2177 ~2179 errors ... care to share ? | FerrariChat

2177 ~2179 errors ... care to share ?

Discussion in '612/599' started by Volquete, Jan 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Volquete

Volquete Rookie

Jan 10, 2021
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    Well , I’ve had all knock sensors changed due to one of them failing , so to prevent double work, I had them all replaced . Also done major service , engine and F1 transmission.
    Now , oddly enough , I’ve been getting these two codes and so far , no clue as to where to look . Also , very recently, my left exhaust isn’t running all that well : it pops and “burps” , and isn’t smooth at idle .
    -it isn’t the Gas cap.
    -no exhaust leaks
    -gaskets have all been replaced and are genuine parts .

... leaves me with o2 sensors , MAF, post-maf intakes .... and not much more ?

A person posted the same question some while ago , and while I tried to ask him , he hasn’t logged in so far . I’ll also post a picture of said CEL errors , maybe someone can make an input ...

The car is currently in a Ferrari dealer in Marbella . Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    If i reading it right it is a lean condition which since on both banks i would say vacuum leak

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Mor likes this.
  3. Volquete

Volquete Rookie

Jan 10, 2021
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    Seems on both banks , yes ... but only one exhaust is acting up ... (left side /driver side), so the right bank is affected more ?

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Giving that both banks are currently present and the right bank is present and "light on" status i can only assume yes

Either way start looking for vacuum leaks since that is very common when work is done .. something can crack and come loose , or just plain forget to reattach

If you have the capability .. read short term fuel trims while idling and at 2500 k and if short term fuel trims seem to get better as you increase engine speed that would more likely be the vacuum leak

Mor likes this.
  5. Volquete

Volquete Rookie

Jan 10, 2021
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    “It would more likely be the vacuum leak”, IF the engine runs smoother at higher RPM...? What or where would potentially be the culprit then at lower RPM?

6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
  7. Volquete

Volquete Rookie

Jan 10, 2021
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    Ver
    Very kind of you ; it’s just that English isn’t my first language so I tend to get confused sometimes.

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    No problem .. let us know what the short fuel trim values look at various rpms .. also get fuel pressures and readings of air flow from MAf .. with that data we should be able to start pointing in the right direction

9. Volquete

Volquete Rookie

Jan 10, 2021
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    T
    By Saturday I should have info, I like to get involved in my cars , and learn . Tomorrow they’re starting with mafs and o2s by switching sides...

10. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    That is usually a good practice if you don't get the codes in both side ..that is not the case here .. but let us know .. based on the little i know from only a screen print my first guess would be a vacuum or fuel issue ..

11. Volquete

Volquete Rookie

Jan 10, 2021
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    Now that you mention it .. before the latest diagnostic I provided here , I had a prior diagnosis cleared . The two pictures I’ll upload now is a diagnosis immediately before the one I posted earlier on this thread .
    These codes have not shown up ever again once they were cleared , only to keep showing up the 2177-2179.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Volquete

Volquete Rookie

Jan 10, 2021
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    I’m figuring out codes , and there seems to be a connection with the odd idle in the left exhaust, engine running lean and past codes indicating faults “air related”...

13. Volquete

Volquete Rookie

Jan 10, 2021
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    *599GTB* and brogenville like this.
  14. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Great stuff. I've heard many people changing out MAF's as service items.

You may be aware already, but the active element inside the MAF if very easy to replace, and can be bought separately very cheaply (with genuine Bosch), or swapped from a MAF used in a much cheaper car. Basically you don't need to spend the silly money that Ferrari are charging for them.

Volquete likes this.
  15. Volquete

Volquete Rookie

Jan 10, 2021
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    A bit late ... Didn’t know that . An email was sent to get the replacement and arrived yesterday, and it’s been switched today . Don’t know the price anyway , so I hope it’s not too bad. Will definitely keep it in Mind for next time tho...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Ah, thats unfortunate. Well for future reference, the element insode the MAH housing is Bosch part number F00C2G2030. Its used in 100's of cars including many cheap Fiat's/Alfa's.

I'm sure you used to be able to buy the elements for a lot less, but here's a genuine part on ebay for £85:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1809515748

This is compared with £371 +VAT on eurospares. The only difference is that this part includes the tube that the element mounts inside, and comes in a nice box with little horses printed on it.

Volquete likes this.
  17. Volquete

Volquete Rookie

Jan 10, 2021
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    Very grateful for your time

18. Volquete

Volquete Rookie

Jan 10, 2021
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    False alarm , sadly . Idle is now correct , no burping from exhaust and no engine area air noise . But still have an emissions code popping on .

19. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The code may be left over if it has been continuous since the problem.

Volquete likes this.
  20. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    You would think because you have 2 codes for a lean problem on both banks after a service vacuum would be the first thing to check but if you have a fuel delivery problem that will also give a lean problem too without setting any codes for the fuel system you really need to look at the data from the ecm’s the only common link is the fuel delivery other wise both banks work as individual engines

Volquete and flash32 like this.
  21. Volquete

Volquete Rookie

Jan 10, 2021
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    All codes were erased , car ran properly Durant a set amount of miles , then reappeared. They are looking into fuel pump seals ..

22. Volquete

Volquete Rookie

Jan 10, 2021
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    We are thinking :

- errors are currently in one side of the engine . Cylinder 3-5-7 so to say . ECU pinpoints the problem on that .

Now , so far , what comes to mind is :
    - change knock sensors form one side to other
    - change injectors from one side to other

With that in mind ,my goal is to see if the errors change sides (from one bank to the other ).

Only thing I can additionally think of , is MAYBE I have an air leak in the fuel pump area or supply to the engine ... but that would trigger a global warning from Ecu, not specific cylinders... EXCEPT, if there are specific lines to fuel each set of cylinders ( 1 line per 3 cylinders)...?

Thoughts please ?

23. Volquete

Volquete Rookie

Jan 10, 2021
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    Cylinders 7-8-9 .

24. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    My bet is on inlet manifold gaskets. Good luck though!

Volquete likes this.
  25. Volquete

Volquete Rookie

Jan 10, 2021
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Ivan
    We triple changed them ... not there . Thanks for the input

brogenville likes this.