My very personal comparison of the 458 and F8 spider | FerrariChat

My very personal comparison of the 458 and F8 spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MalibuGuy, Feb 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #1 MalibuGuy, Feb 7, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    I want to share my subjective comparison of my 2014 458 spider and my new F8 spider

Exterior design:
    I find that the F8 is a more intriguing and modern design. The 458 must be seen as the foundation for the 488 and F8. The 458 is less busy and perhaps will be seen as the more pure shape. But I think the F8 is a great looking Ferrari.

Interior design:
    The 458 is again the seminal interior. I find it better than the 488. And while the F8 owes its roots to the 458, I think the F8 carries the design forward. The cockpit feels more spacious owing to the more compact dash and smaller steering wheel.
    Although I like the smaller diameter and shape of the F8 steering wheel, I do miss and prefer the larger grip of the 458. For me the smaller girth of the F8
    wheel is a miss--a mistake which I hope will be corrected. Another design miss is the design of the glovebox with its ordinary and clumsy front latch--a design miss. On the other hand, the 458's remote button on the center console was visually superior and much more elegant.
    The F8s cockpit display lighting is superior to the 458 which was often difficult to see.
    The interior rear view mirror in the F8 is better than the 458. So is the standard radio and infotainment. The seats, I have the full electric in both cars, the F8 seats are very comfortable.
    The F8 has more advanced safety and drivers aids. I found them annoying as I am used to driving a mid rear sports car with its blind spots. I turned them off in the F8. Also hated the F8 Stop Start and am glad that I don't have to turn it off every time I drive. Also didn't want the cruise control. Won't ever use it.

Handling and Acceleration :
    The F8 is amazingly planted and composed. Some of the excitement is gone because the F8 makes you relax as it is so in control. The electronic steering is extremely predictable without any surprises.

Braking: There have been complaints
    about loss of braking and uneven braking in the 458 and 488. So far I find the F8
    braking to be extremely even, inspiring and significantly better than the 458.

In terms of acceleration, the F8 is noticeably quicker than the 458. There is no Turbo lag. The F8 is a delight on the road.

Engine music and Excitement:
    On start up the F8 is loud. However the noise isn't beautiful. Then after two minutes, the exhaust notes changes to a soft purr. And that is what you are left with.
    There is no vibration inside the cockpit.
    The steering wheel, your seat, the center console are vibrationless. In the 458, you are constantly reminded that you are sat in a Ferrari. Everything you touch and are surrounded by is alive due to vibration of the engine. And when driving there is the glorious sound of a Ferrari engine. It howls and crackles and spits. The imperfections in handling and braking somehow create drama and add a certain "je ne sais quoi"
    to ones drive which makes the 458 still relevant in spite of its age.

This where the F8 finds its achilles heel. The passion is missing.

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Thanks for sharing that. I only had about 20-25 mins of F8 seat time but that’s exactly what I felt too. Except I liked the F8’s smaller steering wheel. I liked the 458 one too, but it is a little chunky.

I wish they could make the twin turbo sound like an F40. It is a bizarre thing to say but if they could make the steering and braking input have more feedback, and make the sound more sharp and raw, I would do what I needed to to get one. I have posted here several times: I love the look and spec and want to want it. But after two tries it didn’t push the button.

3. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Friend you know too much.
    I think anyone else who got to drive the F8 would have no issues in their rear view mirror. After all if they have sat their fathers Tesla S, they would be amazed at the fact one could hear the engine.

Very nice to drive.

FerrariBrent and ryalex like this.
  4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Are you keeping the 458?

5. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Thanks for the write up. One of the really nice things about this forum is threads like these, where we can share personal experiences about cars without getting overly emotional.

My overall experience with the 458 spider has been phenomenal. As I’ve gotten over the Ferrari mystique and run the car hard, I’ve learned of its strengths and more important, its weaknesses. I agree with your synopsis of the 458 - sticky buttons aside, my biggest complaints are a lack of true low end punch, inconsistent and non linear brake modulation, excessive body roll in very aggressive twisty conditions, and a few more minor ones. Contrast these with its strong points - driver position and engagement, overall feel and sound, raw excitement, driving enjoyment. For a first Ferrari, I picked pretty well (maybe too well). Let’s face it, the 458 was always going to be a tough act to follow.

I’ve got an order in for an F8 Spider, and my observations after seat time are quite on par with yours. I really want to like an alternate car - like the 812. But it’s awful large (to me) and seems a little too GT like. Perhaps I’m just not ready.

I agree about the F8 sound, its improvements and its strong points. Incredible turbo, improved braking, crisp. Sound will always be an issue for many. And yes, it comes across more refined (I like the smaller wheel), but perhaps at a cost. But I’m in a different place now and appreciate that a mid engine car can still retain many of the Ferrari attributes, yet not have to do so with that raw, in your face drama. The F8 for me represents what’ll probably be the last mid engine Ferrari. I’ll have the opportunity to demo it more over the next months, hopefully won’t change my present way of thinking.

Finally, I’m in the queue for (if they can ever get their act together) the STO. I figured between that and the 458, it should be more than sufficient to keep my desire for the raw feel and sound of the NA nostalgia at bay. We shall see.........

6. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Yes I’m keeping the 458. I’m looking forward to how I feel about both cars as I am able to compare them on a day to day basis.

7. Tito1969

Tito1969 Karting

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Tito Kabir
    I drove it for an hour through winding Yorkshire dales. Slightly damp with a F test driver.

I found the build quality noticability better than the 458.

It also felt more planted , less skittish. Whether that’s a bonus I’m not entirely sure.
    Lost some of the magic almost too good.
    But undoubtedly a step forward.

The brakes were better. Stopped from the get go.

I didn’t mind the sound not as F1 circa 2001 but more blowing.

The performance was much stronger. But on the road this was a mute point.

Overall maybe consider it if / when the 458 looses its charm. That may of course never happen.

FerrariBrent, MalibuGuy and GT2goneF like this.
  8. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I think this is very smart if you have space!
    I appreciate these kind of comparisons no matter which way they lean.

MalibuGuy likes this.
  9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I was just watching this video - I think it tells it pretty much like it is:

I have a test drive scheduled for the F8, but I sincerely doubt it will be more enjoyable than a dial in used 458.

Ray

Mikael-F360 and docf like this.
  10. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Excellent review. I had the same impression of the F8. This lead me to the 812....as far as how much bigger it is than say an F8, the 812 is only about 3 inches longer. It’s the long hood of the 812 that gives off an impression of grandiose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FerrariBrent and MalibuGuy like this.
  11. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yeah, the 812 is amazing. I test drove one and it's maybe the only car, along with perhaps an F40, that I would select over the 458 Italia.

Ray

430jm, MalibuGuy and GT2goneF like this.
  12. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Thanks for insight. I’m glad I’m driving a 580-2 instead of a 488 and will go to a EVO RWD instead of an F8

nickorette likes this.
  13. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Don't knock it... You may be surprised.

The sound; that can be addressed.

14. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Before we all forget what a Ferrari used to sound like . You can feel the passion!

VAF84, Caeruleus11, TR007 and 3 others like this.
  15. Wangotango123

Wangotango123 Karting

Aug 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Rafael olarte
    As a new owner I’m shocked so many F car owners are fixated on nontangible things like “ passion” and “sound”.
    To me F cars are about tangibles like performance and visual appeal.
    I drive my buddies 458 and yes it sounds great but does it outperform an F8 or 488?

16. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Okay. I have an F8 and had a 488. I skipped the 458. Also have a 360 Spider. And 430 manual. And a couple others.
    Was offered a 458 for a very good deal. I thought I would buy it and keep it and drive it daily ( high miles car).

Drove it for an hour or so.
    I am sure if I had a 458 and bought it from newish and aged with it, I would feel differently. But for me, from the F8 and 488, it left me lacking. It sounded great- no argument. It looked great- again the more pure form. But the speed and age are starting to show. The roof liner was hanging, the tech was older and the form factor dies not make me love it. I really thought I would. I hear what y’all say and how you feel the road differently and long for that first raw digital ride, But it did not resonate with me. I feel dejected.

I am not disagreeing with any of y’all’s assessment at all. Just how I felt. Keep in mind I drive the heck out of my 360 and love it so much. And yes, I like my F8 and do not disagree with any of the criticism y’all have described. But for a fraction of a price and a good deal that would not depreciate, I passed.

So I bought an 812.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    SoCal to az and GT2goneF like this.
  18. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Outstanding insights. Thank you.

Why is the F8 going to be the last mid engine Ferrari? What rumors are out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MalibuGuy likes this.
  19. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Nostalgic beauty that video sums it all!

20. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    #20 GT2goneF, Feb 7, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    It comes down to the personal connection between the car and the individual. This is a very subjective issue. I can understand what some are saying about the 458 vs any modern car. I have a 997 GT2. I feel that it is as connected I can be to the road compared to any other modern car, probably including the 458. It is a fully mechanical machine. A grown up's go-cart. It has nothing to do with power. It has everything to do with how you feel when you drive it. It could be a Ford Fiesta for all I know. If it makes you smile and gives you a little bit of fear when you push it to the limits, but you still do because you trust it and you trust you can manage it; that is the car you want.

cole328, VAF84, FerrariBrent and 2 others like this.
  21. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Hell yea.. 812!

22. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
  23. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Not trumors. The next in line to replace the V8 rear mid-engine is the LB, which is a V6 Turbo (Toaster) Electric. No more V8 after this... The days of of V12 are for sure done. Unless the V12 is replaced with a V8. Then, instead of the V12 they move down to the V8 and the V8 moves down to the V6???

24. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Your generation meaning younger owners is what matters. After all you will be the future of Ferrari hopefully buying new models for the next 15-20 years.

FerrariBrent likes this.
  25. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    Stats I have from Ferrari say 812 is 4.6cm longer and 8mm narrower in the body, I don't have a mirror-to-mirror for the 812, but F8 is 2261mm.

FerrariBrent likes this.