F8 - Adaptive cruise question on F8 | FerrariChat

F8 Adaptive cruise question on F8

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by fredhassen, Feb 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fredhassen

fredhassen Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Fred Hassen
    I’m familiar with a lot of the adaptive cruise options on different cars, have it on my 2 Tesla’s, 911 Turbo S and on my Jeep Trackhawk as they all work differently.

I just ordered an F8 Spider with ADAS and here are my questions for those that have it.

1. Can you also set the adaptive cruise at slow speeds like if you are in heavy traffic, or can you only set it at a certain higher or set speed?

2. With a car stopped in front of you at a light for instance that you stop with, will the car hold the stop for the length of time the vehicle in front is stopped, or will the system disengage after a few seconds and you have to go to the brakes until the car moves?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I don't know of anybody using cruise control on any Ferrari. I can't on my GT2, not because I can't but ... why would anybody want to? Enjoy the drive. Use it on your Tesla. Kidding, but not.

I am sure it is somewhere to be found in the owner's encyclopedia (manual).

Honestly, I will never know unless I read it here.

Looking forward to know...

3. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    LOL - its on the left hand pod - Pit Lane Speed Control, or something.

Ferrari, wisely, do not even call it cruise.

....and that reminds me, whats the eta on your fine F8? Even my car stands a chance to catch it up :D

4. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Well that makes two of us. No clue how to use it. Lol

5. fredhassen

Apr 18, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Fred Hassen
    #5 fredhassen, Feb 3, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    Hopefully someone can answer.

I get it that some are very proud and like to shout that they know absolutely nothing on the topic, but it really wasn’t what I was asking for. Thanks.

6. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Crazy question but did you call and ask your salesperson? Since you ordered the car they would be happy to answer every question you could have. Why not go directly to the source and get the info? You could even stop by the dealership and ask in person.

JanStuart likes this.
  7. fredhassen

Apr 18, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Fred Hassen
    Did both. Yes.....believe it or not, I thought of that. He’s not that familiar with it, and honestly said so.

I also went to service, and actually took him for a ride in my ‘19 911 Turbo S so I could show him exactly what it does and explain what other systems I have experienced do and don’t do.

There are a lot of different systems.

The service guy has a new F8 coming in that has the feature so he is going to check it out and get back to me. I just thought someone here might know in the meantime, but so much for that.

On another note.....and I doubt if anyone cares but.....

I could see the tremendous difference in the surround view cameras also not only giving you a a zillion times better camera angles for parking, but the review camera also becomes WAY better because of the side mirror cameras as opposed to just having a stock back up camera which is below avg at best by itself.

8. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    I guess not many people get or use that in a supercar. However I am surprised they didn’t know. Maybe Tom Fazio can assist on this. I’ll text him to look at the thread. The camera and resolution is a lot better on the F8 as you mentioned. It will be nice when the larger screens from the sf90/Roma come to these cars. It was always interesting backing out in my Ferrari and looking at a tiny screen. Always reminded me of when portable TV first came out and you would watch it on a 2 inch screen. Lol.

9. fredhassen

Apr 18, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Fred Hassen
    Thx!!

10. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Proud , maybe . Shouting no. Shouting is done in all caps. I happen to own the car you just ordered and would like to find out how it works as well . That’s why I posted it. Have a nice day , Fred.

JJ and Rickenbach like this.
  11. fredhassen

Apr 18, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Fred Hassen
    #11 fredhassen, Feb 3, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    Relax, I just traded in the Tributo to get the Spider so I’m familiar with the car also......I just didn’t have the ADAS option and ordered it on the Spider. I was just looking for an answer. Peace.

12. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The ADAS option on the F8 is comical.

Ferrari spends all kinds of money and time to advertise the aerodynamic benefits of the S duct and then they place a big cube shaped sensor (as used on a VW Golf) smack in the middle of the duct opening blocking most of it! Why they did not place the sensor in one of the side grilles like they did in the 812 or Roma is beyond me. If you have not seen ADAS on an F8 its worth having a look. The sensor REALLY spoils the look of the front. Fortunately it is a pretty rare option.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Twosherpaz and MANDALAY like this.
  13. fredhassen

Apr 18, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Fred Hassen
    Exactly........if you don’t like it, don’t order it. That’s what ‘options’ are all about.

14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    If the F8 follows the current line of cars with adaptive cruise controls your answers are yes.

The car will come to a stop and still have the cruise activated. That is the car will move once the car in front moves. Note this can be bad. I would never be left in that situation.

Yes cruise now goes down to 30 kms/hr as idiot governments lower speed limits.

But why do you want adaptive cruise control . If I remember correctly unlike other cars that put the sensor in the bumper some where the F8 has it right in the middle of the S-Duct ???? And those big balls .

The standard cruise control is good enough IMO

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Not to mention the poor execution of the front camera. At least they blended the front sensors MUCH better than the Pista that resemble pimples

tfazio likes this.
  15. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I was told not to get it because it looks funny & my plate will block it.

OP what's with the attitude towards Cigarzman & mkraft3003 . Are you perfect and only expecting perfect comments... You have so many other wonderful cars you should know your own answer rather than pick at people's comments and criticize them.. o_O

JJ and Cigarzman like this.
  16. fredhassen

Apr 18, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Fred Hassen
    Hi! I doubt if the car would move automatically if the car in front of you moves. You probably have to step on the gas to get your vehicle moving. Knowing what I know about adaptive cruise systems, I highly doubt that Ferrari is that advanced on it’s first go round.

I’m just guessing though as I don’t have the vehicle yet, but I’d have to see it to believe it.

Standard cruise control is a waste of time. That’s my opinion but you know what they say about opinions. :)

17. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Did you happen to order "Structural Blue" ??

Alcav5 and Cigarzman like this.
  18. Given Ferrari's proclivity with all things electronic, the whole notion of using adaptive cruise control or any level of even semi-autonomous driving in a Ferrari makes me want to run to make sure my life insurance policy is fully paid.

MANDALAY likes this.
  19. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I did not because it was out of my price range. Maybe Fred bought that color ? Relax.

MANDALAY and mkraft3003 like this.
  20. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I hope it works better than the system on my 2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia ... it can get confused in heavy traffic by cars on either side of you and decide you're about to rear end someone and brake hard abruptly. Would hate to get rear-ended in a Ferrari and have the cruise control be to blame. Italian technology!

I didn't order it on the Alfa, it was on the car I leased already. Didn't see much use in having it, personally, although it was kind of nice to have it in crawling traffic ... until it freaked out. It also steers itself when it's active using the lane markers, but, interestingly only works on that way on the Interstates in the US, not state highways, so somewhat limited up around Boston.

21. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    My company runabout is a liberty Subaru. You asked a question i responded to it. ITS ADAPTIVE cruise control thats the difference to cruise control. It adapts ,

The liberty does that , no accelerator it just moves up to the speed you set it.

Each to their own as you say. But given your cars the F8 wouldnt be the every dayer so if you think its what you want go for it.

If you want to put your life on Ferraris electronics to stop you instead of your foot, well i guess ild say Good Luck.

GT2goneF likes this.
  22. fredhassen

Apr 18, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Fred Hassen
    Doubtful that Ferrari or any other car company other than Tesla would have this done in house, so no need to worry about that. :)

23. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I just saw the surround view cameras jutting out of the side mirrors on the F8 spider. Frankenstein’s bolts in his neck were more subtle.

In the Roma you hardly know they exist. In the F8 spider, they are huge bolt on knobs jutting from the mirror. Aesthetically obnoxious and embarrassing. They make the large square of the adaptive cruise control blocking your aero seem almost palatable.

I am so thankful I did not check those boxes!

JAM1, GT2goneF, Nuvolari and 2 others like this.
  24. fredhassen

Apr 18, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Fred Hassen
    Nope. Would have dipped into my ADAS money. :)

25. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Wow. I didn’t even notice those in the photo above until you mentioned it. Now that is all I see. Lol.

GT2goneF likes this.