360 - Looking For Shop To Recover 360 Dash | FerrariChat

360 Looking For Shop To Recover 360 Dash

Discussion in '360/430' started by TooFast355, Feb 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TooFast355

TooFast355 Rookie

Dec 11, 2018
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Randall
    Any recommendations for shop to recover leather 360 dash in Seattle/Portland area? I'd even be willing to ship the dash, if reasonable cost.

I'm finding it challenging to find a shop to recover my dash. Either they don't want to do it or ask $5,000 for me to remove dash and provide to them. Didn't think it would be this difficult to locate someone. Any referrals would be welcome.

Jeff

2. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Hi Jeff
    Can’t help you with dash but if need dillet alloy vents to replace the crappy
    Plastic vents pm me. Good luck with your dash.
    Cheers
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Performify and Jhills14 like this.
  3. TooFast355

TooFast355 Rookie

Dec 11, 2018
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Randall
    Hi Rizzo,

I already bought a set of vents from you. Very nice and well made. Looking forward to installing them, if I can find someone to recover my dash. :)

Jeff

4. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Hi Jeff,
    I had a shop in North Hollywood, CA do mine and I wasn’t happy with it when it was done. I tore it off and found someone else.

A guy that works at the local detail shop removed the dash from my 2009 F430 and took it to his guy in Carson,CA. I got it back in a week and it was perfect. The stitches per inch are critical if you want it to look right. This upholstery guy does all the interior work for one of the car builders on TV. I can’t remember the name right now.

PM me if you want more information, or can’t find anyone closer to you.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  5. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    I might be able to help you.. a few quick questions:

What color is the leather of your dash? ( post a picture if you'd like )
    Anything special about it?
    Do you have the means to remove it yourself?

Steve

6. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Steve, do you guys do leather work at your dealer?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    If you end up shipping .. it won't make much of a difference where in the usa so i would suggest calling classic coach ..old fashion tradesman there

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

SAFE4NOW and EastMemphis like this.
  8. TooFast355

TooFast355 Rookie

Dec 11, 2018
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Randall
    SAFE4NOW likes this.
  9. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Subscribed— I bought a spare dash for this purpose as well. Interested to see where the best shop is in USA. Willing to pay a premium for perfection.

Also have to admit I thought you could drop your car off w the Portland protesters... pretty sure they could remove your dash in a jiffy for free and other bits too. But on second thought better to go w paid professionals. I’ve had trouble w the freelance lot.

10. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Id prefer that the political stuff be kept in the appropriate forum. Please, not here. Not constructive or pertinent to the topic at hand.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  11. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Kc- noted. Prob not a good method anyway.

12. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Let me see what we can get it done for you for. Our leather shop uses "factory leather" ( from Italian suppliers at least ) follow the SPI rule, and have helped us with many many many leather projects since forever ( I personally have used them since the mid-80's )

More details to come,

Steve

13. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    We do not do the actual work in house, we use a leather shop that has been working with Ferrari and our clients for over 20 years.

S

14. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    If you're willing to post this for all of us to see, I'd definitely be interested in seeing what it costs

EastMemphis likes this.
  15. FiatAbarth850

FiatAbarth850 Karting

Aug 2, 2020
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Full Name:
    Bill H.
    Normal Guy Supercar on YouTube has had a leather guy do excellent work on his cars. The supplier's name was in the videos, if you're going to ship your dash anyway you could use him as a known source of quality Ferrari leather work

16. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Sort of off topic or just another approach to the topic, re-stretching your own dash is not very hard to do. Hardest part is getting the dash out. Get the billet vents from Rizzo308 and have at it. You will need the billet vents for sure. New OEM vents will snap out just like the first ones did. Leather shrinking and ruining dash tops is not new. I had 2 911s do the same thing. 2nd time I trashed the leather and installed a vinyl dash that lasted until I crashed the car after turning it into a race car. The vinyl dash looked good for almost 30 years until Sebring finally ate the car.

17. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
  18. 74dino246gts

74dino246gts Karting

Aug 6, 2004
    Northern California
    Any chance we can see a few before and after pics?

19. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    You have one of the best in the country local to you in Everett. NW crafted interiors. They do 6-10 dashes a year for me. I've worked on exotics for 20 years and these guys are the best.
    https://www.nwcraftedinteriors.com/ They will want the dash removed for them to work on. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

20. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    The three photos previously posted match my dash before re-stretch and the OEM the plastic vents are responsible for the leather pulling back from the front edge. Not the glue. If metal vents were used by the factory, I doubt that there would be so many wrinkled dashes. The leather is now perfectly flat because of rizzo308's billet vents. Several of us have fixed our dashes and I do not understand why upholstery shops do not do it. Having a brand new leather is nice but it will not last without the billet vents.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Got rizzo’s vents, about to embark into this.

Did you take the leather out, clean the foam backing install new one and re install leather ? or just pulled on it without attempting to reglue and just glued/staple where not in sight?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006

It has nothing to do with the vents, while the plastic vents are junk the leather shrinkage and bubbling is caused by two concerns, first the leather shrinks from lack of conditioning. If the leather is properly conditioned several times a year it is possible to reuse the leather when it bubbles and separates for the dash. The second issue is the underlying foam that the factory uses to pad the leather is terrible it breaks down and regardless of glue quality the leather will separate. We do 8-10 dashes a year and dozens of drivers and passenger airbags for bubbles and separating.

23. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    I guess it depends on how far gone the dash is. In my case the foam was still attached to the leather but had rolled and bunched up for about two inches back from the vent slots and it was no longer glued down for a few inches back from the vents. I was able to carefully cut away the bad foam in a straight line and glue in new ~1/8" padding with no tell tale lines under the leather. About the puckering and bubbling you are right but if the vents were metal, I feel like the leather shrinking force might be resisted despite the bad foam. That does not apply to the air bag panels nor to the areas around the tiny defrost vents which can easily pull back over the edges. I was lucky I suppose and had no troubles, or at least not yet, in those areas. Anther thing, I did spend a good bit of fiddling around so shop hourly rates are not a consideration for a customers bill.

24. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    #24 ItalGerBrit, Feb 5, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    Took the dash out and all pulling and re-attaching was done on the front of the dash. Leather was pulled over the front edge and through the vent slots and tacked down under the dash. Mounted the billet vents upside down to avoid scratching the leather and bolted them in place and let the leather sort of re-stretch in place.The top side edges of the vents are rounded. Then remounted the vents in upright position.

EastMemphis likes this.