Suspension creaks | FerrariChat

Suspension creaks

Discussion in '360/430' started by Dougster, May 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dougster

Dougster Karting

Feb 28, 2013
    Dallas TX Area
    Anyone have some tips on reducing the "creaking" in the suspension on a 430? I know it's not a new car anymore - just flipped 20K last week (and it didn't fall apart or burst into flames!)

Anyway there is a lot of creaking when going over bumps especially at low speed or maybe that's just when it's easier to hear. Seems more from the front than the rear but hard to tell sometimes. I'm up to date on annual services and replaced all 4 lower shock bushings last year but I'd really like to reduce the amount of noise. Is there something that needs to be greased or some other bushings that I should check?

I'm hopeful someone out there has some tips.

Thanks for the help!

2. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Have you check the ball joints too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. honda.vfr

honda.vfr Karting

Jun 22, 2012
    Ostrava, CZ (EU)
    Full Name:
    Milan Pukl
    And the screws fixing shock absorbers to lower arms?

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    :D ...

5. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    #5 StickBreitling, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
    I would definitely check the ball joints first. The standard Ferrari ones are chrome plated and as such will start deteriorating once this flakes off.

I purchased my car after all front suspension ball joints were replaced. Shortly after the car started creaking going over humps on drier days. The sound went away for a bit after I sprayed silicon grease around the sway bar bushings. When the car was serviced, the tie rods were replaced and the squeaking went away completely. I probably will replace the sway bar bushings as they caused the squeaks when the tie rods were shot.

It's hard to diagnose, but start with a can of silicon grease and spray around the ball joints, sway bar bushings and tie rods on separate occasions. Take the car for a drive to see if one of those locations reduces the squeaking.

6. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    I am with Stick on this one, would definitely start with some grease and head right to the ball joints, and then look into all the bushings and smaller suspension components surrounding.

7. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I have a little of the same creaking but it goes away after a minute or so. My tech said to grease the lower shock mounting bolts and grease the sway bar bolts too. Bolts out, bit of grease and back in. Will be doing it when I do the next service.

8. Thrasher

Thrasher Formula Junior

May 26, 2012
    London UK
    Ball joints are consumables...if you want long lasting: Hills Engineering

9. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Ball joints, tie rods, drop links.

10. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mine does the exact same thing. After a minute or 2 it goes away. Does anyone know which grease is best to use to help this along,,Thanks

11. Dougster

Dougster Karting

Feb 28, 2013
    Dallas TX Area
    Thanks guys - you have just planned out my Saturday...

12. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    I have the same. It's not a huge issue but common on our 430's. I recently purchased the swaybar bushes and sway links. The bushings dry up and tend to make noise. Inexpensive and easy DIY. They will be replaced next week.

13. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    I test drove a 2007 F430 a while ago and the steering column had lots of creaks and groans over minor bumps. I talked with a Ferrari mechanic and he pointed out the bushings in the steering column are routinely replaced, so you should look at these also.

14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I am in the process of renewing the upper wishbone ball joints. When taking the wishbones off i found that the
    Flambloc pin was very tight in the wishbone bush. On removing the pins , they need wire brushing which frees them up. I used synthetic motorbike chain spray to reassemble them.
    This is good stuff as it sprays on like wd 40 but dries like a grease, if it stays on bike chains in the rain it will do well here.

15. Dougster

Dougster Karting

Feb 28, 2013
    Dallas TX Area
    I assume you are referring to parts #22 and #26 on the front suspension part table lookup? If so I will get them ordered.

Thanks to all for the input!

16. Dougster

Dougster Karting

Feb 28, 2013
    Dallas TX Area
    Just a follow up. I ended up replacing the sway bar bushings and end links. That helped a little, but as suggested by the gurus above, spraying some silicon in the ball joints did the trick!

Thanks as always for the suggestions!!

17. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    any DIY/ guide you used for this?

Thanks

18. Nel1

Nel1 Karting

Jul 11, 2012
    My Scud also had the noise coming from the front suspension. I came across the option shown in the pictures attached. I sold the car before I tried this option so I do not know if it works or not but the company claims that it addresses the issue.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. Dougster

Dougster Karting

Feb 28, 2013
    Dallas TX Area
    I did not use a guide or find a DIY. Was pretty straight forward.

Removed both front wheels, then removed both end links from the sway bar. I was then able to get the sway bar bushings out and new ones in without removing the sway bar from the vehicle using a flat end 1/4" punch to tap the bushings out of the mount. Put a little grease on the new ones and put them in as far as I could. When everything got tightened up they pulled the rest of the way in.

The sway links are easy just a lot of little turns with a shorty wrench as the control arms only let you get about 3/8 of a turn without adjusting the wrench each time. Would be nice if Ferrari had put 4 flats on the studs instead of 2...

For the ball joint lube, just used a small pick to work the little tube from the can of spray lube under the upper seal of each joint, then a few blasts of the silicon lube took care of business.

Hope that helps. I'm enjoying the quieter ride!

20. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    Consider trying motorcycle chain lube next time.
    It will last MUCH longer.

Cheers

21. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    This thread makes me think the consensus is that I should use chain lube on my new ball joints, rather than the redline cv2 I purchased for this purpose?

Really?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

22. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    As I was in KL for the GP 3 yrs back I went payed these guys a visit. IIRC the guys has a scud and I wanted to buy a set of P bushes but he told me they could not get anymore set.:(

23. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
  24. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Yeah, mine aren't as bad as all that, but now they're replaced with hill engineering, so.....

But are we serious about the chain lube, instead of grease? That seems counter intuitive.

Anybody?

25. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    I think once or twice a yr the dust covers should come off the BJ's cleaned out and wee bit of lube wacked in there even if your using HE BJ's, more often if you drive your car in the rain. Any average joe blo can do that.
    Cheers

jag-oo-r likes this.