How can I justify a Ferrari to my wife. | Page 8 | FerrariChat

How can I justify a Ferrari to my wife.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Simon99, Jan 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I'm 6'1" and fat. I drove Carl's fibreglass 308 for about 3 hours and a couple of hundred kms with only one leg stretch along the way and I found it surprisingly comfortable for someone my size - in the RHS driving.

2. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    On the 328 vs. the 308, I have now seen both in the flesh, although only driven the 308. The latter draws me to it more than the 328. The black bumper vs. colour matched, the steeply raked grill vs. more vertical, the curved shape of the rear vs. straight down and the bumper sticking out. But probably the biggest aesthetic draw of the 308 over the 328 for me is the silver, metal bespoke switchgear vs. the Fiat-ized interior of the 328. Those black plastic switches just look, well, not as good IMHO.

Aesthetics is important to me on a car like this. I want to love it every time I walk past it, as I did Carl's car. Having something great at home, then see something else go down the street and pine for it would be disappointing. Not that I'd complain about either. Right now, all I have is an empty space.

I appreciate the comments regarding reliability, maintainability etc. There seems to be consensus on that. But the QV looks to be a great compromise. The 308 aesthetics, but with some more modern improvements over the original years. So I think I am leaning that way - A QV. They also seem to be a good deal less than the 328, which is to be expected I suppose.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I have a simple answer to the OP's question

Its an investment

An investment in your life experience while you still can.

Isn't that valuable?

jm2, paulchua, CPBTX and 2 others like this.
  4. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    For a TRUE car guy, this will happen often no matter what you have at home.

Same as for a true art lover, even though you may have a Van Gogh, you will feel a desire to have another 17th century master's painting upon seeing one.

Reacherman1022 and colombo2cam like this.
  5. Tewills

Tewills Rookie

Jan 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Todd Williams
    The best marriages (mine included) exist when both partners support each other’s dreams and aspirations. Unless her concerns are genuinely rooted in financial turmoil resulting in your having your dream, she’ll probably be on board if you just ask honestly with humility. Or, let her screw the pool boy, that works too.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    It is the only other woman you will ever be in,over or under.

7. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I would say you aren’t getting any younger, this is something you have always wanted. These cars have been very stable in value for many years so you are not “spending” the money, you are just investing in a Ferrari that will hold its value so the principal is not at risk. You can say there is a small chance you will make money but that is not why you are buying it. You can say that there will be some small expenses to running it but they are quite modest, the car is pretty simple and inexpensive to service so as these things go this is a pretty conservative play. On your deathbed you won’t be saying you wish you had bought more Muni bonds and this is something you will enjoy owning every day. If that doesn’t work let me know I can give you version B.

8. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    I had the same problem with my wife and after I made the purchase I just brought it home and listened to the “music” when she was done I explained that I do all I can for the family so everyone has what they want and not have to worry about most things like a roof over their head and food and that’s why In life I need for me if I though that this would interfere with my ability to provide for my family I would not have gotten it but it does not in any way so instead of drinking, gambling and doing things that can really jeopardize my family this is not in any way as bad so now we have a Ferrari
    To say it was a hard sale is a understatement but once she knew the car was staying she settle down
    It’s not being selfish if you have always put the more important things such as your wife and children first everyone who works hard for others deserves something for themselves

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    Last summer 2020. Many Ford GT's available for $300k or more with super low miles, but shortage of GT's in the low $200k range that have medium miles 20-40k or so. They have gone up even more from what I can tell since then.

10. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    FWIW, in my experience, the least confrontational...least stressful time to buy expensive "toys" is between marriages.

bernieb likes this.
  11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yep, you just missed the window....I bought mine in Feb (29k miles $182k), a guy bought a super high mileage (80k) car in March for $190k, then a guy bought a 36k mile car in April for $200k....then overnight there was nothing below $250k anymore.

Hopefully you get another chance eventually.

12. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    I think the Ford vs Ferrari movie and the Covid / stock market created a bubble pretty quick. Will see if it deflates over time.

13. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    FWIW, despite the rapid rise in pricing in 2020, Hagerty put it on their 2021 list of 10 cars most likely to rise in price, which they published just a month ago.

14. pnd4pnd

pnd4pnd Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2021
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric Thune
    I guess I'm lucky - my wife was like, "hell yes!" when I showed her the 458. She is loving every minute of it.

velocegiallo and PB033 like this.
  15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    In my Asian culture, a bad man is someone who has vices: women, gambling, drinking, drugs. If buying a Ferrari means you are not giving money to your mistress, drinking your money away, snuffing it up your nose, or gambling it all away, then a Ferrari is a good thing. DO IT.

16. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Wise words. Distinguishing actions that are hurtful to one's partner from that which is merely an indulgence.

17. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Well, a month has passed. There are two 308 Quattrovalvoles close by. Carl and I - Mostly Carl - did a cursory inspection of both. Both owners were very pleasant to speak with. We have decided to look at one of the two in more depth by putting it up on the hoist. Here is a photo of each. Aside from the obvious - wheels - they look similar in the photos. But upon closer inspection, there are significant differences.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    The BBS style wheels are a no go for me. Stick to original.

Mike-456M, kes7u, PB033 and 2 others like this.
  19. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I agree 100%. Those wheels are not my taste. However, it is a 35 year old car. Who knows when the wheels were changed and what fashion was in at the time. They might have been fabulous - at the time. But not so much now. Like you, I prefer the original.

We could start to talk about TRX vs 16", but that is an entirely different thread which has been done to death. Only other than to note that there is a TRX spare...

Attached Files:

• 16.jpg
      16.jpg
      File size:
      103.4 KB
      Views:
  20. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I would hold out for a GTB ,much rarer especially in RHD QV.

21. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    You are correct. Much rarer. In fact, in Australia, rare to the extreme.

There is no such thing as an Australian delivery 308 QV GTB.

They were all GTSs.

22. Jhobrien

Jhobrien Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    J O’Brien
    you never know how many days you have left in this dimension. If you can afford it and will enjoy it, go forward. It isn't exactly as if it will depreciate to zero. If you are healthy and capable, take advantage of the situation. I have seen so many waiting for the right time to do X, then when they actually decide to do X, they either really can't do it or only get to do X for a short time. Its all about being grateful for the opportunity to realize your dreams.

In the Ferrari world, we bought our first in 2012 - a 2010 California, just to get something reasonable and fairly new from a safety tech standpoint. My wife wound up driving it so much that we decided to add a Portofino last year. Later looked at the Pista, 488s and 458s, and were convinced by fellow mates in the Ferrari club and the sales folks that our life is much more about touring, rally's, and golf and spending a fair amount of time overseas than tracking the cars. Am grateful that they steered us in this direction as it fits our lifestyle. Others are heavy into the high speed events on a frequent basis and we learn a lot from them, but its not where we can spend enough time to justify the cost.

Enjoy and be safe.

paulchua and alex like this.
  23. thehick

thehick Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    VA
    My wife wanted Jason Momoa as a poolboy. I told her he was busy filming. Then I countered with this.......
    I want a redhead, it can either have 4 wheels or 2 legs, which do you prefer?

Reacherman1022 likes this.
  24. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Op
    My wife wasn’t impressed
    Said she might leave me if i got one

I said i might leave if i dont get one lol

And remind her you can sell a ferrari you cant unshag a mistress

25. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    Here is a very practical way to look at it. Let's compare a 308 or 328 to a sensible car like an E class MBZ.

1- If you buy a Hagerty's insurance policy, the cost of insurance is a fraction of an E class MBZ, by far.
    2- In California, if you get a historical license plate, the cost of registration is also a fraction of the MBZ.
    3- Depreciation is non-existent for a 308 or 328.
    4- Maintenance cost is an issue, but if you budget $150 a month, that should cover it.
    5- If you ever need to make an impression - say, you to make an entrance at a big party, or wow a client, etc. - a 308 or 328 has a much higher "wow" factor than an MBZ or BMW twice its price.