"The Lamborghini Miura" by Simon Kidston | Page 5 | FerrariChat

"The Lamborghini Miura" by Simon Kidston

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Ronald A. Berke, Oct 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Was this book's release date very well known in advance or did it launch on short notice? How difficult was it to acquire a copy from the initial sales and was it open to everyone? I don't follow car books so this wasn't on my radar, which is why I ask. I've only followed the Sled Driver airplane book and have a copy (second hand) so I can relate in that sense to prices...

2. stevewak

stevewak Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    UK
    The Miura book went on sale in July 2020 and was marketed via an email newsletter in early July. Orders came in from then onwards although some were kept back for those who had expressed an interest in book numbers to match their cars. The email list ran to all who had been chasing - justifiably - for the book for years, as well as friends and clients.

There were plenty for sale for a week or so and anyone could have ordered one. The book sold out quickly, but to say it was intended for, or only reserved for, ‘speculators’ is untrue. Many on the pre-order list had to be reminded the book was selling out. It was possible for anyone to buy one via the website. A post by Kidston Motor Cars (38,400 followers) on Instagram encouraged buyers mid-July to buy books as there were fewer than 200 remaining.

The 762 figure was the number of Miuras built. It was also, the Kidston team felt, speaking to those who had sold similar books at similar price point, what was right for the market. I bought a £400 Palawan DB3S book the other day that was one of only 1,000 printed many years ago, but still in stock. The eventual demand for the Kidston Miura book was unanticipated.

Kidston SA is a consultancy that presents cars for sale, not a publishing house.

swift53, 375+, Juli and 4 others like this.
  3. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Now that we are in "early 2021" can you guys that have ordered one let me know when you get a heads up (usually via DHL) when your Register is on the way.

375+, stevewak and bloomberg like this.
  4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Thank you. I'm not sure why anyone is upset about this as the book was available online for all and publicly advertised on IG as you said. The limited number also makes complete sense given the number built.

Boomhauer, Rosey and stevewak like this.
  5. stevewak

stevewak Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    UK
    Also, a book straight off the press was reviewed by Mick Walsh in the July copy of ‘Classic and Sports Car’ that came out in June, with clear link to sales website and how to order.

6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    All questions asked and answered. Can we give it a rest please?

Boomhauer, swift53, Sharknose and 5 others like this.
  7. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    +1

8. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    The "Taschen Ferrari Book" is a decent example of what 'limited editions' are
    and I do not see anyone criticizing their marketing or their prices, a kitschy display if I ever saw one.
    But, a bazillion flies cannot be wrong, right?

They also have on offer a:
    Robert Crumb’s Sex Obsessions
    Edition of 1,000, US$ 1,000.

Does anyone have objections about this and other myriad of titles of ' rare, or limited issuing'?
    For what it is worth, apart from their 'internal' dealings (SK) for which I cannot vouch or disavow,
    what is the BIG DEAL about the Miura book?
    It was offered for sale, you could buy 1 or 100, your prerogative.
    As well, as selling it for whatever your little heart or pocketbook desires?

Why hasn't anyone complained about the Dino Compendium, a lovely book that has skyrocketed in value,
    unbeknownst to all involved? Who cares. Buyers and sellers, supply and demand.

I think someone of relevance and notoriety on the subject, said that the next GTO will sell for 100 mill.
    SO? Will someone complain, possibly too expensive? There are more than a few...
    After all, it is not Leonardo d V. Urbis et Orbis, of which there is only one copy.
    And if Sir Jackie chose to pose as he did, I seriously doubt he was forced into it, and against his knowledge of the use.

Regards, Alberto

9. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Or Ferrari Opus.
    I bought that book (in standard edition) for both the content and for the potential future value.
    The content is fine, future value however is poor at best.
    Just like with most things in life... you win some, you lose some.

LVP488, swift53 and Lusso123 like this.
  10. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Yellow (S) copy at Horton's: GBP 3,750.-

11. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Well, if Horton's wishes those amounts, then they must know something I don't...

12. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Sold, it’s supply and demand, no mistery.

swift53 and Lusso123 like this.
  13. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    When Horton's sells a book is there a VAT charge?

gt4me likes this.
  14. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    No there's no VAT on any books in the UK.

swift53 likes this.
  15. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks, that’s good to know.

16. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Dino2400, swift53 and Jack-the-lad like this.
  17. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I'm expecting big things from this Register with this delay... just saying. :) :)

stevewak likes this.
  18. stevewak

stevewak Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    UK
    We don’t think you will be disappointed... We are working flat out on it and will be giving updates soon. In final, final checking stages and most layouts done.

A big thank you to everyone for your patience.

swift53, 375+, Dino2400 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Cheers Steve.

Rough ETA on dispatch ?

stevewak likes this.
  20. stevewak

stevewak Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    UK
    The book will go to the same UK printers in March. We had some problems with Covid delays of supplies last time, but fingers crossed will be shipping in April. We should certainly have some books and slipcases to show people by then. The checking takes time, and as we do that we come across new info and original pictures which, like we did for the main book, will need carefully correcting and grading to match. Some cars are complicated and their histories need handling in the clearest and fairest way possible.

Rosey and Dino2400 like this.
  21. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    Thank you for your reply Steve.

Much looking forward to what imho is the most important part of the book! And best, it is still available to all.
    In the meantime i'm much enjoying the main book.

Best,

Maarten

Rosey, 375+ and stevewak like this.
  22. MHK69

MHK69 Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt K
    Is the register a limited edition too?

stevewak likes this.
  23. stevewak

stevewak Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    UK
    We are not printing many 1000s but it will not be limited or numbered.

Lusso123 and gt4me like this.
  24. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    That works, but the pair is a must.
    It is like going grouse hunting with a double barrel shotgun with only one shell in it.
    Great work!

Regards, Alberto

Rosey and stevewak like this.
  25. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    The latest on the Register...

Greetings from the Kidston Miura Book team. With yet another copy of our 2020 Miura Book selling at auction for a record amount on the secondary market, you’re probably thinking: “Where’s my Register?”

Rest assured, we’re working flat out on it. Much of the design has been completed and the Register is in the final stages of checking, although every day throws up a new nugget of information, particularly on Miuras whose histories are intertwined.

We’ve always intended to go the extra mile in the Register, which has meant constantly reviewing every one of the cars listed, as well as checking the chronology of owners, details of colours, interior trim and small but significant changes made to the world’s first supercar over the life of its production. New period photographs are being discovered on a weekly basis of Miuras that need proper identification for inclusion in the book.

Given the increase in page numbers and size, we anticipate printing the Register some time in April. It’ll also be slightly heavier than planned. We hope by sharing some of the latest spreads from the forthcoming Register you’ll agree the wait will be worth it.

The original launch price of £250.00 will remain valid for the first 1,000 copies including those orders already received. From then onwards, the price will increase to £350.00.

Thanks again for your patience. The Lamborghini Miura Book exceeded every expectation so we have high standards to meet with the Register – we’re confident it’ll be as definitive as its sold-out companion of last year.

Very best wishes,

The Kidston Miura Book team

LVP488, swift53, gt4me and 1 other person like this.