F8 - Upgrade the S-Duct standard full ugly plastic | FerrariChat

F8 Upgrade the S-Duct standard full ugly plastic

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MalibuGuy, Feb 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I did not realize that the standard plastic used for the S-Duct was going to be so dull and cheap-looking. It literally looks like the same plastic used for a $1.99 water bucket. I presumed it would match the high gloss black trim used on the headlights , wing mirror triangle, and in the case of a spider the B-pillar trim.

So I am looking to either find a replacement or re-finish the part, to either a matching glossy black or carbon-fiber . Any suggestions?

Dicecal and GT2goneF like this.
  2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    My take on specifying extras is to do all or none. Do you have any carbon on the outside ? If so this should have been carbon. Change to carbon,

If not it leave it as it is.

Other option is to take every black part off and get it painted Gloss black.

IMO you should have really took your time with this. However I'm sure it can be remedied but will cost you a packet.

GT2goneF likes this.
  3. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    yes I've got carbon on the front bumper insert and also on the rear boot lid

The trouble is that none of the demo cars showed the standard S Duct and it never occurred to me that the standard offering would be so ugly.

The S-Duct look like it is a simple piece to remove Three Torx screws. I'll probably get a carbon fiber piece maybe from Ferrari if they sell just the collar on the bonnet.

I think the other options are to wrap the little piece or else polish it smooth amd paint it glossy black

Any of those options would be an improvement

But I am glad I got the front bumper insert and rear boot lid trim in carbon. Those are large pieces which catch your eye and they would look awefull in the standard dull cheap plastic.

Ferrari why ?

Dicecal and MANDALAY like this.
  4. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    When I originally planned my option for the F8 ( which I later cancelled),the dealer brought that issue up and I had spec the CF option. However,it does not appear that noticeable for the casual observer. I would not worry about it or opt later for a reproduction when the usual vendors replicate.

ScottS and GT2goneF like this.
  5. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Just get the OEM parts. I agree that they should all come with CF S ducts. Or at least some better looking plastic. I’m not a fan of a lot of CF, but that’s one exception.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

GT2goneF likes this.
  6. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I am painting all my plastic cheap black exterior elements in Nero to match the roof and my air intake splitters.

JAM1, MANDALAY and MalibuGuy like this.
  7. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I agree with the awful look of all exterior plastic trims. Hence why I am painting them all.

Check with @TAGMotorsports. I believe Novitec may have the CF S duct and they distribute for Novitec near SD. I didn't want any exterior CF at all. Only have in the interior because I don't like the silver plastic/aluminum looking elements.

MANDALAY and MalibuGuy like this.
  8. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    We have a common sentiment about CF

Need4Spd likes this.
  9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    i mean my mother's Lexus which I bought for her on Mother's Day has nicer looking black glossy trim

I don't think I am being overly fussy or histrionic to complain about how Ferrari has done the standard trim. How much more does it cost to do the trim in glossy black paint? $100 on a car that costs 305,000 USD from a company that strives to remain at the pinnacle of automotive design. Hey Stilo Ferrari -- maybe I should send you my ugly trim plastic to frame on your wall of design achievements.

I love Ferrari That is why I want them to do better.

GT2goneF and Need4Spd like this.
  10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Did you ask Ferrari the price to do them ?

11. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I agree 100%, LOOKS awful. I think Ferrari does this in hopes you will order carbon as they make BIG DOLLARS on this option, CRAZY money. I might remove all my plastic parts and paint gloss black.

12. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    wthensler likes this.
  13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    But its still black plastic in the bumper ? Do they have that piece also ?

14. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    No the middle is a rubberized material that is probably there by design, keep debris from ricocheting over the hood.

MANDALAY likes this.
  15. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Not all of them. I had them do the air intake splitters and they raped me. They charged me the same amount of money as if they had placed they CF ones. For the mirror housing they charged me a little over $1,600. However (and luckily) they "forgot" and didn't do it> What they didn't "forget" was to remove the charge from the bill. So I am now having them review my order and send me the list of options with prices to see what other things I was charged for and "forgotten" to do.

I am having my car guy do the S duct, front lip, front bumper, side skirts and rear diffuser with paint correction, ceramic and PPF. 7k. So my advice to you. Get a standard car and modify with a quality trustworthy 3rd party business.

16. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Not as ridiculous as wanting LED's , so i pay for the LED / carbon steering wheel . Then i pay extra to remove the carbon and have 100% leather with LED's.

So they will be disassembling a lot of parts on your car so as to paint.

How about as discussed above the bumper section of the S-Duct ?

17. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Yeah, I remember your CF steering wheel aversion. It is ridiculous how they don't have a leather LED steering wheel option so they charge you for the CF LED steering wheel and then charge you to undo that and place leather.

It is all getting painted.

I just saw a video from Topaz that @TSOYBELIS posted of a Griggio F8 (I think it was griggio with blue CF trims) and I think I am going to ask my guy to paint the frunk plastic trim Nero as well. Which also gave me an idea about the engine compartment. What do you think about the engine compartment in Nero? Would it look good?

18. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    You’re making it even more perfect for me one day!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

GT2goneF likes this.
  19. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    #19 GT2goneF, Feb 7, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    With all that said. There is always that "worse" option. If you think that the car being original is bad.

I invite you to "worse"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MalibuGuy likes this.
  20. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

No don't touch the engine bay. There is a lot of heat from the engine. Unless its high temperature paint ( silicon based ) it will fail.....

You like the carbon dont you ? Ild put that there but again those pieces will go yellow but you wont notice it that much unless you put a new part next to it.

BTW the frunk yes but as posted above the bumper section is rubberized , DO NOT PAINT THAT.

21. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Interesting as the Pista is painted , different material ?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

MalibuGuy likes this.
  22. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    My car doesn't have any exterior CF. Only CF in in interior. I like the "Night Package" look instead of CF. We've been through this before.

The engine bay came up as am idea, and of course, it would be heat resistant paint, if I decide to do it. It is still just an idea. Have to run it by my guy and see if he can make it happen.

What I don't follow is the part that you say is rubberized? Obviously, I wouldn't paint any rubberized material. But which part are you referring to?

Sent from my BLA-A09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    It’s definitely a plastic material with a texture to it, not sure if it’s paintable or not. It’s not that visible unless you are bending over looking straight down the S duct....

MANDALAY likes this.
  24. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    ....by the time I finished with the option list, thats exactly how I was :D

25. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    My F8 came with the plastic S - Duct piece left in the trunk unassembled. I had all the black plastic exterior pieces wrapped in high gloss black vinyl. Looked great.

GT2goneF likes this.