Winter Blues | FerrariChat

Winter Blues

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by DocBasilone, Feb 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DocBasilone

DocBasilone Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    NW PA
    paulchua likes this.
  2. DocBasilone

DocBasilone Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    NW PA
  3. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    I keep mine on a battery tender. Works well.

DocBasilone likes this.
  4. DocBasilone

DocBasilone Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    NW PA
    Is there a kit for applying a terminal to attach the tender to.?

5. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Just attach the two alligator clips of the battery tender to the terminals of the battery (black to -m red to +). (Maybe I misunderstood your question.)

I never start the car when it's in winter storage, BTW. Just let it sit with a sump full of fresh motor oil. A simple formula for winter storage for all my cars: full tank of gas with fuel stabilizer, park the car on a sheet of plastic on the garage floor (to prevent condensation), tires to 40 psi, oil change at the very end. In my other cars I remove the battery and bring it inside the house. In the Mondial replacing the battery is enough of a pain that I simply connect the battery tender to it while in the car.

DocBasilone likes this.
  6. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    The battery tender has a cable that attaches to the battery then you connect/disconnect the battery tender to that quick connect fitting.

DocBasilone likes this.
  7. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/tenderchgr6.php?clickkey=4088

This is a nice litle battery tender, used one like it for 15 years, comes with the ring terminals you connect to the battery and then can plug in and unplug the tender when you need to. Might be avilable on Amazon as well, but Aircraft Spruce is a nice source for other products for aircraft that can be useful to know about for car maintenance.

These tenders actually desulphanate the battery while maintaining a charge, and that is what extends the battery life. It is a tender, so is not meant to charge a battery that has been seriously run down, it would do so but would take a long time. I have used it on regular lead acid batteries and AGM batteries, it is rated for both types.

To install the wiring ring terminals, you probably want to get at the battery through the wheel well, remove the wheel and there is a panel with a few screws that you remove and the battrery posts would be right there to easily attach the terminals to after losening the attachment nut, putting on the ring terminal and tighening back up. The wire extension would then poke out over the battery and be accessible from in the trunk to plug in the charger.

DocBasilone likes this.
  8. claus.stetter

claus.stetter Rookie

Jul 10, 2015
    Los Gatos
    I went with the CTEC Multi US 7002 which cost me $118+tax on Amazon. Comes with the terminals you can mount to the battery and also alligator clips if you don't want a fixed installation (though with the battery position in my Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet, I would not trust alligator clips to stay put). I had some cheap brand battery tender on my Jag XK-8 and it actually destroyed the battery within a year - I recommend to not cheap out on this. CTEC consistently has the highest ratings for their battery tenders. No issues so far in 3 months of use.

DocBasilone likes this.
  9. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    All of these are great suggestions. Just another nod to the Deltran Battery Tender Plus. I have had one on my Mondial and another on my '71 Mustang Mach 1 429 CJ for years. I just go direct with the alligator clips to both, and you can find a way to make the connections with the front bonnet closed. Sure beats trying to remember to start the car frequently enough in winter to keep the battery charged. Still waiting for what's left of 26" of snow to melt here in eastern PA. Spring can't come soon enough!

DocBasilone and moysiuan like this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    DocBasilone likes this.
  11. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    We use a Battery Tender. I removed a screw from the front air valance on the driver's side and mounted the connector underneath. With just one screw it will pivot and release the plug if I forget it and back out of the garage. I knew if I had to open the hood or walk to the passenger side that I would rarely plug it in.

DocBasilone and ronfrohock like this.