456M Radiator Repair Info... | FerrariChat

456M Radiator Repair Info...

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Mirek, Feb 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    My 456M popped a small leak right about a month after the car overheated (due to a fan becoming unplugged). Car has been at Blackhorse here in LA for a while now and I am told that the radiator was super dirty but that should not have caused the radiator to crack right ? Pics below.

It would hit a HIGH temp (image) and then drop back down, each time spraying JUST enough coolant that you could see a bit when opening the hood. When I dropped it off it was steaming up through the hood though.

Question, anything I should have replaced or inspected while the radiator is out? I am told they are going to weld it up and clean it. Should I request Carl flush it out (or anything like) that to prevent future problems ? Or look at new fans ?

Thanks for any help or direction guys !

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Lots of crap collects between the radiator and the AC condenser. Need to clean it out every once in a while. Might be worthwhile replacing the fans if they are original. I put new fans in my 550 last year and noticed significantly better cooling.

3. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Thanks for the input.

I wonder if that is why my fans used to kick on and off all the time. Once the radiator is repaired I cannot see another weak link. All of the hoses have been replaced and fans operate correctly. Hope hope.

4. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    The Radiator is a weak spot in the 456M. I have replaced it completely as repairs did not last long.

5. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    #5 franschman, Feb 3, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    One of the real weak spots in the fan arrangment is the connectors to the actual fans.
    They are identical to the connectors used in my Lancia kappa, which has overheated only once (while towing a 2 ton trailer on the hottest day of the year, in heavy traffic), when the fans didn't kick in because of poor contact inside the connector. The connector had actually burnt away, creating a short which triggered the fuse.
    When I got my 456 and noted these connectors, I opened them up and sure enough, they were burnt inside and about to fail. So I upgraded these connectors to one gauge heavier.

F456M, Fennicus, Mirek and 1 other person like this.
  6. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    That is funny. The first overheating incident was because my fans did not come on.....due to an issue with the connection as well. They said it had become unplugged (?).

Hopefully that does not occur again (since it was addressed) but I will certainly bring this up with the shop specifically and thank you.

7. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

I just noticed a similar issue with the A/C fan resistor. The main connector had burned the connector to the black wire and toasted something in the Davia unit which is now NLA! (Although a similar later resistor was used in 355, 550 and possibly also other models than 456/456M)

Funny thing, the original one I had spared works ok now, I have cleaned and fixed the connectors. I think I’ll have someone repair the one I bought 3 years ago, some components (caps / resistors) probably just got fried thanks to the poor connectors. :-o

Cheers!

Mirek likes this.
  8. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    You can NEVER get too much cooling.

Mirek likes this.
  9. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Oddly enough the shop called and asked if there was anything else they should look besides the overheating radiator and and I requested they check “the electrical connections to the fans.”

Thanks for that heads up !

F456M likes this.
  10. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    dump it and buy a ron davis

the have done numerous. works way better than factory

11. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    I would prefer to and I did get quote from Ron D. and do run a RD in my 700hp C5 but the lead time was 6 weeks or so and the shop I am at (Blackhorse) is a top-notch Ferrari shop and said It was not necessary at this time so I will punt on that for now.

12. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    we put a RD in my moms 456s made a huge diff

13. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    That just struck me funny..."my mom's 456....".....

Anybody have a link to Ron Davis radiators? I may do this as a preventative along with the connectors!

14. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Yea my biggest automotive fear is overheating...and here we are !
    As a youth, I had high mileage 4th gen F cars which were prone to overheating and was always scary. I really really hope this does not re-occur, I kinda wish the shop had me order the RD.

This forum is pretty great in helping me sort this machine.

15. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Good call !

Blackhorse had to take apart the fusebox, re-solder the connections to the fans and clean them. Picking it up today !!!

franschman likes this.
  16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    rondavisradiators.com