488 Ceramic Brake issue | FerrariChat

488 Ceramic Brake issue

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by McLarenSLR, Jan 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. McLarenSLR

McLarenSLR Rookie

Oct 17, 2011
    Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Tifosi
    Hi guys

Hope everyone is doing good and keeping healthy during the pandemic.

I have a Ceramic brake issue that I wanted to get feedback from so I have the most knowledge going into this. I own a 2016 488 GTB that I really treat as my pride and joy. I bought it new and have done 10,689km (6636 miles) on clock to date. About a week back I decided to take it on track for the first time ever under super vision and instruction of a track instructor/ professional race car driver.

We checked the car out to make sure it was good to go and did about 9-10 laps about 4-5 laps a window session with a cool down. On the last lap coming down the straits, the brakes travel felt light and went to the floor with only a minimum amount of stoppage. We cool down the car and afterwards inspected the car with 2 other track instructors and could see nothing visibly wrong. The pads and disk looked fine. We drove the car in the street and the pedal feel began to come back. It felt like there was an air bubble in the brake line and the fluid possibly overheated because it was old or poor quality.

I drove the car home with the brake pedal feeling like it was normal with just a hint of squeal which to my knowledge and experience is normal for ceramics. I sent it to the dealer before they assed it as “Brake pads are cracked and disk overheated. Brake caliper gaitors deformed”. I found this really odd as the car was not pushed beyond the limits it was kept in a reasonable tolerance. The VDA never gave a warning saying the brakes were over it remained green. For what I was told it felt like the car was going to fall apart at any moment yet I was able to drive the car home and i did not notice anything odd with the brakes other that a slight squeal but I figure that’s normal.

I’m taking the car to have a second opinion as their recommendation was to replace the disk and pads which I know from the dealer is never cheap. I saw someone who said they were able to get their ceramics for $10,000 outside but not sure for which Ferrari it was. I keep thinking it’s a brake flush and maybe pads but I can’t imagine the brakes are gone.

Any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated, the more the better. As this is all new territory for me. Thank you in advance.

PS: I’ve attached some photos that I took with the flash on. Not sure if it helps but showed someone and they said they still need to see it in person to figure out if it’s true or BS.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. McLarenSLR

McLarenSLR Rookie

Oct 17, 2011
    Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Tifosi
    Hi, guys quick update for anyone watching. Turns out the first service center lied to me flat out. I took the car to their other branch for a second opinion and was told the brakes are ok they just need a cleaning and fluid change. In total it cost about $500. Thank you to those that were sending me advice. I really appreciate it.

luccio, pdxjim488 and SECRET like this.
  3. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    @McLarenSLR glad you didn't end up doing what the first shop recommended.

From what you described, it sounds like the brake fluid may have had some air bubbles in the line, or the fluid that was in there may have overheated or boiled. If it's not too late, I'd suggest switching over to Castrol SRF brake fluid if you plan to track again.

Before I head out to a track day, I usually have my local shop do a fluid flush with some fresh SRF. Considering how expensive the car is, the cost of the fluid is worth it.

ZF123 likes this.
  4. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I was going to say it’s just your fluid got hot and boiled. I see your black anodized rotor hats turned purple....you heated up the brakes which is normal but the stock fluid cannot handle the heat. You need something like Castrol SRF or Motul RBF660 or Endless fluid.

McLarenSLR and SECRET like this.
  5. McLarenSLR

McLarenSLR Rookie

Oct 17, 2011
    Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Tifosi
    Thank you for the reply. I realize I need better fluid now. I just had the dealer put in fluid but on the next change, I will take my own and ask them to put it in. Thanks again.

mdrums likes this.
  6. Atlantic

Atlantic Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2015
    Porto, Portugal/New York, USA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    With all due respect, you should name the dealer that tried to rip you off in order to prevent others from suffering the same fate.

SECRET and McLarenSLR like this.
  7. McLarenSLR

McLarenSLR Rookie

Oct 17, 2011
    Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Tifosi
    to be honest, I thought about doing it but its at a dealer service branch outside of North America so not sure how useful the info would be.

8. Atlantic

Atlantic Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2015
    Porto, Portugal/New York, USA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    It would be useful to those in your area. No one wants to be a rat but in this case it is justified.

McLarenSLR likes this.
  9. luccio

luccio Rookie

Feb 10, 2021
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Luccio
    It's amazing the amount of BS that goes on as soon as we track cars. And that's with all brands.
    Glad you got it figured out and didn't waste unnecessary money and time!

McLarenSLR likes this.
  10. McLarenSLR

McLarenSLR Rookie

Oct 17, 2011
    Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Tifosi
    It was the service center in Abu Dhabi.

Atlantic likes this.
  11. McLarenSLR

McLarenSLR Rookie

Oct 17, 2011
    Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Tifosi
    Really it was a blessing of a few people as well as you guys on the site. I cant thank everyone enough