430 - Mini cats cell fix for aftermarket F430 manifolds / headers replacement | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 Mini cats cell fix for aftermarket F430 manifolds / headers replacement

Discussion in '360/430' started by Testarossa13, Jan 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    This is indeed great to know if it does work

However, every time I have gone for smog the tester looks for the pre-cats!

So I assume that the CARB device indicates to tester to check for those pre-cats?

If, however, this can be diverted then that's great news

2. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    How do they look for pre-cats? And why would they? Not all cars have pre-cats, they achieve air quality with single converters.

Years ago (mid-2000s) they would put a probe in the tailpipe. This probe sampled the exhaust gasses and the computer analyzed the results for a pass/no pass verdict. They no longer put a probe into the tailpipe. They simply plug into the OBDII port and check for error codes concerning emissions. My last SMOG check I was prepared to wait 15-20 minutes for the results. I had just put in my ear buds when the technician announced I was good to go.

Ray

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    My 430 runs a Capristo manifold set and never needed these mini cats- you need to start car up from cold with feet off the accelerator until the sensors get hot enough to burn off any fuel droplets. Blipping the throttle when they are too cool gets fuel deposited on the sensor and a code. With OEM manifolds you have pre cats which deals with droplets before they get to the sensor. Not had a code in 4 years.

4. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    interesting thks as most of us start the car with a foot on the gas pedal depressed

5. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I never touch the throttle when I start the car, a habit I picked up from years of driving EFI Corvettes. The system manages throttle settings at start up better than I can.

That is good news. I hope you have continued success with your Capristo system.

Ray

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Fine when its hot but lots of unburnt fuel about in first minute or so, a sensor drowned in fuel ??

Ray Smith likes this.
  7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    like this?
    https://capristoexhaust.com/product/obd-cel-delete/

8. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    @ttforcefed - I was thinking a different strategy. The "gadget" would have the lambda sensor plugged into one side, and the harness to the other. The gadget would mimic what the lambda sensor would output if the cats were still there. No change to the ECU code and should be difficult to detect even with a visual examination.

And naturally, such a gadget would be for "track use only". Ya.

9. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I had such a gadget back when I had a tuned gt500. It had a dial on it to change what the o2 sensors read. It was a bit fiddly but it worked every time I needed an inspection.

10. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Lol dude what.

Humans, checbox NO. Phones NO. installation WHO cares.

LoW PRICE! Cchbkbox infinity warranty YES returns...maybe for toher wiring help after free stockings.

Image Unavailable, Please Login