88 Mondial cab tire choices | FerrariChat

88 Mondial cab tire choices

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by [email protected], Jan 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DMeluzio@aol.com

Mar 23, 2008
    Guys, I guess after 32 years its time for new tires on my 88 Mondial Cab! What is a good choice for a tire that might seem appropriate for a Ferrari. No Yokohama (great tire, just not on my Ferrari), Don

2. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    I have the BF Goodrich g Force Sports on my 1987, which also had 32 year old Goodyear Eagles on it when I bought it two years ago. The difference will astound you once you get rid of what I am sure are now rock hard tires.

3. ddiggler

ddiggler Karting

Nov 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    doug nelson
    I have the Continental extreme contact sport on my 86 cab. Don't know how well they are in the rain but they are great in the dry conditions.

4. Wingnut

Wingnut Karting

Feb 11, 2005
    Corolla, NC
    Same here on a 1990 Mondial t. Continental extreme contact sport. No complaints.

5. Chris Mondi

Chris Mondi Rookie

Oct 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris Riedinger
    Continental extreme contacts for me as well. Great look to them and stick to the road very well in dry conditions Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003 , is the tire that I installed . Sticky in the dry and not to harsh and not much road noise .

7. Incaico

Incaico Karting

Jun 13, 2020
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    JR Sandoval
    ronfrohock likes this.
  8. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    This thread came in perfect timing for our 1992 t as well. After almost15 years on Goodyear Eagles I am taking your advise and ordering the BFGs. I will probably miss drifting around almost every corner with the rock hard Eagles but a blowout at 80mph would be worse.

9. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Those ancient Eagles made the small reflectors here in the Florida streets feel like cinder blocks when you drove over them.

10. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    I have Michelin Primacy 3s in front and new Primacy 4s in back of my QV. I have 30,000k on the fronts with still good tread, but the backs , purchased at the same time, were worn down. On the back I have the slightly wider 255-50-16s. Maybe that is standard on the 3.2 and T. I like the wider stance it gives when looking at the rear of the car. The Michelins grip great in wet as well as dry...not that I try to drive in the wet. But sometimes...there you are.

11. milko1969

milko1969 Formula 3

Feb 21, 2012
    Breda, Holland
    Full Name:
    Milko
    I have fitted de BF Goodrich Sport 225 front and 245 rear on my 3.2 Mondial, very good looks with this wider size than the 205 front and 225 rear as standard.

12. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Any clearance or other issues with the wider tires? My 1988 Mondial 3.2 has the ABS, not sure if the wheels are the same on both ABS or non ABS 3.2's. Also, the standard size is 205/55 and 225/55, what are the profiles of the wider size? If no downsides, I am due for new tires and would get the wider fitment.

13. milko1969

milko1969 Formula 3

Feb 21, 2012
    Breda, Holland
    Full Name:
    Milko
    No Issues what so ever, these tyres just gave the car more body, and still the classic look.

14. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I have used the Pirelli Cinturato All Season Plus, they look good and give a compliant ride, and the breakaway characteristics make for predictable handling. I don't want more grip, the breakaway character in a mid engine car is very important, at least for street driving.

I also note the the Pirelli P7 that was available at dealers in period is available again, at a price. The tread design looks great. But the Tire Rack which carries them excplicity notes that the compound will crack below freezing temperatures and void warranties if driven below freezing temps. I drive into the shoulder season of winter before salt hits the roads, so these otherwise appealing tires are a non starter for me. I am aware that summer tires can harden up at low temperatures and are not safe to use into the winter from a traction perspective, but I have never heard of other summer tire compounds be at risk of cracking and crumbling, why would the remanufacturer of the P7 not use a more modern compound? Sounds like product liability waiting to happen.

Tire rack extract:

Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in High Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45° Fahrenheit (7° Celsius) because it occurs as a result of improper use or storage.

Perhaps the knowledgeable Longstone fellow who posts on here and carries those P7's can weigh in on this?

15. milko1969

milko1969 Formula 3

Feb 21, 2012
    Breda, Holland
    Full Name:
    Milko
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login