458 Italia maintenance & repair costs | FerrariChat

458 Italia maintenance & repair costs

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by jr429, Aug 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jr429

jr429 Rookie

Mar 21, 2017
    Tustin CA
    Can anyone give me an idea and insight into maintenance and repair costs for 458 Italia probably 2012-2013 with ~15k miles? Probably 3k miles per year tops

1. What would I expect to spend annually and on what?
    2. I read somewhere that the DCT transmission is enclosed - no need for any fluid changes. But I also understand it shares a transmission similar to the nissan gtr (have owned several) which typically requires a $1000 fluid change every 3-5k miles. Can someone comment on this?
    3. What are typical repairs and costs?
    4. Any experience with catastrophic failure (major electrical or power train)? What are the costs here?

TIA!!

dschaak likes this.
  2. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    Over the past two years ,full service for all filters, fluids and oil change was usually around $1,500 to 1,800 a year. I drive mine about 3,500 miles a year

3. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    2012 and up comes with a 7 year warranty that covers oil changes and basics.

4. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    You can also buy a powertrain warranty for $4500 for the first year and $4000 each year after that up to 15 years. Pricey but at least you would know what you expenses are for major items.

5. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    For maximum peace of mind, every new Ferrari comes with the standard factory three-year warranty along with a seven-year free maintenance programme. The full factory warranty can be extended for a further two years and, from the vehicle’s 6th to 12th year, owners can stipulate the New Power warranty which provides cover on all major components.

New Power15 extends even further Ferrari’s class-leading programme with the possibility of covering the vehicle’s main mechanical components, including the engine, gearbox, PTU, suspension and steering, from year 12 right up to year 15. The coverage for the new extension lasts for 12 months and can be renewed annually for three years.

This warranty extension option is available both for new and pre-owned Ferraris. Subject to the car passing specific technical checks, the New Power15 extended warranty can also be provided for cars on which the Ferrari extended warranty cover has not been taken up, or on cars with gaps in the cover. This makes the New Power15 Extended Warranty the most flexible and comprehensive package of its kind and sets a new benchmark in the automotive world.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

dschaak likes this.
  6. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
  7. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    No 2 cars are the same: it depends on how they were used and how they were maintained. Mileage tells you close to nothing.

For peace of mind: extend your factory warranty or buy a New Power.

Regarding point no.4, most gearbox issues are actually sensor issues. Catastrophic powertrain issues are beyond me. Never seen anyone coming to FerrariChat claiming to have anysuch catastrophic failure, nor any of my 458 owning friends has had/has learned of a cronic catastrophic failure.

As time goes by, Ferraris get increasingly versatile and reliable, not the other way round.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

dschaak likes this.
  8. JimDeaton

JimDeaton Rookie

May 21, 2017
    I️ worried about all of this before I️ bought my 458. Truth is, it’s a very reliable fairly inexpensive car to own after the initial $200K that you pay for it!
    Oil change and other service same as any other car. There is nothing crazy about the 458 that needs to be done.
    You won’t regret buying one, nothing on the planet more fun to drive.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Voda likes this.
  9. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    As all above have mentioned the 458 is not expensive to own, heck mine is even cheaper than the 996 turbo I had several years back.
    The brake pads can be quite expensive to change, also the ceramic discs but I will look on ebay once needed and not my local ferrari dealer

Voda likes this.
  10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I would budget 4k a year for maintenance and consumables (such as tires). If it helps, create a new bank account called "car needs" and drop the money in there. There are years you might spend $800 on your service and no consumables. And then there will be years you spend 10x that amount. My 458 turn signals stopped working. I needed a new steering wheel module: $2k soup to nuts for parts and labor. Its not impossible to have a massive mechanical failure, but I have yet to have such with a Ferrari. Instead I have experienced electronics failing and requiring replacement- sensors, modules, etc. Don't skimp on service and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. (My 4k/ year number is intentionally high- others might tell you almost half that). 458 is a fantastic car, I don't think you will regret it.

dschaak and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  11. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458
    well. I didn't see any complains from it. I even drove ferarri exceeded 130.000 km and still run perfectly.

12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I drove my '12 coupe now for 17.000 kms in 1 1/2 season.

Two free yearly sevices and one set of tyres ...

My cheapest F ever ...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

F485 and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    We are now just in 2021 ...

Almost on km 56.000 .... one second agm battery of €100 installed, 1 set of oem Brembo front brakepads and almost ready to get a set of 4 MPS4S tyres.

Put a national flag sticker on the bonnet ..... :)

Did not take the yearly service in March 2020 and also not this one.

Why not ? Last year March it was 2500 kms since last (free) maintenance.

When in one year I am on 10.000 kms I will do a regular service.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

F485 likes this.
  14. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    2013 Spider, 15,000 miles (I put on 13k of those).

Zero repairs if you don't count sticky buttons, and Bruce at Maranello Autosport in FL did a minor adjustment on my spider hardtop for free.

Maintenance is done buy an Indy and includes fluids, tires, tire pressure sensor monitors (batteries go bad after 7 years) and I had an alignment done and changed the battery once in the two years of ownership.

I change the oil every 3,500 miles because to me it looks dirty. Next oil change I'll do plugs and have him clean the intake manifold. Brake pads still good.

Everything looked good last service (shocks, etc.).

And I did aftermarket exhaust, cats, radar/laser, PPF, and probably will do Novitec springs next. But that's just me experimenting and playing around, lol!

Sounds like a lot, but the car's been extremely reliable, a blast to own and drive, and IMO not expensive at all to own. And it's great to have a network of support so I'm not at the whim of Ferrari NA.

15. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello,

I have a 2015 458 Italia... I have had it for almost 14 glorious months. I put ~5,000 s-miles on her since I purchased it in December of 2019.

I have had no maintenance costs, as it is still under the 7 year maintenance plan. She is due for her sixth annual in two weeks. It is also still under the Power Warranty...

No incidentals like tires, battery etc; as these were all done before I purchased it by the previous owner. The only ongoing costs have been petrol and insurance.

I had the dealer add a Ferrari Collection item (when you open the door the door light projects “458 Italia” on the ground) instead of just a light glow. Cost was about $750.00.

That’s it, it has been a splendid car and it’s always been in good nick mechanically. She scores 110 out of 100.

Cheers and best wishes to you!

Melvok likes this.