430 - Suspension and wheel questions | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 Suspension and wheel questions

Discussion in '360/430' started by DCAT, Jan 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ray- No mods to the Porsches. They were just a stand alone option and not very expensive.

2. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Are they factory installed during assembly, or a dealer installation?

If the former, they make adjustments during assembly.

Ray

3. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
  4. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    You dress like that to drive fast in the Walmart parking lot?

Do you have permission to use that photo? You know, IP violation and all ...

Ray

5. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
  6. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    #31 Flea7, Feb 3, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    Blahh ...lol ...that's a lot of custom gear to not even break traction on your ferrari but hey!....you can never been too safe.

So...let me get this right. You're saying that you were or are a IMSA ferrari pro driver? If so ...great for you...but I still disagree on your past post.

7. Jesse A Jernigan

Jul 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jesse A Jernigan
    No mines bigger!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

SpencerMarks likes this.
  8. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    #33 Ray Smith, Feb 3, 2021
    I have driven in IMSA sanctioned races (and SCCA), but as an amateur paired with a pro, not as a pro. It's referred to as "rent-a-ride", but that was life before Ferrari. I had the Corvette logo removed and replaced with the Cavallino. Because I now own a Ferrari and will rent a ride in one when one becomes available.

You posted a photo of Ben Collins implying it was you. I doubt Ben granted you permission to use the photo. Or to give readers the impression that is you. The photo is from Ben's book "How To Drive". I recommend it highly.

You still have not answered the question of exactly where you drive at the limit.

You disagree but present no evidence to support your argument. You just disagree.

Ray

9. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    ease up ray ...obviously the stig pic was a joke. I'm don't consider myself a track junkie....just done a few day on the track..nothing serious but I think I can hold my own at my level. Planning a couple or 3 days this year.

Also, if you don't think that lowering the car and installing a stiffer springs and alignment does not out performs a stock (made for the road setup..even in the F430) ...then I have to disagree with you and since you haven't even broken traction with you f430...I fail to see how you would know ...IMSA rent a ride racer or not.

So..."rent a ride" how long ago was this that you drove as a non pro....what class?

10. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    What next....you're going to tell us tires don't matter??

11. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    #36 Ray Smith, Feb 3, 2021
    First "arrive and drive" was with Baker Racing at Laguna Seca (IMSA Supercar Series) in a ZR-1 loaded with 800lbs of lead ballast to "equalize" the competition. One two hour race and the brake rotors (steel) were trashed. I served in combat, but the scariest thing I've ever done is my first turn-in to the corkscrew and the resulting 3-story drop. Then came rides in World Challenge Corvettes. No wins, no podiums, but I didn't break the car, the key to being invited back.

My last ride, oddly enough, was in a Challenge Porsche 997 before 9/11. Rule One: Do all your braking in a straight line; Rule Two: See Rule One; Rule Three: Don't hit anything (you have to take out race insurance ― yes, it exists ― but the deductible is $10,000).

You show up with your Nomex, helmet, gloves, and shoes, and the team does the rest.

You must get an SCCA rookie license, compete in a minimum of 10 SCCA races, and then you can apply for the Pro license which, (unless you killed somebody in one of your previous races) is almost always granted immediately. Then you use the reciprocity agreement with IMSA to get their provisional Pro license which has you on "probationary" status for 10 races. If you haven't done anything egregious, you get your unrestricted license. Technically you're a "Pro" but unless someone is paying you to drive (and it's not you paying yourself) you qualify as an amateur.

A Corvette is hard to get into a spin, but once you lose it it will keep spinning. The analogy is bowling ball versus dumbbell. A F430 is a bowling ball: Spins easily but is easy to catch. A Corvette is like a dumbbell: Hard to get spinning, but harder to catch. Low moment of inertia (F430) versus high moment of inertia (Corvette, 575M). The basic concept is slow in, fast out. Never apply full throttle unless the wheel is at 12 o'clock. Tires can not deliver maximum traction in more than one direction. Get slowed down before turn-in or you scrub off speed and unnecessarily wear the tires. Your exit speed from a corner determines how fast you can go on the resulting straight.

The only downside is the cost. Heroin addiction is less expensive. As Kim Baker said, "We turn money into noise".

Ray

Jesse A Jernigan likes this.
  12. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
  13. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I can see why you post anonymously.

Tires, or more specifically the four contact patches which are about the size of a man's hand, are your only connection to Mother Earth. Their composition, size, and inflation pressure, as well as the delta between front and rear, have a significant impact on handling. Street tires are basically what would classify as full wets in racing. Even PS4S tires, although they have shallower groves and sipes, would be intermediates in racing. Totally slick tires, where there is a maximum amount of rubber in contact with the track, are the way to go on the track. Even a modest amount of water will send you into the weeds. But then you already know that because you can handle yourself at your level.

BTW, running slicks with an E-Diff will cause a "Slow Down" warning. Stef's SEB corrects that flaw.

Ray

14. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Geeesh....I'm sorry I asked. :rolleyes:

15. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    You were being sarcastic.

Read "Race Car Engineering". It has the math, and "The Technique of Motor Racing" by Piero Taruffi (written in 1959 but still very relevant). Warning: It has lots of math. Learn something.

Ray

16. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    ..........and it continues.:rolleyes:

17. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    You never answered my question about where you "pushed your car to the limits."? You talk the talk, but did you ever walk the walk?

You're out of ammo, aren't you?

Ray

18. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I'm going to be civil due to rules of this forum.... good luck to you and your cute custom suit

19. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Envy will give you hypertension.

Ray

20. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed