355 - CA smog how to | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 CA smog how to

Discussion in '348/355' started by mcomet, Jan 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Not again....

2. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    That’s not entirely correct. My Turbo was clearly built after 75 and required no smog as a historical vehicle. Unless California DMV changed something in the last 2 years, I still believe that to be the case.

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That "exemption" was mistakenly given out to many Historical vehicles at the beginning. In the last 5 years, they have cracked down on it a lot and most 76+ cars don't have the exemption anymore. There are certainly counties in California where they don't do any smog checks for any cars but those are out in the boon dogs. If you live anywhere in the more populated places, your car would be required to pass a smog test. If they have not caught up with you yet, enjoy your luck. It may not last.

My 1989 Ferrari with a Historical Plate needs to pass smog every 2 years. No exemptions, no fail.

4. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

There is a very good chance your next registration renewal will say in the upper left corner "Smog Check Required"
    Had it happen to several of my buddies cars, now they are AR and Texas registered.

5. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Here in NYC, a lot sucks and the taxes on everything is ridiculous, but the annual test isn't all that bad. If the car is OBD2 they plug the DMV computer into the port and if the monitors are set and there's no active codes, you pass. They used to do a sniff test and then a dyno test, but all that ended about 5 years or so ago and it's now just the OBD2 test. You gotta see some of the stuff driving on NYC roads with active/valid emission stickers.....my 355's emissions may as well be electric compared to the wrecks driving "legally" on the roads here.

My shop always does me a favor every year, they test and validate all my cars and make sure the car will pass before they actually hook it up to the DMV system and test it. I never have a problem with the 355, but I did with my brand new Mustang some years ago, I was driving it so infrequently that even after 2 years of owning it there were 4 monitors that weren't in a "ready" state. I had to get Ford involved and they gave the dealer a drive cycle to kick them on.

And I always give the shop a case of beer when they are done testing and passing the 355. It's like insurance for next year's test. That's NYC, you apply some grease and things get done, very few people take it all that serious.

26street likes this.
  6. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    in my humble experience, most smog shops dont know what the stock exhaust looks like, so as long as the monitors are set ( depending on year) and it will pass the "sniff test" , make sure it has the emissions sticker on the side panel, you probably wont have an issue, ... just did a 96 355 with fabspeed cats, tubi exhaust, monitors where set. No lights no codes no problem... regular smog station

mcomet likes this.
  7. Hubs348

Hubs348 Karting

May 9, 2013
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I agree, most smog stations in CA wouldn’t have a clue even when it’s sporting a shiny polished after market cat. I have easily passed smog testing in CA with a 94 348 Spider with a Tubi exhaust and both a Hyperflow or Fabspeed cats over many years. No problem. Side note- no idea if this mattered- convinced them to direct two fans at the air intake strikes on either side as I told them it’s required for normal air intake at the higher rpms. Probably doesn’t matter?

mcomet likes this.
  8. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    you might get lucky that you never need a "Star smog station", when you do (depending on your luck), they are VERY thorough. They WILL check every components including OEM CATS.

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I have never had a problem at Star because my car is legal. I just had to change a battery anf do the drive cycle nonsense and get smoged. It is effortless if your Ferrari is well maintained, stock, and OBD-OIS (post 2000).

10. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    They stopped making the 355 in 1999, alas

11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yes more hoop jumping but same applies. Stock car well maintained passes.

12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Well running 355s with stock equipment always pass. Once you swap out cats, bypass valves, secondary cats, then CELs are thrown up as well as emission increases and that is when they fail.

13. Stadzy61

Stadzy61 Rookie

Aug 15, 2020
    USA
    Full Name:
    Matt O
    I’m going through this right now with my 355. Ran high in HC both 15mph (62 with 54 max) and 25 mph (36 with 32 max). NOx and CO2 were within tolerance. Does running cats hotter really help clear this up?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Agreed most shop wouldn’t know where the cats are. They don’t see 355’s often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    my 99 f1 has tubings headers, capristo twin pipes and hyper flow cats
    It always passed smog from about 02 to 2016
    Last few years were 2 years apart
    First few were 4 years apart
    Possibly laws changed

when ever it did not pass, about 3 times, it needed o2 sensors.
    Mini cats in 2010 solved the cel problem I had for about 10 years which meant that the cel would come on about 1 every 1000 miles
    Car passed with mini cats installed as well.

what I figured was the richness of the exhaust screwed them up faster, but am not possitive of that.
    All I know is once they threw a cel it always came back within a tank or 2 of gas, and never lasted as long as a new one

16. Stadzy61

Stadzy61 Rookie

Aug 15, 2020
    USA
    Full Name:
    Matt O
    Understood. Very frustrating - CA SMOG. New cats placed by seller with Fabspeed O2 extender. Perhaps more miles to break in cats as put on just before I got car. Not even 100 miles. Next will be sensors. Passed visual.

17. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Make sure your bypass valve is fully closed, check throttle bodies and hoses for vacuum leaks. Seems about 50% of these have issues. need to be smoke tested
    That along with good cats you should have no issue at all passing CA smog

18. Stadzy61

Stadzy61 Rookie

Aug 15, 2020
    USA
    Full Name:
    Matt O
    Got it. Had a shop look at it and they affirmed should be good to go. Apparently there’s a world of difference in emission readings between a “cold” cat and a hot one. Being told to go get em nice and hot. Seems city driving won’t do the trick.

19. daniellove304

daniellove304 Rookie

Jan 5, 2020
    Marietta Ga
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    #44 daniellove304, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    You will need to buy OEM Cats Because California emissions will not let you do emission or spacers . IT will cost you lot . No way around it unless you can find the original cats back. And you cant buy used cats either. Ask me how i know work on these car for living

20. fullmonty

fullmonty Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2007
    LALAland
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Looking for help, am located in West Los Angeles, the shop I used to go to for service closed due to the owners unfortunate medical situation. my 97' is showing a check engine light, needs a smog check this month at a Star station, has fabspeed exhuast and Tubi. Thank you. Mel
    I will also post in So. Cal section.

21. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I would invest in an OBD2 reader. We should be able to help in the forum if we have fault codes to work with.

22. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Every inspection station accesses the online guide at BAR showing pictures of what the exhaust and intake systems are supposed to look like. Before, you could have an inspector that wasn't so knowledgeable or thorough and you might glide by with mods. Now, its far less likely. You can legally change anything post cat. As for 355 cats, replacements are generally way better, but not legal - go figure. One tip I got was to get a set of dead 355 cats and have an experienced shop cut them open and replace the innards with a more efficient (flow and performance) metal core. It is possible to pass an inspection depending on how good the work was done.

23. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Not all smog shops are so picky on the visual aspect, the one is use in CA just goes by the numbers. After I had by car dino-tuned it passed the numbers easily. After all it is numbers that matter relative to the reduction in smog not the actual configuration of the exhaust system.

24. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Maybe where you are in Somas, but down here in the LA basin the test centers are picky. However, I have found a few who can be worked with. They understand the intent of the rules to have cars in compliance with emissions, not some bureaucratic checklist of approved parts.

taz355 likes this.
  25. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    I live in westchester ny and work in Manhattan
    I never seen a shop sniff test a car older then 1996 I have had some mid 80’s and early 90’s and they always made sure I passed before testing but. Ow most of my cars just get plugged in and in the check engine light is off and I drove it for a few days before hand I was always good