Coffin-Spoke Wheels | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Coffin-Spoke Wheels

Discussion in '308/328' started by MaranelloDave, May 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I look forward to seeing them on your car Dave. Niklas, send me a PM saying which size (16” cast or 17” forged) and widths. I think we are up to about 5 people now so half way to making cast a viable option at around £800-1000/set. Forged 17” needs only one set ordered and can be shipped in a few weeks (about £1200 last time I checked.)

2. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    Thoughts on weight? The NTM website is quoting an example coffin spoke wheel around 10kg and an example modular 308 wheel around 15kg (but the 308 wheel is larger diameter and width, in the example given). How would the coffin spoke wheels compare to the Superformance reproduction 308 wheels in aluminium and compared to the original wheels in magnesium?

3. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    The original 8x15" mag coffin spokes are 6.4kg each and the rear 12x15"mag coffin spokes are 8.4kg each, the Nori split rims in the same size are lighter still.

4. steven_ew

steven_ew Karting

Apr 3, 2009
    Interesting. Any one remember what the original magnesium wheels weighed and what the superformance ones weighed? I had this information written down before when I was looking into having reproduction 308-style magnesium wheels made before but they were >£6k per set

5. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    The cast 16” will be close to the weight of the reproduction cast 16” wheels. 17” forged will also be similar (lighter due to forged but 17”>16”). The 17” would wear a lower profile tyre so would be lighter altogether.

6. NiklasWalentin

Apr 14, 2014
    @derekw , would be happy to send you a PM, but where do I find that option ? - sorry everyone for such a ridiculous question out in the open, but I am new to the Forum and have been looking all over on the interface here. Can't find the pm option anywhere.

7. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Hi Niklas, no worries, it's a good question since it's not obvious at all! This forum software calls private messages 'Conversations', there's two ways to start a Conversation. On the main top menu bar, hover your mouse pointer over your name on the right side, and there will pop up a box with options, including Conversations. Click on that, then you will see an option at the top to 'Start a Conversation', and you can list 'derekw' in that. Second option is to click on 'derekw' name on one of his posts, and that pops up a box with a 'Start a Conversation' option directly under the 'Member since...' line.

Cheers,
    Gordon

NiklasWalentin likes this.
  8. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Back in 2015, I weighed my original Cromodora magnesium alloy 16" wheels, along with a set of same-size BBS E50 3 piece mesh wheels:

Front 16x7 = 15.4 lbs, or 7 kg; rear 16x8 = 15.2 lbs, or 6.9 kg.

steven_ew likes this.
  9. jines

jines Rookie

Nov 13, 2017
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    J. Ines
    Hey Derek, I'd be interested in a set barring duties, tax and shipping into the US. NC, USA.
    Mind sending me more details in a private message on what's all needed?

Thanks,

10. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Just tell me if you want only 16” cast, only 17” forged, or either type. The forged can be ordered any time but the cast needs a few more people to get the numbers to cover the minimum order

11. NiklasWalentin

Apr 14, 2014
    Thanks a lot Gordon, you have saved me from many more endless clicks ..

GordonC likes this.
  12. mauriciocaste

mauriciocaste Rookie

Jul 4, 2014
    Hi, I'm interested in a 16" set of the cast wheels. (8" front and 9" rear). to TX USA.
    I hope we can get enough people to make it happen.
    Thanks

13. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Likewise. Santa Rosa CA

14. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Try emailing Gerry at exoticautospares.com. There's nothing listed on the site, but he does have a large collection of wheels yet to be photographed. I have seen a set there before, I don't know if they are still there or not. Doesn't hurt to ask!

Sent from my SM-G935F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

RamsHmb likes this.
  15. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Dave, do you have your wheels yet? Sent you a PM with some questions. Thanks, John

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

16. ryanbushell

ryanbushell Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    Sign me up for a set for my 85 QV too! PM sent Derek

17. Design Dave

Design Dave Rookie

Jul 24, 2020
    Uk
    Full Name:
    Dave slocombe
  18. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Those are going to look nice! Have you determined what tires you will be using?

19. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    We might have enough people interested to get the cast 16” x 8” made if we use that size front and back. I don’t think we will reach the numbers to cover two mould costs and two MOQs. One company claims they can roll the casting lips to give both 8” and 9” but another (well respected OEM) says it’s not possible.

Could those interested in 8” all round drop me a line. Cost may be a bit more than the £800-1000/set initial estimate due to shipping prices shooting up but they may normalize in the next months.

20. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    So the rolling to different widths/offsets is no problem. It was having different spokes that requires two moulds. I had asked if they could machine off the outer edges of the rear 9” wheels’ spokes so that they didn’t go into the lip area (like the original Stratos wheels) but they said they couldn’t. So the front and back wheels will look very similar.

21. Design Dave

Design Dave Rookie

Jul 24, 2020
    Uk
    Full Name:
    Dave slocombe
    Was thinking of a fresh set of toyo proxes but happy to hear suggestions or recommendations!

22. Stimbow

Stimbow Rookie

Sep 3, 2020
    Uk
    I’ve just picked up a gt4 and just read this thread.I too would like 16” coffin spokes in 16”x8 fronts and 16”x9 rears.
    Is this group buy still going ahead?

23. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    When you've had a few different types of wheels on your car, and if you actually drive it, the ability to clean a wheel is important. These look like dust traps. I am long over appearance over function.

24. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I’ll try to find time between work and summer holidays to make a list and contact all those who wanted cast 16” coffin spoke wheels to see who is still interested as we should have enough or very close if all are still interested and the shipping to EU and US is not too prohibitive.

25. RodC328gts

RodC328gts Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    Any pictures of these in the car?
    Which tire size you used?