F8 - Drove the F8...really really want to love it, but.... | Page 10 | FerrariChat

F8 Drove the F8...really really want to love it, but....

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ngcanada, Jun 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    They are both good. I drove the 488 Spider for two years and really liked how it felt but I wanted to have a different Ferrari experience so I ordered the 812 and got one in three months. I have been driving it a year and it takes some getting used to the length because it's a bit visually unnerving. However, once you have gotten over that, it performs very well in corners and you can actually break the rear end loose under control and push it through the corners. So to me, it's the better car because of the roomier cabin and better all around visibility. I also have really liked the hatchback for going to the store and tennis, the frunk is a PITA. Each car has it's merits.

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  2. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Pics of your F8 please!

AD211 likes this.
  3. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Thats what I was worried about, the driving experience from the rear engine dynamics. I am sure I will miss it, but at this point, I felt it was a right of passage so to speak, moving into a Ferrari V12, sort of a flagship of the brand. I had a Mercedes SLS AMG for five years, and I would think this would be along the same driving dynamics which is the front engine mid way up through the long hood, and your basically sitting on the rear wheels. We shall see!! Never drove an 812 nor have I been a passenger either hahaha. Guess I will have to find a way to love it!

wrs and Caeruleus11 like this.
  4. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The SLS is great looking but which looks better here?

5. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Ooof. I pick the one on the right! Wow nice pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrs likes this.
  6. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Spider68, GT2goneF, jm2 and 1 other person like this.
  7. harrish1985

harrish1985 Formula Junior

Jun 17, 2016
    Miami, FL
    It's on order. I'm waiting on dealer to send me the pdf from configurator. Once I have that I'll be happy to share.

8. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Please take your time. I just traded my 8 month old 812 for a Pista. It was the perfect spec and color, Rosso Scuderia. I have been looking for one for over 2 years. I really enjoyed the 812 but missed the Ferrari V8. And thanks to many here I decided to keep the order for the F8 as it should be more civilized. Had some buyers remorse seeing the 812 leave, until the next morning with a 30 mile drive in the Pista!! Extremely pleased with this trade.

ryalex, wrs, SECRET and 1 other person like this.
  9. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    With some minor edits for sound, the Pista is a dream. You really feel the "effortlessness" coming from a Lusso to a Pista. Very fortunate to have both in the stable, and to be able to hear the amazing Lusso V12 every day. The sound of the Ferrari V12 is honestly second to none.

Pis7a2020, racerdj and GT2goneF like this.
  10. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Agree will probably add an 812 someday, but not to replace my F8. Was tempted because my dealers last allocated 812 build spot was just vacated by the customer with the order status at 10G, so everything was changeable.

of2worlds, racerdj, GT2goneF and 2 others like this.
  11. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I am with you on that!

12. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    FWIW, I don't find the 812 driving dynamics anywhere like the long hood, sitting on rear axle AMG GT experience (I know its not not SLS).

RWS and the incredible steering precession transform the drive.

Pis7a2020 and ryalex like this.
  13. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    The F8 is so much more playful and accessible than an 812. You can just get your arms around it and start enjoying the experience.

812 is a completely different proposition, from the second you hit the red button. Sound, NA engine, driving position and dynamics all need more time to get used to.

What the F8 gives as driver-reward for exploring its performance, the 812 instead chooses to serve small reminders, with an element of fear. I love it for that!

14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Ng I’m excited to see the 812! Any dealer pictures? I think that you’re going to love it. I had the same feelings that you did, and for me the F12 has been a dream come true. The balance is obviously different with the weight in front of you and the steering wheels a metre in front of your feet rather than being in line with your ankles.

Once you use the vast torque and dive into a sweeper with the engine screaming, everything will be right in the world.

GT2goneF and wrs like this.
  15. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Very true as just disconnecting the vacuum lines which my dealer accomplished before delivery.

GT2goneF and SECRET like this.
  16. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    This is exactly what I like to hear! I am looking forward to learning to handle this V12. I need, I mean really really need to be in a car that is an event when I hit the little red button. Thats me. The F8 did not offer that to me.

GT2goneF likes this.
  17. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Thanks. Very nervous and excited at the same time. I like the spec in this one as well. It’s the Rosso 70anni with the beige tradizione. I have always likes the Nero interior but this one is telling me it’s time for a change.

18. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    For me, the TDF wheels complete the look. Deal breaker without them.

GT2goneF and wrs like this.
  19. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Great comment on the wheels. I opted to stay with the standard rims on my F-8 order and have the TDF wheels being held for the install upon delivery of the F-8. I had them on my 812 and agree they complete the look. The rims are approx. $11k which you might be able to get a lower price while negotiations proceed with your find.

wrs likes this.
  20. Atlantic

Atlantic Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2015
    Porto, Portugal/New York, USA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Keep the 458! Obviously the F8 does not sing to you.

Clay512TR likes this.
  21. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    I agree. I was thinking about sourcing them.