Top up or down when parking | FerrariChat

Top up or down when parking

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Rlurie1, Jan 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rlurie1

Rlurie1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ryan Lurie
    Do you guys always close the top when you park somewhere? What about at home in the garage, do you always park it with the top up?

At home I always leave it up but when I go somewhere, sometimes I wonder if it’s worse on the top to open and close it every time I park? Am I the only one who thinks like that lol?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    During a drive, it's completely random. More often than not, I think I do things based on weather. When I'm done for the day, I close the roof. I'm not too paranoid and have not had issue so far with my 488 and other drop tops.

3. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I would say its a matter of how secure a place is when you park. Friend's house; top down. Public parking area where you will be away for a while; up. Potential for weather change? Up! Keeping the top mechanism "exercised" is not a bad thing. Remember, Ferraris that sit unattended have more issues than those driven!

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I'm a top up kind of guy when I park it...T

5. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    Intrigued to know why you asked the question. I had the same question but in connection with the alarm system. In the summer, when I knew I was going to go out again opentop, I would leave the top open. Locked the car, which puts the alarm on of course. Once put my hand in to get something and the alarm went off. Since then, always close it if parking outside as a bit scared the wind may trigger the alarm. Wonder whether anyone else has any expeiience with the alarm and wind with the top open.

6. Rlurie1

Rlurie1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ryan Lurie
    I was just curious how often other people open and close the top. Hearing some stories on here about the convertible top being an issue, I just get scared now to “overuse” it, if that’s a thing. For example, I may drive the car somewhere with the top up so I don’t have to put it back up wherever I arrive. But on my way home, I’ll put the top down and just put it back up when I get home, that way I’m only using the top once that day.

7. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    That top is a very complex mechanism. The more you use it,the sooner you will spend $$$ on it.

8. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Oh, I think there's arguments on either side there ... using it regularly keeps the parts and fluids moving ... kind of like how cars that are driven regularly do better than the garage queens. The tops are manufactured by Webasto, and they make the hard tops in huge numbers for the other big manufacturers -- BMW, Mercedes, etc. I think the mechanisms are reasonably robust, it's more the Italian electronic wiring and sensors that seem to be finicky, no surprises there.

Putting the top up does help protect the leather from the sun -- and other things. Back when I had my last 911 convertible I used to leave the top down all the time. Ran over to the local hardware store, left the top down and ran inside for 10 minutes. Amazing seagull migration/altercation in the parking lot while I was in there, cars all over the place liberally splattered. I got lucky and only had one small hit on the center armrest (and a great big one dead center on the windshield). Ever since then ... ;)

alex and SLViper1 like this.
  9. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I think not opening it is more detrimental. The seals dry out and can cause problems. Make sure your battery is less than three years old. Old, weak batteries cause problems because the roof requires "juice" to open it. Also check with the service people regarding lubrication every so often. There are a lot of moving parts involved! I believe there is a thread somewhere on F-chat regarding how to lubricate and what to use. What good is a convertible if you're afraid to use it? As far as leaving the top open, if the car is in view, we will leave it open. We have a Weathertech sun shield that is custom designed for the California, and we protect the dash with that. We always close the top when we pull in the garage.

10. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    And, oh, drive, drive drive! These cars are meant to be driven. A properly maintained car should give you many miles of FUN!

tomc likes this.
  11. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    I used to always keep the top down on my convertible while parked on short errands, until some jackass threw a lit cigarette butt into my pristine 911 turbo cab and burned a hole in the linen leather passenger seat. Top up while parked since then....

12. Rlurie1

Rlurie1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ryan Lurie
    Unbelievable. It’s amazing what people feel like they can do to other peoples cars. Just ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk