Sim Racing Rig Update | FerrariChat

Sim Racing Rig Update

Discussion in 'Technology' started by russellmcg, Feb 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    And the monster is finally done!!!

What a ride building this thing has been! I think I have owned almost every different part of a racing rig that there is. Here is a quick rundown of how it started and what all I have owned.

Racing Wheel: I started to with a G29, which I had for a week before I upgraded to the Fanatec CSL Elite set as well as the load spring brake.

Shifter: I started with the Logitech G Force shifter, which I took back after a week, and went with the Fanatec shifter.

Rig: I started with the GTR GTA Simulator model, which I took back after a week (are you seeing a trend here), and upgraded to the RSEAT RS1 Alcantara.

Monitors: Here's where it gets interesting. I started with a 40 inch TV, which I switched to 3 27' monitors. I then switched those to a 50 inch 4k OLED. After two weeks, I switched those to 3 SAMSUNG 32-Inch Odyssey G5's which I am now sticking with.

VR: I started with the Quest 2 and switched to the Valve Index.
    I also run a tablet with a custom dashboard I made that allows me to control my audio in iTunes since I tend to listen to music while I race.

I can finally say I am happy with all aspects of this rig and do not see adding or changing anything anytime soon. Thanks to everyone on here who gave me tips and advice as I went down the rabbit hole of sim racing!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

WJHMH, tomc, Gh21631 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Well done! What are you using for the keyboard/mouse holder?

3. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Nice! Could you talk a little about the monitors and how come you switched them?
    What about the Quest vs the Index? Is the index worth the price delta?

4. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Scudmsl likes this.
  5. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    For the monitors, I had originally started using a large 40 something inch one. When I moved to 27-inch triples, the size difference was just too great for me. I felt like I was looking at the tiniest of monitors. At the time, I also had my monitors farther back than I do now due to the mount I had them on. I then settled on 32 inches since those are supposed to be the perfect size for triples and moved the monitors to 29 inches from my face.

As far as the Quest goes, it was nice but not near as good as the Index. Also, the IPD setting on it (distance between your pupils) could only adjust in 3 different spots. The distance of mine fell between those numbers, so it was causing me headaches. The Index allows you to adjust it at super finite levels. Also, the quality of the Index blows away that of the Quest. I can run the index at 144 FPS, whereas I could only get to 90 FPS with the Quest.

Jaguar36 likes this.
  6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    very nice!

russellmcg likes this.
  7. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
  8. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Just side to side. It’s crazy bulky but works.

Attached Files:

9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Extremely impressive, Mr Big!

What's your favorite virtual car to drive thus far?

T

russellmcg likes this.
  10. russellmcg

Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    Ah man, that’s hard to say. The LM2 cars are cool since the cockpit just looks awesome. There is also some big old school fun driving the Ford GT40 in manual mode. They all are just a blast to look around and enjoy the inside of.

tomc likes this.