Display button not working 2010 Ferrari California | FerrariChat

Display button not working 2010 Ferrari California

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by rbellezza, Feb 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    Hello all, hope someone can help ..
    there are 4 buttons (Mode, Display and Up/Down) located on the left side of the steering wheel needed to navigate the TFT display on the 2010 California. The Display button is needed to access the menu but doesn't do anything. The Mode and the Up/Down buttons both work. I read the manual but i can't find anything that indicate there is a lock on the Display function. Do i have a bad Display button ? What am i missing ?
    Any info i really appreciate ...

2. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #2 Bill Phillips, Feb 5, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    There’s no lockout feature. My Display button hasn’t quit working, but it has developed a glitch recently. When pressed, the display changes to the tire pressure/temperature screen but then immediately reverts back to the original water/oil temp gauges screen. When pressed a second time it works normally.

On a related note, a while back the R gearbox control button stopped working, preventing the selection of reverse gear. I was going to have all three buttons refinished anyway, so I disassembled the R selector and found that, like the power window switches, there’s a very fragile internal mechanism which translates a physical movement into an electrical signal. I was able to repair a very small, delicate broken piece of plastic using model airplane glue, saving hundreds of dollars because all three selector buttons and their wiring harness are a single part.

As for the Mode/Display panel, I suspect something similar is your problem. It is fairly easy to remove the unit by prying it out from the dash. I used two regular place setting knives, one on each side, to lift it out enough until I could grasp it with my fingers. It just unplugs from its wiring harness. I removed mine to have the buttons refinished along with the gearbox selectors and the air conditioning control panel.

3. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    Thank you for your answer, so no lock. Unfortunately, i took the buttons down and tested right on the display switch, 9V goes down to 0 when the switch is pressed, just like the other 3 buttons. So, the switch is working and also there is connection with the IO board since i have 9V before pressing. I was thinking to unplug the battery and reboot. Maybe the Menu software is frozen ?

LARRYH likes this.
  4. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    That’s certainly possible, I can’t count the number of times I’ve had weird problems with different display warnings and notifications that cleared themselves after shutting down and restarting. Just the other day the gear indicator window in the lower right quadrant of the tachometer went blank while I was shifting. I ran through the gears in both automatic and paddle shift modes, then into neutral and reverse and it finally came back after a minute or two. Stray electrons...

5. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    Unplugging the battery and plugging it back 30 minutes later didn't work. Not been able to access the menu mostly means no clock update and not been able to reset the TPMS.

6. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Do you have any way to check if it has thrown any malfunction codes? There may be a faulty relay somewhere.

7. davidtopp

davidtopp Karting

Jun 7, 2019
    UAE
    Full Name:
    David Topp
    I have a Cali 30 2013 and the display modes do not work unless you switch off the sensor button in the middle of the overhead control panel above the mirroir. Nothing in the manual about it and I had to go back to the garage to find out. I trust you have tried this?

akevslife and tomc like this.
  8. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Wow, I also have a ‘13 Cali but I never heard of that problem before. Like I said earlier, stray and/or non-English speaking electrons. o_O

9. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    That was it ! Thank you so very much !

tomc likes this.
  10. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I’m glad that solved your problem, but that solution is still indicative of a malfunction. When the parking sensors are armed and sense an object while you are parking or backing out of the garage say, the display switches to show you where the object is. Then when you drive away the display will automatically change back to the round gauges. That transition takes several seconds but if you turn the overhead switch off while the display is still in parking sensor mode it will change immediately. You appear to have a problem which prevents the mode from changing from parking sensor display to instrument gauge display automatically. Just remember that when you turn the parking sensors off you won’t get a warning if you are about to hit something.

11. Paulosilvafl

Paulosilvafl Rookie

Sep 15, 2022
    Full Name:
    Paulo Pereira Silva
    I have the same problem, did you fix it?

12. Paulosilvafl

Paulosilvafl Rookie

Sep 15, 2022
    Full Name:
    Paulo Pereira Silva
    I removed the switch and put it in another car, it worked perfectly, I also disconnected the battery, to no avail! Did anyone manage to solve it?

13. Paulosilvafl

Paulosilvafl Rookie

Sep 15, 2022
    Full Name:
    Paulo Pereira Silva
    I managed to solve the problem, the parking sensors were in an operating mode that only allowed the menu to be used when the car is over 10 miles, there is a button on the roof where this function can be turned off, then you can enter the menu and change the function.