458 Air Intake Manifold Cover | FerrariChat

458 Air Intake Manifold Cover

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ggear, Sep 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ggear

Ggear Rookie

Aug 26, 2017
  2. maxvonauto

maxvonauto Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2015
    Corona
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I've removed the entire intake manifold for other reasons, which is what you'd need to do to paint the plenums. Trust me when I say the screw torques will be the least of your worries if you decided to proceed. Even for an experienced technician it's a pain in the butt. The factory manual does a poor job describing the procedure, but it hits the main elements.

3. Expat458

Expat458 Karting

Feb 27, 2017
    The Sand Pit
    Full Name:
    Paul Healey
    I agree 100% with Mark...

I also have removed the entire intake manifold to replace the red painted aluminium plenums with the carbon fibre plenums from a Speciale. Yes it was a big pain in the butt, but with the factory manual and a lot of patience it is doable.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Ggear

Ggear Rookie

Aug 26, 2017
    Thanks, the gasket's and paint arrived. Which page of the factory manual is the procedure on? I can't seem to find it.
    Thanks

5. Expat458

Expat458 Karting

Feb 27, 2017
    The Sand Pit
    Full Name:
    Paul Healey
    Section B4.04 of the workshop manual.

You will also need a lot of various sized one time use only hose clamps.

6. Ggear

Ggear Rookie

Aug 26, 2017
    Thank you for your information. I've just read it through. Do you know what the part numbers of the clamps are?
    Seems like a hassle. I already have the wrinkle paint. I wonder if it's possible to just spray the paint on the chipped parts and using a heat gun or heat lamp?

7. Ggear

Ggear Rookie

Aug 26, 2017
    Thank you for your information. I've just read it through. Do you know what the part numbers of the clamps are?
    Seems like a hassle. I already have the wrinkle paint. I wonder if it's possible to just spray the paint on the chipped parts and using a heat gun or heat lamp?

8. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Does anyone know the response to this question? I have chipping factory paint on my 458 plenum and want to repaint it with VHT red wrinkle but don’t want to go through the hassle of removing everything. Is it possible to just spray a new coat over the top wile covering everything else with plastic to prevent overspray?

9. Mel Spillman

Mel Spillman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    I have had good luck with spraying the VHT paint into a jar and using a good brush to apply.

10. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Mel, do
    Mel, do you have any photos you can post? With the brush what technique do you use, how many coats? Does it give the wrinkle/pebbly affect?

11. Mel Spillman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
  12. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Mel, bravo that is outstanding. I have a couple questions as I plan to do this project imminently and am very appreciative for your insight.

-What sort of brushing technique did you use to avoid leaving brush marks?

-Did you paint the manifolds without removing them?

thank you!

13. Mel Spillman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    No special technique, just a good brush. I was actually surprised how easy the paint went on. Have a rag with some paint thinner on it in case you get the red paint where you don't want it. Do you mean the intake manifolds? I did remove them to clean and detail when I have some motor work done, but I did not remove the red plenums to paint. Did that at a later date. Mel

14. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Mel,
    Thank you. Yes, I’m referring to the plenums! Did you paint them still installed in the car, or did you wait to paint them once you removed them?

Also, did you bake them in an oven after painting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Mel Spillman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    Yes, I painted them still installed on the car. The original wrinkle texture was good enough for me without using any heat. Mel

16. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Mel, that’s wonderful news and gives me confidence to do this project myself. Did you do any prep work beforehand like sanding, degreasing, etc. or did you just paint right over the old paint?

17. Mel Spillman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    I used a waxing grease remover prior to painting. No sanding. You can do it! Good luck! Send me some pictures when you’re finished.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Thanks Mel! Last question- did you heat up the engine before you started painting and how long did you wait for everything to dry before driving, 24 hours?

Will definitely send before and after photos. Let’s just hope my engine bay doesn’t look like a Jackson Pollock painting when I’m done with it.

19. Mel Spillman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    I did not heat up the engine prior to painting. Just make sure the surface is clean!!!!! I would say 24 hrs. is plenty of time. Looking forward you the photos!, Mel

20. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Does ambient temperature matter? Right now its about 35 degrees outside and 40 degrees in my garage. Shouldn’t be an issue right? Or better to wait until warmer weather?

21. Mel Spillman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    VHT recommends temperature be between 60 -95 degrees F. May be better to wait till it's a little warmer.

22. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    What grit sandpaper is best for sanding red paint from the top of the raised FERRARI lettering on the plenum to make it silver again?

Warmer weather is here, so i'll be doing this pretty soon.

Checklist items I am getting for the project:

Waxing grease remover
    Paint brush
    VHT wrinkle red spraypaint
    Cannister to decant the spraypaint from the can
    Rag with paint thinner for any mistakes
    Painters tape/plastic sheets
    Sandpaper (what grit?) for sanding the top surface of the FERRARI letters and the raised lines near it.