Tuning the F1 System | FerrariChat

Tuning the F1 System

Discussion in '360/430' started by tstuli, Feb 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    I thought I would update others on something I've been playing with on the side.
    The F1 system hasn't been adjustable (to date) as far as I'm aware. I set out to see if there was anything that was possible. In short, I believe I now have a proof of concept that shows its possible to put custom logic on it. Additionally, it opens the door to add additional features such as more in-depth diagnostics.

The proof of concept involved how the hydraulic pressure is being regulated. Although not a practical change, it shows all the necessary pieces are now in place.

More details at Tuning the F1 System

Image Unavailable, Please Login

catdog likes this.
  2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Does f1 pressure vary w shift rpm and engine load? That might complicate things.

3. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    No, from all my observations its a very simple control keeping it within a fixed band. The pump is relatively slow so it wouldn't be able to react to fast changes.

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk

4. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    OK. Cool data.

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If i follow that correctly, that is just altering the cut in pressure ? More starting loads for the motor and relay/ more heat ?

epb0 and janmante like this.
  6. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    Yup. Note that the purpose of this wasn't to just change the pressure. Its a proof of concept to show that the system is understood and changes are feasible.

7. Gillis Haasnoot

Gillis Haasnoot Karting

Feb 4, 2020
    Leiden, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Gillis Haasnoot
    Awesome project. In a year from now I hope you will have an arduino replacement TCU available for all F1 cars :)
    There is a chinese car using the same F1 system. There must be a thread somewhere here. Sure that you can source cheap parts for your test setup.
    Also check sportsmaserati.com. There might be people there willing to support you.

8. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    Hi yes, i found from that thread Chery uses many of the same basic parts. There's some FIATs/Alfa that do too. Unfortunately none of these were sold in North America so finding and getting them is a bit trickier but definitely doable.

As for a Arduino, maybe :) something like that may become necessary in the distant future as spare parts dwindle. Theres a handful of custom ICs in this design and no documentation (to find replacement) for any of them.

tres55 likes this.
  9. Gillis Haasnoot

Gillis Haasnoot Karting

Feb 4, 2020
    Leiden, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Gillis Haasnoot
    It would be so nice if at some point manufacturers (or a gentle italian software developer) will release the source code of xCU components.
    Otherwise i see some difficult times coming for cars from the 90s and up. Cars before that time often don't have any proprietary ICs at all and have generally simple electronics. That won't be so easy for cars having complex PCB's. Design lifetime is about 20 years. .

10. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    Unfortunately I don't see them doing that/ever happening.

This technology is now beyond 25 years old (sort of hard to believe).

One problem is that Ferrari probably doesn't even own the design as its likely MM's.
    Even if they decided to make more, the next big problem is the no longer produced silicon. There you are trying to convince the original manufacturer of those parts as well to spin up production on them. Who knows if fabs capable of making them even exist anymore.

In short, it seems unlikely it will ever be practical for them or anyone to remanufacture a exact replacement. More likely a system that is functionally equivalent can be built as the orignals start to fail and become harder to find.

This all too is a relatively simple system compared to what's in more modern cars. Bit concerning to think what will eventually happen to those...

11. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    Scud Inc F1 relay uses custom algorithms to optimize shifts already?

12. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    I don't think it does. Its just a solid state relay with some monitoring functions. Your shifts will be no different with it vs the stock mechanical relay.

Apollo 11 and flash32 like this.
  13. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

as I understands it, you are making the minimum pressure for the whole system higher than OEM.
    Basically a sacrifice of various f1 component life in pursuit of a better shifting response ( such as 4 downshifts in succession)
    I am all for it.
    I'd think some able person can edit the existing tcu software with ease for that simple parameter change.

14. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    I too was VERY interested in obtaining the faster scud shifting speed but I inquired, and understand the actual mechanism, the mechanical parts are different too ! So, it is Not just a software issue it's hardware too !
    Apparently they had to use a whole different design valve actuator etc system etc !
    So, you might det what the physical limitations are first !

15. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    Hi. Note that this was just a proof of concept. I don't believe there's much overall value in simply increasing system pressure. It took a surprising amount of effort to simply change a simple parameter like this unfortunately.

16. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    The big difference with the system on the scuderia is they redesigned things such that the actuator engagement translation can happen in parallel with the selection. This allows you to go diagonally rather than a right angle motion when changing gears that require movement of the engagement actuator. This helps reduce the shift times. It also means as you say it is not possible to retrofit without significant mechanical changes.

janmante likes this.
  17. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Have you seen photos of the changes to the scud actuator? It’s really very basic- they just put a couple of chamfers on the edges so that the rocker can move diagonally as you said. The other parts cross reference with the standard 430.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

janmante likes this.
  18. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    Yup I have one sitting here :)

janmante and brogenville like this.
  19. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    yes thank you ! not sure I understand that.
    And i am given to understand it requires a LOT of parts ! EG completely different transmission,? switches ,even a wire harness, and a different ECU
    so is the stock one shifting as fast as it possibly can now ? ( without new hardware )

20. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    any illustrations available ?

we improved shifting on BMW 'S In fact way back in the day a selector assembly a friend modified, was seen by a factory tech on a service advisors desk and next year all the new BMW's incorporated his ideas ! LOL He basically knife-edged the ramps so it HAD to go in the next gear and it used a low friction ball bearing instead of a nylon roller and hard-chromed the shift fork shafts , ground them back to the original dia . . It was better !

Upon advice of a petroleum engineer friend , we changed our F430 gearbox lubricant to Royal purple brand and also use their PS fluid in the F-1 system ! it DOES seem to shift better ! and hopefully it is NOT just a placebo effect ! LOL

21. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    Could you possibly post some photos pls ? Thx Jan

22. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    so, could the scud part be fitted to the std, F430 ?