Heat shields under carbon fiber engine panels | FerrariChat

Heat shields under carbon fiber engine panels

Discussion in '360/430' started by flash32, Feb 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Hello fellow chatters

I had my engine panels redone due to the typical yellowing and white heat damage

Before i finally put them back I was wondering what can be used to protect them from future damage.

The places are the coolant cover and right above the headers

Does anyone have a good proven solution ?

I have looked at the thin aluminum insulated sheets but am worried about the heat burning thru them and possibly causing a fire

So if someone found something to help protect the beautiful carbon fiber in our Scuderias please share .. i am thinking there is a perfect solution to be had that would be as easy as applying to the back of the panels ..but i didn't just want to go to Amazon and experiment with self adhesive heat tape etc

Thanks in advance

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

2. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    #2 janmante, Feb 5, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    I would suggest a good ceramic coating on your exhaust ! Headers and cats at least . Swain tech in NY is a good choice , they do work for all the top NASCAR teams . this can reduce heat up to about 50% other solutions are header blankets and exhaust wrap ( be sure you use the 2,000 degree F rated wrap to avoid any issues ) and you can use combinations of these as your preference and budget dictate .
    most of the deleterious heat comes from the exhaust clearly .
    You could as well apply some insulating material to the backside of the CF panels themselves but insulating heat from the exhaust will give the best results and properly done w/ top-notch materials is totally harmless to the exhaust itself

3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Thanks for the input

I am looking at just insulating the back of the various ct pieces and was hoping someone can point me to a thin good adhesive type backing .. any thoughts ?

4. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Do you mean the 2 large engine side panels? If so, I don't think insulating the back side will do anything as most of the heat is in the front face with heat coming off the headers and engine. There isn't anything behind the panel that generates heat so insulating that side won't do much.

However, if you insulate the front, you'd lose the carbon fiber look. Short of wrapping other components to mitigate radiant heat, there isn't much you can do.

With that said, I have the CS carbon panels in my engine bay and I also had them redone not too long ago in automotive clear coat for better UV resistance. I also applied a ceramic coating to it in a high temp coating made for wheels (Cquartz DLUX) to give it a little more resilience.

Nuvolari likes this.
  5. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    I have the standard metal panels on the F430 and have Fabspeed headers with no ceramic coating and no blankets. I did get some adhesive panels and applied to the backside of the side panels and it seemed to help with the heat issues in the upper engine compartment. The car was this way when purchased with no blankets etc, and I added the panel reflective heat shields. No issues so far and I hope it is helping.

This is what I used and there has been no sign of combustion etc. It is holding up well but don't know if it is really helping anything but it seems to be helping as the panels are cooler to the touch. It might help prevent discoloration on your expensive CF panels.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084C2YSSF/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

janmante and flash32 like this.
  6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Thanks

Thats what i am looking for .. unfortunately that is no longer available but it gets me an idea of what others have used

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Yes i am referring to the side panels

Here is the picture .. i will double check in person but I believe the headers are right below the panels as the pictures show

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Absolutely correct. The heat is coming from the wrong side so there is little that can be done to the carbon to protect it.

9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    So you think even after looking at picture ..not in front of car so just going by my pictures

10. Mel Spillman

Mel Spillman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    I have used this high heat wax on my carbon fiber engine panels for the last few years and my panels still look like new. Of course, I only drive the car a couple of times a month.

11. Mel Spillman

Mel Spillman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
  12. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    seriously ? With all due respect, hard to believe that wax would help much ! TBH !
    I was told the Ferrari clear on the CF yellows fr heat and there is just not much to do about it !
    we DO open our motor compartment lids here in the desert when we stop and it helps the compartment cool off faster - a bit !
    and I was told to just get the panels re-finished every few years when they yellow !
    my friend just got his CF engine covers re-finished and now said his airbox covers are yellowish ! ( see photo )
    The many available Exhaust blankets, ceramic coating and high temp wraps ( or some combination of those ) IS the needed first step !
    If someone is insisting on being a strict purist or going Ferrari Classique? we pity them ! Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    Yes, the headers are right below one NEEDS to insulate the pipes and it offers a plethora of other benefits to MANY other components too !
    Frankly, if you will not insulate the pipes any other solution is a futile waste of time !
    we do not see why someone wouldn't . ? Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    that product is not listed anymore and that seller has no other heat abatement products offered !
    I would suggest looking @ design engineering incorporated and Thermo tec websites, and google Automotive engine compartment heatproofing products

flash32 likes this.
  15. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    Can we ask why you do not solve the problem by insulating the exhaust ? I can tell you IME nothing else will work really ! but of course, it is your choice .

16. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    flash32 likes this.
  17. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020