact. Then I would erase the codes and see if they come back.
    Also, this new issue once resolved may still not solve the old no pass condition.

13. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I've had the connectors apart several times, they look good. I'm not worried about having two more O2 sensors if that doesn't fix the problem because they're the same as the 550.

Thing is I don't know what voltage I should have on which wires in the car side of the connectors. Shouldn't I have some heater voltage on some pins?

14. Loser

Loser Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Gilroy, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I had a similar issue three years ago and replacing the O2 sensors resolved the problem.

15. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yes heater is ground and 12V+ so O2 sensor does not have to rely on engine heat alone to get into closed loop function. With most DIGITAL VOM's you can back probe the trigger wire (while engine running up to temp in closed loop) and look for fluctuating voltage say around 0.2-0.8V. Low voltage hanging can imply bad sensor or real problem upstream like Vac leak which would also spike your NOx because lean mixtures are hot and hot=more NOx. This code could be a coincidence or really be something.

16. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I replaced both right side O2 sensors, passed with flying colors.

Nox went from 776 down to 77

Now I just have to round up everything that goes with it and deliver it to it's new owner.

Kinda sad to see it go after twelve and a half years but it's time to move on.

17. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks for posting the solution. Always nice to have an answer like this filed away for future searches.

18. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    Smog pump and cats available for $250 or in trash in a week.

19. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    NOx is produced when cylinder to temperatures reach 2500° the egr system dilutes the air charge to lower cylinder temperatures if your co and hc reading are some what good and the NOx is going out of range at 15 mph but gets better at higher speeds you will need a scan tool to check short and long term fuel trims and also check the egr system possible that one bank is not getting efficient flow of exhaust gas at lower road speeds

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    try getting your exhaust hotter take it for a good hi way rip and then get to the smog shop
    Or you could wrap your cats that is if they are like hi flows
    If they are stock it will still help.
    If it does not pass in my experience the post o2 sensor is giving problems.

you could also look at your fuel trims to make sure nothing is major wrong

21. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My post was from July 2011, problem was solved long ago.

22. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thanks missed that