Official Ferrari 488 GT Modificata thread | FerrariChat

Official Ferrari 488 GT Modificata thread

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by roma1280, Jan 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    So as some of you may have seen, Ferrari are launching a super limited track car based on the racecars that are hand-built by Michelotto, the epic 488 GT3 and 488 GT3. Sounds like the best of both and there will be no power restrictions.

2. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    So it can’t be raced like a GT3 or GTE but you do get to keep it, unlike the XX cars. If you have ever seen a 488 GT3 up close it is a work of art. I used to admire the GT3 that Ferrari would bring to all the challenge car weekends.

3. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    #3 roma1280, Jan 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    So basically it’s an unbelievably awesome track car and I think only a few dozen will be made. Is anyone getting one? Will it be coveted in the future like the 599xx or F40LM or 333? The next generation race cars might be hybrid. Thoughts anyone??

4. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Ive heard the price for this too!!! Holy ^^^^

5. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    hmm ... well yes, the construction is just like the GTE (which is quite a bit more expensive than the GT3) and it is mostly carbon fiber etc. What price do you put on the most exclusive track weapon to come out of Maranello for some time?

of2worlds and carguyjohn350 like this.
  6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I am hoping to wrap my challenge car similar to this.

roma1280 likes this.
  7. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    that’s a pretty good way to save 7 figures lol, maybe I’ll do that too ...

Gh21631 likes this.
  8. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I still haven't found the difference to the standard 488 GT3.... except the 300K price difference.

308gr4, ewright and roma1280 like this.
  9. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I think the closest comparison would be a GTE because it shares the mostly carbon fiber bodywork except for the uprights and roof. I believe that the GTE costs more than the GT3, but not sure how much more so maybe the difference is €200k?

10. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Ok so this is the tough question, you can get a fully serviced, race-ready GT3 in perfect condition and low mileage (say 10k km) for around $500k. Once the GTM has been used a bit, if you want to sell, is it special enough to command more than double a used GT3?

11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Not to me, if the gap decreases then maybe.

roma1280 likes this.
  12. Ferri

Ferri Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hugo Garritsen
    Difficult to say, but in my eyes (I'm no dealer/broker etc, just a fan of GT racing) history is made on track in official races. The more important the race(series) the more coveted the car will be. A Le Mans Class winner is the holy grail, followed by a WEC Championship winner, Spa 24H winner, Daytona 24H winner etc. Track events are (again in my opinion) at the end of the list. So why not buy a GTE or GT3 to enjoy on track?

Hugo

13. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The 488 GTE costs 752'000 EUR excl VAT and options and the GT3 is somewhere around 600K.

The 488GT/M costs 900K as I was told, it shares the same bodywork, chassis, suspension and engine as the 488GT3 (it IS a 488 GT3). The "no restricion" doesn't count to me as when you order a new GT3 you dont have any BoP on it as long as you haven't decided which championship you are doing. Same with the "identical suspension as the GTE" as from 2020, the GT3 EVO update included wheelbase and rear suspension of the GTE.
    To me, the GT/M is nothing else than a 488 GT3....

My question still stands, what is the difference between the M and a regular GT3? nobody could give me an answer yet.

Dont get me wrong, the 488 GT/M is an amazing Track Car, but so is a 488GT3 and if you really want something special get a 488GTE, run it without any restrictions and put Michelins on it (not that crappy Pirellis)

Chimaera, Melons, JAM1 and 3 others like this.
  14. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    This is very helpful, actually I think the price is €980k plus taxes, plus transport to your destination, so yes if it is really a GT3 then the €250k premium is really a lot.

Also the point that Hugo made is a good one. Value and mystique are created with racing history.

I don’t understand how the engine restrictions work (maybe someone can explain). If you bought a used GT3 to enjoy on the track can you un-restrict the engine?

15. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    It comes with 2 years of the World Club GT so that's 120k of the difference there. If you were planning on incurring that full cost anyway, that should be considered. Shake down at Fiorano included but that probably also comes with the non M version.

roma1280 likes this.
  16. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I don’t know of many people that want to incur that sort of cost just to do laps. Maybe one event a year. And yes if you buy any GT3/GTE that will include a shakedown anywhere you want.

Elisesko likes this.
  17. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The Performance is mainly balanced via Weight, Turbo Pressure (or intake manifold in NA Engines) and fuel tank capacity and it depends alot of which other cars you competing against or what the promoter wants in terms of different categories performance.

I give you a simple but very interesting example:
    BoP of the Ferrari 488GT3 in two different championships. GT Open and the former Blancpain GT Championship (now aka GT World Challenge powered by AWS...)

Track: Spa Francorchamps

SRO BoP
    Super Pole Spa 24h best Ferrari 2019 (2020 was in late autum and wet) 2.18.8, Pirelli Tires

GTOpen
    2020 Pole Position in Q2, done by Vince Abril, 2.13.7, Michelin comercial tires (not the WEC confidential)

5 seconds difference! the same Car!

and all that just because of a different BoP....(and Michelins instead of Pirellis) SRO runs at a low performance profile for the 488 because otherwise Porsche can't keep up. There is no Porsche in GTOpen to Balance so thats why they are running a high performance BoP.

So imagine what a non restricted, tire optimized and weight optimized Standard GT3 or GTE will be able to do.....

of2worlds, Ferri and Elisesko like this.
  18. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    This is super interesting thank you. So with your final comment are you saying the GTM will be interesting because it will be unrestricted and optimized or are you saying any GT3 can be unrestricted and optimized?

19. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    you can run the GT3 unrestriced and I dont really see the point of the M. From my current knowledge and point of view, I haven't found any difference between the GT3 and the M. At least no one was able to tell me. So both cars unrestriced (which is easy to do on the GT3) should have the same performance but quite a significant price difference....

20. chouch

chouch Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2008
    chrixxx can confirmed that, but I'm pretty sure sure XX owners can keep their XX car at home if they want to.
    But for the people that are actively invested in the XX and F1 Clienti programs, it makes more sense to have the factory deal with the logistic of moving the cars around.

21. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I can confirm that, I could have my F1 at home, in my bedroom if I want. but if you want to run it on a regular base it is easier to store it in Maranello. Otherwise you have to take care of all the logistic stuff. I have less of a headache when she is stored at her birthplace... but its NOT mandatory that you store it at Ferrari. I'm not sure about the XX Cars but I guess its the same.

carguyjohn350 likes this.