IMSA 2021 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

IMSA 2021

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by kylec, Dec 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Plenty of boneheaded driving so far. I had joked in another place that the Porsches wouldn’t be able to hit each other at this race.

2. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

lol

That move by Calado in the Risi Ferrari was pretty boneheaded.

mdrums and Nuvolari like this.
  3. Indeed. plenty of BS yellow too....... :oops:

kylec likes this.
  4. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    It has seemed that they have been very quick to throw the yellows this year. I have always applauded IMSA in the past for waiting till there was no other option but to throw the flag.

5. Schultz

Schultz Karting

Mar 9, 2014
    Midwest
    Quick to throw, ages to get rid of...

kylec and lorenzobandini like this.
  6. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
  7. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    What do we think about the inclusion of LMP3?

I was expecting a **** show like the old PC category but so far not so bad.

8. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I have to say I am pretty impressed with the #57 Winward Mercedes in GTD. They stepped up from Michelin Pilot Challenge to run the 24. I wasn't expecting it, but they have been near the front all race.

9. Wake up to 2/3 of the race gone and still 90% of the field running. Hogwash.

Let 'em breathe so they can build 'em to the max with strategy to win rather than a show for the sponsors and uninitiated "fans"........

As usual, of past two decades, it's time to find something else to do today. This boredom don't get it......

10. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

You are upset there are TOO MANY cars left in the race?

11. Absolutely. When it's only because the longevity is mandated by the rules (whoever heard of street engines producing more than their racing counterparts)....restrictors/power max mandate followed by BoPing (to "level the playing field".....wtf is that in auto racing? Too slow?.....build a better car.).

In what universe should there be 5 cars on the lead lap after 18 hours unless the "show" is designed for sponsors exposure and the entertainment of those that enjoy a contrived "good" (close) race. Forget that it's "orchestrated"....I just wanna go to the race movie.......not to see who can design, build, develop, and race the best.

Yup, I am "upset there are TOO MANY cars left in the race" unless the rules are re-opened and coincidentally it happens....which in real endurance racing is a very, very, very rare occasion. The last I remember was le Mans, 1969.

12. Correction......21 hours...... :rolleyes:

13. #38 lorenzobandini, Jan 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    I forgot about the yellows to keep 'em bunched up.

Like this one....a yellow for Dixon's flat? 'Not even any shrapnel on the track??? C'monnnnnn........gimme a break...... :rolleyes:
    The 11, shredding sheet all over the track, no yellow? Of course not....they were nobody.....

14. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    I can't fathom someone being upset that cars are still racing each other for the win after 23 hours of racing.

That was a great 24. My favorite race of the year delivers yet again.

Devilsolsi likes this.
  15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    At one point quite late, Risi's Ferrari was leading in GTLM, but next time I looked they were 68 seconds back, so they must have made a pit stop, and thus missed the podium.

Mercedes 1-2 (in GTD). Where else in racing have we seen that before? :mad:

Jakuzzi likes this.
  16. #41 lorenzobandini, Jan 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    (A)Maybe you can if you read my explanation in post #36. I love when cars are racing (an endurance "race", not endurance "show") to the win, not parading (leveling the playing field, for the "show") their sponsors banner to the finish.

(B) Of course it does, by design......a more "exciting" (artificially close) show, not an endurance racing test of the best minds have to offer.. Again, explained in #36.

As I stated, the last close race between two.....unrestricted, unBoPed..... different designs that finished (24 hours, 3,000+ miles,) close together I remember was '69 Le Mans, the 908 (Hans) and the GT40 (Jacky), passing and re-passing each lap at the end. A real race, not a parade.

Not as close (same lap, 2 mins. separation after 2,400+ miles), but real (unrestricted, unBoPed) excitement.....regarding the Daytona 24?
    1996, the 333SP (Max), chasing the R&S MkIII down (was it Wayne?), to no avail at the end, 150 MPH down pit road, turning laps just 1 sec. shy of it's qualifying time.

17. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I heard several drivers express that the team’s goal was to “finish on the podium.” Really? I thought the goal was to win the race. The whole podium thing is bull **** to me. Why should the first and second losers share the winner’s glory? It’s almost like a participation trophy. When you have so many classes, and so many drivers in each car, well, why don’t we just get everybody up on the podium? :)

18. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Well, the best things in life are so hard that just getting close is quite an achievement.

And in motorsport most even don´t have a winning car.

Nuvolari likes this.
  19. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I thought the Mazda DPi climb from 3 laps down to second place was remarkable.

mdrums likes this.
  20. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

Risi was on a different pit strategy. They never really had the pace to win so I think they were gambling on some more late cautions to make it.

21. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Drivers have repeatedly called the race a 24 Hour sprint race in interviews over the past few years so if they are giving it their all every single lap, it's good in my eyes.

I recall that 1996 race. The R&S had engine issues if I remember correctly. I frequently try to find Youtube footage of the 333SP going full bore down pit road because even as a kid (which I was in 1996) I couldn't believe what I was watching!

22. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Yes it was. I wish they had the pace at the end to get the win. Nothing would make me happier than a Mazda win at the 24.

23. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Found it:

5:45 mark. Just as unreal to watch now as it was back then!

24. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Yes, it was Wayne Taylor in the R&S! As driver or entrant, he has a way with Daytona.

25. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Just be glad no NASCAR driver won the race, those poor NBCS NASCAR bastards would have
    had a conniption right then and there.

We know NASCAR owns the series, but after all, it is a sports car racing series and while NASCAR,
    Indy Car and F1 drivers are welcomed guests, lets get over Jimmie was an 8-time champion, et.al.
    every time his car appears on screen.

Dale Earnhardt, Jr AND Kyle Petty as guest commentators? Really? If I had heard "This ain't the
    way we do it in NASCAR" one more time, I would have pulled out a gun and done an Elvis on the
    TV.

The constant NASCAR ass-licking has to stop.

BHW

Image Unavailable, Please Login