Real Life expectations for a T as a DD | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Real Life expectations for a T as a DD

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Rlurie1, Jan 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Could anyone provide some clarity on how long a Cali can typically be left parked without being charged? I currently have my Ferraris on trickle chargers but if I buy a Cali it would be street parked and sometimes left for 5-7 days at a time.

I wouldn’t want to start becoming friendly with the recovery services. Does anyone leave their DD Cali for a week at a time with no issues?

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    BI is a great color. Enjoy your Cali...T

3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If things are okay, and you knstall a good battery like a Braille B10049, then a couple of weeks easy. Ferrari OE battery with a few years on it? 3-5 days, sometimes less.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tomc likes this.
  4. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thank you. If I proceed, I will have to track one of those down in the UK.

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You order them from their website.

Themaven likes this.
  6. Wangotango123

Wangotango123 Karting

Aug 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Rafael olarte
    I thought the same thing with the ladders. First thing my eyes saw were two ladders next to the artwork.

7. Jhobrien

Jhobrien Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    J O’Brien
    #32 Jhobrien, Jan 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    My best advice is not to overthink this. Have had a Cali since 2012 and drive it everywhere all the time. Not on ice or snow, but it won’t melt in the rain.

We do the annual maintenance and keep things in good nick. Battery tender is really important. Most expensive thing so far is new tires. Most aggravating is sticky switches, but have solved that with q tips and alcohol.

Bought a Portofino last year and wife drives it most of the time. Wonderful car and a bit more room on the inside.

When the weather is bad we are in the Accura with the dog or the Tesla. Just using common sense.

Our attitude is that this is just metal and rubber. If it gets a ding or scratch it’s fixable. Main thing is to just enjoy it. We only have so many days in this dimension so use them wisely!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Will installing one invalidate a Ferrari Power warranty? I am imagining, yes?

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It's a "regular" AGM, so no. Your dealer might not want you to, and they might feed You a B.S line and tell you crap like that the OE battery is "programmed" and what not, but it's all B.S. IF you have a warranty claim on the electrical system, they have to prove that the battery was the cause. Good luck with proving one AGM battery caused an issue over another. Aa for warranty in general? No, not in the slightest. They cannot void your engines or gearbox warranty because of a battery etc. Some dealers do their best to peddle their OE parts, and,Ferrari Maranello have asked their dealers to turn it up a notch. The latest fairy tale they were told to use was the "Programmed Battery" tale. Absolute rubbish.

Themaven likes this.
  10. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    Congrats, great looking car! My '15 had 6 months of full factory warranty left when I bought it and I opted to buy the powertrain plus warranty(my term) for $4800/year since last August. The warranty covers the engine, trans and convertible top rams which apparently age out and fail at times. I figure a warranty will make the car easier to sell when I do so and adds some peace of mind when I indulge the right foot.

11. casryk

casryk Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2020
    Tokyo
    Full Name:
    casryk
    I left my 2015 California T parked for 25 days without using the trickle charger while I was out of town and had no issues. HOWEVER, it is parked in an underground mechanical parking deck that stays warmer than outside in winter and has no access without a car-specific security code. Which led to the local Ferrari dealer suggesting I not lock the car to avoid the battery drain from the alarm always being on (and likely going off every time a car close by gets moved around).
    I obviously would not recommend that last part if you park it on the street. :)

Themaven and Florida Joe like this.
  12. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    Is Bianco Italia a pearl white?

13. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I think so. Not as pearlescent at Fuji based on what I've read here...T

14. Rlurie1

Rlurie1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ryan Lurie
    Ya it’s got a metallic white to it. Pictures really don’t do it justice when you see one in person next to a Fuji.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Jhobrien

Jhobrien Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    J O’Brien

16. Jhobrien

Jhobrien Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    J O’Brien
    Find a good local independent repair shop that specializes in Ferrari. It costs about 1/3 dealer cost and we use OEM parts from Modena. Been doing this for 8 years - no issues. Main thing is to drive it - it does wonders for all the seals and engine smoothness. I do a bumper to bumper check every year for the annual fluids and such. Usually runs about $900 for everything.

Swapped to an Interstate battery and that cost $500 total. Battery was $260 + tax.

17. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

FWIW , I purchased a Porto as a DD and couldn’t be happier about 3 months ago. So I’m sure the T will serve you well . I drive it in sport mode and use the paddles never in auto mode. All the best , Kirk.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I'm about through my third year with a 2015 Cali T -- 15k miles in 3 years, decided to forgo the power warranty last June, zero issues, figure that puts me $5k ahead toward any potential repairs, but really the car has been bulletproof and a joy to own. Drive it as much as possible and it should be just fine.

Cigarzman likes this.
  19. DavidPutty

DavidPutty Karting

Jan 19, 2020
    Del Boca Vista
    I recently renewed my warranty because items like the transmission and convertible top can fail and are pricey. My 8700 mile 2015 has gone through window switches, paddle replacement, brake switch replacement and about once a year the check engine light tells me to visit my friendly dealer. Somehow it's still on the original battery. Fortunately I bought it pre pandemic when prices were depressed so my ownership cost is reasonable.