How Do Right Handed People Adapt to RHD Cars? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How Do Right Handed People Adapt to RHD Cars?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Nospinzone, Jan 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Driving in London is easy. Get a taxi or a chauffeur for the day! Not expensive and they know where they are going. I can’t even find my way walking there...hate the place anyway!!!

Boomhauer likes this.
  2. Jeoka

Jeoka Rookie

Oct 26, 2009
    North Carolina
    It's actually easier for RH drivers to drive a RHD car (IMO):
    You always have your stronger hand on the wheel and the weaker hand on the gear lever.
    Reversing is much easier too because you are able to turn your torso around (in your seat and to your left) and look where you're going and still have your foot on the accelerator/brake pedal AND still steer with your strong hand. Turning yourself around in a LHD car is almost impossible and are forced to use your mirrors.

Island Time likes this.
  3. Daniel Rigby

Daniel Rigby Rookie

Sep 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    CrocodileBoy
    I’m English and live in England, so it’s normal for us to use right hand drive cars. That said I have a left hand drive classic Mercedes and drive LHD cars in Europe. You get used to it within a few minutes, so I wouldn’t worry especially if it’s not a daily driver!

4. seven64sls

seven64sls Rookie

Nov 25, 2008
    IL & MI
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I owned a RHD Lotus Super 7 for 15 years that I both tracked frequently and drove on the street on occasion. You get used to it very quickly. What’s not easy is driving on the left when there is not much traffic around. Making a turn will be very confusing for the first day or two.

5. 166MM alum

166MM alum Rookie

Jul 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Darrell Westfaul
    It has been 55 years, but back then I drove my RHD 166 MM as my principal means of transportation on US roads. As most have noted, you pick up the shifting fairly quickly, but for me the problem was seeing around the car in front of me to know what was up ahead--you can only drift over to the right so far. My passing technique was to drop far enough back to see past the car ahead, then go like hell to catch up and pass.

6. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    I'm ambidextrous :) I can shoot a rifle left or right handed, though I always use my left eye irrespective of which hand I hold the rifle in o_O:D

RHD in the UK ? No problem (obviously), RHD on the continent ? No problem either. LHD in the UK, suits me fine (you get to really hug the N/S kerb when pressing on, LHD on the continent, just fine.
    Strangely enough, having the shift lever in my right hand in a LHD car feels completely normal, even in something like an E30 M3 with its dogleg transmission.

7. Mark Logan

Mark Logan Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2020
    Southlake, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Logan
    Add my echo to the RHD remarks. Shifting with your left hand quickly becomes second nature. It's those pesky UK roundabouts that occasionally cause consternation.

Nospinzone and Boomhauer like this.
  8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Oh, my! Pix please.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

9. MAPS

MAPS Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Porto, Portugal
    Full Name:
    Marco Silva
    When I first drove in England, rented an automatic transmission car and there were only two "gripes", being the first spacial awareness (as also was noted here) and those really annoying entrances at residential areas with a sort of speed bump and a sort of "shrinkage" of the road. Oddly, i found the circulation on the roundabouts really natural. I was there on other occasions with my own LHD car and it was OK, except at the tolls, where I had to almost a contortionist to pay it.

But for me, the worst is the traffic jams on the highway, really horrid. Took me almost two hours to do a twenty minute circuit!

All in all, it doesn't take much time to get used to it, almost "organic" I would say ;)

Nospinzone likes this.
  10. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

No issues shifting, but definite problems with the spacial awareness. Always looking to the right for the rear-view mirror.

Oh, and always turning on the wipers when I try to signal a turn.

Nospinzone likes this.
  11. bhallingby

bhallingby Rookie

May 16, 2008
    Sharon, CT
    Full Name:
    Barney Hallingby
    No one has mentioned driving a RHD car that has a RIGHT HAND SHIFT. Like a GT40 (1069 in my case). The right hand does what it is used to doing, except as this a sequential gear box, no skipping allowed. The left had is doing its job as well. So it is just your head that needs to adjust, particularly when driving in America. BH

12. Peter Tabmow

Peter Tabmow Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    #37 Peter Tabmow, Feb 4, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    I lived in the UK for 12 years, coming from the US and frequently traveling back and forth. The first few days on either side of the Pond, I just had to remind myself to keep the driver side of the car in the middle of the road. I'm right-handed but never found shifting a problem, and I tried to treat the roundabouts as an interesting challenge. I was a regular at this one:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nospinzone likes this.
  13. Carsmith

Carsmith Rookie

Jun 2, 2005
    Palm Beach
    Yes, You do get used to it,especially if you've just done 24 Hour Race in a LHD Car. I'm from Australia,but I stepped out of my RHD Porsche Turbo,and took an Italian Gentleman for a quick drive into the Hills around Tuscany,in his LHD Ferrari 250 Testarossa...He was amazed..but it is what you get used to,Left or Right,doesn't matter.

Nospinzone likes this.
  14. Carsmith

Carsmith Rookie

Jun 2, 2005
    Palm Beach
    PS Every Ferrari was Right Hand Drive before 1958(Look at some of the 1947 on Ferrari Competition Cars.) unless specifically for a LHD Country Buyer.

15. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    there were plenty of LHD Road Ferraris before 1958

16. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    My wife drove and operated the pedals.

I operated the shift-lever.

No kidding.

Nospinzone likes this.
  17. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I would never buy a right hand drive car, and cant see why anybody would ?? I they belong in England, with that being said, any other country which is the same, they are considered s*** holes I would never, ever want to go any other such country, and when I visit England, I wont be driving anywhere. Lol

Thank you

18. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Wow you are super missing out.
    Being from RHD australia and visiting US , lost count of how many times, I find it almost automatic.
    As soon as you are in the ''other''seat it comes naturally.

simon klein likes this.
  19. Daniel Rigby

Daniel Rigby Rookie

Sep 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    CrocodileBoy
    Think you might find they don’t just belong in England, seeing as Japan, Australia and even India’s 1.4 billion people drive on the left. Granted some countries that drive on the left are s@?!holes, but many are arguably the most beautiful places on the planet like much of the Caribbean and Oceania. That’s quite a narrow minded and sad view of the world.
    In the UK, left hand drive vehicles are obviously cheaper. I have a left hand drive US imported Mercedes 250SL Pagoda, and no problems driving it. There we’re not many RHD drive and command a significant premium. Find the steering wheel on the opposite side makes only overtaking slightly harder which is not an issue in such a slow vehicle, otherwise LHD makes little to no difference to enjoying the car.
    I’ve never found it remotely difficult driving a LHD in the UK, or a RHD Porsche or Ferrari when doing driving trips through Europe including the Black Forest, Alps, Dolomites or to Le Mans. I would suggest if you struggle with that, the problem is your driving ability and not the cars or countries?
    To anyone else in America, I would be put off with a RHD drive especially a classic British one, and would highly recommend a driving trip around southern Germany, Austrian Tyrol, Italian Dolomites, north Scotland, or the French Alps... they are probably the best driving roads in the world.

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  20. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    I would suggest if you struggle with that, the problem is your driving ability and not the cars or countries?

I thought that, but you were brave enough to put it in print

21. Daniel Rigby

Daniel Rigby Rookie

Sep 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    CrocodileBoy
    Sorry, that should be “I wouldn’t be put off with RHD”. We did make some great cars especially E-type jags, AC ace (cobra), Austin Healey, Astons, MGs (although I think a lot of LHD were exported to US) etc albeit at times the build quality was a bit hit and miss...... something some current McLaren owners might sympathise with.
    Also US cars are popular here especially muscle cars and pick ups. England is a nice place to visit too by the way... just the roads generally rubbish, lots of roadworks and traffic and a large number of people seem to dislike or be jealous of Supercar owners!

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  22. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I do want to visit the UK, I love the British Folks, I was referring to owning a RHD here in the States. I have been watching a lot of streaming Doc shows about roads in 3rd world countries ,where the people ride and drive on, " other side of the road" I consider Australia / England the same when it comes to wanting to visit .

Thank you

23. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I was referring to , owning one here in the States, driving ability has nothing to do with it, with that being said, I would want to be able to focus on the scenery , and I would not be the least comfortable trying to get used to RHD on any visit to UK / Australia .

Thank you

24. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I lived in Japan for 3 years. It takes about a day to get used to. Very easy. Hard part is remembering what side of the car to go to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nospinzone likes this.
  25. Paul Kane

Paul Kane Karting

May 27, 2020
    Rickmansworth UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Kane
    If you think England is a sh** hole I think you need some serious educating....and you go on to say “when I visit England” well don’t bother.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app