Dino sun visor foam replacement | FerrariChat

Dino sun visor foam replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jselevan, Jan 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Has anyone figured out how to replace the disintegrating foam inside the visor? When sun is angled correctly I can see brown foam bits raining down on me. My lungs likely look the same. The visor is a plastic material heat-welded along the periphery. Would like to replace the foam. All suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Jim S.

2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
  3. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I was toying with a couple of ideas on the visors. If carefully slit along one edge you can take the frame out and hopefully fine stitch it closed again and I think it wouldn't be noticeable unless you were looking for it. That would leave all but 4" of the heat welded vinyl unmolested. You could also glue it shut and if done properly would be virtually imperceptible. As far as padding, Volara foam comes in several thicknesses and is fairly stiff (it is used under the felt on pool tables). I have also contemplated attaching an aluminum plate to fill in the large frame opening and gluing the thinnest Volara to both sides.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Thanks Tony and Racerboy - great help the pictures and old link. I will like go the razor blade route and glue or heat the seam back together.