430 - New to the ownership experience | Page 3 | FerrariChat

430 New to the ownership experience

Discussion in '360/430' started by JimDowd1, Jan 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jhobrien

Jhobrien Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    J O’Brien
    Great fun. We bought a California a number of years ago and realized my wife and I couldn’t both drive at the same time, so bought a portofino last year and enjoy both. We drive them everywhere and have a SUV to transport the dog and a Tesla for when we need 4 seats.

our philosophy is cars are meant to be fun and eventually someone else will own them, just like any other hard asset.

we realized these fit our lifestyle and schedule. Did look at the higher HP models and were talked out of it by the Ferrari dealerships and friends who have the F12 tdf, pista and such. Maybe 20 years ago I would track them monthly, but now its golf, spirited drives and road trips.

110 on the backroads is plenty good for me.

just enjoy your time with the car. If it causes constant worries it’s not a good thing.

We have friends in the big ticket buy and sell old Ferraris and make good money. However its a huge commitment on refurbishment, storage and vetting buyers. Everyone picks their own interests.

peace and stay safe

FerrariBrent and JimDowd1 like this.
  2. Andy Taylor

Andy Taylor Rookie

Jun 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Andrew Mark Taylor
    I started driving my 430 Spider less as prices started to inflate to silly levels because it was still a relative low miler. Then I read the advice if a poster in the Ferrari Owners Club GB magazine who said that 'Not driving your Ferrari is like not making love to a beautiful woman and saving her for the next man' I started racking up the miles straight after that and enjoyed every one of them. When I traded it in it was for a Scuderia with much higher mileage so that I wouldn't be tempted not to use it which I do, mainly for track days!!! Still miss the Spider though, sounded fantastic even on stock exhausts!! Enjoy your car!!

3. Speed seeker Don

Feb 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Donald Roskos
    Seeing your pictures brings back my memories of receiving y 360 spider in a coverd trailer 4 yers ago. I love it and love to drive it. I got it with 12000 on it and now have 18000. It has not been with out its problems, conv. top problems wjich we fixed via good advice from this forum and most recently had the intake manifold gaskets changed after having a local shop fool around with every other reason why the check engine light dept coming on. A Ferrari race shop diagnosed it the minute I drove it in the garage. I am tempted to buy a new Corvette but I love th Ferrari ad just want to savor it. can't do that if I don't drive it. It does stay in during winter months.See attached pix. Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Dan Millman

Dan Millman Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2020
    Saint Louis
    Strikingly beautiful car! I love the GS/Crema combo!!! Count one more vote in the "drive it" column. Speaking as one who just created numerous spreadsheets trying to model cost components, I agree with some of the others that you have "house money" to play with in regards to potential resale value down the road. Either way, congratulations and enjoy!!!

FerrariBrent and JimDowd1 like this.
  5. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    That is great advice and totally true. I bought my 2007 f430 spider with 18,000 miles and now it has roughly 22,000. I have loved every second and I could care less about the miles. I love looking at it but I love driving it more. Maybe I would feel differently if I was a billionaire and just wanted a Pista to sit in my garage, but I really don’t understand all the guys on here that by these $350,000 works of art keep them for 10 Years, drive them 300 miles and then sell them for 150,000 bucks. It just makes no sense ( to me ).

To each their own of course. And I agree with your post… The sound on my spider is amazing… I honestly do not think I’ve ever driven it once with the top up.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Ray Smith, Andy Taylor and JimDowd1 like this.
  6. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    JHC are you kidding me ???

You buy a Ferrari but do not drive it to "protect" the low miles ???

If you are that pensive about adding miles to a Ferrari, you should've bought something else !!!

I bought my 488 new in Summer 2018 with 48 miles and it now has +10,700 miles. Unfortunately, based on my history of my two previous Ferraris which averaged 5-6000 miles per year each, the miles on my current Prancing Horse is low. Oh, and I drive them in the rain too because after all, they come with windshield wipers from the factory.

7. JimDowd1

JimDowd1 Rookie

Jan 23, 2021
    Pacific Palisades, CA
    Full Name:
    James Dowd
    Thanks all for this great feedback. I’ve loved reading the many different perspectives you have all shared. They have been incredibly interesting and informative; most sound spot on to me!

I’m happy to report that we’ve broken the seal and taken her out on her maiden voyage (at least in my hands), and man it was awesome. Top down on PCH on a Friday evening with the sun setting and the best soundtrack in the world at your back. Doesn’t get any better.

If I can figure out how, I’ll post a clip of us taking her out.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

FerrariBrent, colorfull, AZ77 and 2 others like this.
  8. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    That is awesome to hear. Glad loved

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. Andy Taylor

Andy Taylor Rookie

Jun 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Andrew Mark Taylor
    I'm very happy to hear that- life experiences like that have to be better than making a bit of money!

FerrariBrent likes this.