Any advice welcome on GTC4LUSSO lug nut case | FerrariChat

Any advice welcome on GTC4LUSSO lug nut case

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Nod Nanita, Feb 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nod Nanita

Nod Nanita Rookie

Mar 7, 2019
    Lake Oswego OR 97034 USA
    Full Name:
    Nod Nanita
    Hi,

My 2018 Ferrari GTC4LUSSO V12 had been in the service shop for a new front bumper replacement and also 4 black-out repainted wheels. Anyway I picked up the car on Thursday Feb 4, 2021 and drove back home luckily safe without knowing anything. However as of today afternoon Monday Feb 8, 2021 I just found out that 1 out of 5 lug nuts of the front left wheel was poking out (protruding out). So I tried to use my bare hands to unscrew the other 4 lug nuts. And yes, I can unscrewed the other 2 right away without moving the car. However I thought they might even forget to tighten all these 5 lug nuts for this wheel so I moved the car a little bit to check if the last 2 lug nuts would be able to unscrew with bare hands. And YES, 5 out of 5 lug nuts were unscrewed completely by bare hands. I was very mad and upset.

Please advise what I should execute? File a lawsuit against the Ferrari service shop? Any advice welcome. Perhaps the service shop should learn from their recklessness.

Thank you so much.
    Drive safely,
    Nod
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19633500GT likes this.
  2. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I mean you really don't have any damages, I would just send an email to the service advisor, tighten down the lugs yourself, and move on with your day.

technom3, 350MH83, Jaguar36 and 2 others like this.
  3. Nod Nanita

Nod Nanita Rookie

Mar 7, 2019
    Lake Oswego OR 97034 USA
    Full Name:
    Nod Nanita
    Hi vraa, thanks for your advice. I appreciate your input :)

vraa likes this.
  4. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Life is too short to be upset, get some ice cream and enjoy the rest of the evening :)

technom3 and 19633500GT like this.
  5. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If the wheel fell off while you were driving I would say you would have an excellent lawsuit. However, since nothing happened, what are your damages? Maybe if you talk to the General Manager you can get them to comp you for your "4 black-out repainted wheels". Other than that, just be thankful you caught it and nothing bad happened.

As an aside, I do find it incredible that some Ferrari dealers have such incompetent techs.

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  6. Nod Nanita

Nod Nanita Rookie

Mar 7, 2019
    Lake Oswego OR 97034 USA
    Full Name:
    Nod Nanita
    Hi Nospinzone, thanks for your thought. You and vraa made me calm down.

Nospinzone likes this.
  7. lawteam

lawteam Karting

May 15, 2009
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Full Name:
    Evan Fetterman
    Just be sure to check and see whether there was any damage to the mounting bolts and torque the lug bolts on each wheel. I had the same issue on my 599 after a paint correction and detail. Fortunately, I realized the problem before there was any damage. I would definitely advise the service manager. you may save someone else's car or life.

8. Nod Nanita

Nod Nanita Rookie

Mar 7, 2019
    Lake Oswego OR 97034 USA
    Full Name:
    Nod Nanita
    Hi lawteam, thank you so much. I will definitely check the mounting bolts and also advise the manager.

9. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Forgetaboutit. :)

10. Nod Nanita

Nod Nanita Rookie

Mar 7, 2019
    Lake Oswego OR 97034 USA
    Full Name:
    Nod Nanita
    Hi G. pepper, thanks anyway. That is what I am trying to right now. Maybe I have to park the car somewhere else so I can forget it.
    ^_^*

11. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I'd just get my torque wrench out, tighten the lugs, and go for a DRIVE. :D

technom3 likes this.
  12. Nod Nanita

Nod Nanita Rookie

Mar 7, 2019
    Lake Oswego OR 97034 USA
    Full Name:
    Nod Nanita
    :D

G. Pepper likes this.
  13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Glad you caught that safely, I always check anyone working on my wheels although it's far more common to find them hammered on too tightly than forgotten to tighten at all.

I go over them as I was taught, jumping side to side across the 5 bolts until all are tight.

The whole Ferrari system of bolts rather than studs and nuts is harder to tighten properly, really...
    Welcome to the chat

14. Nod Nanita

Nod Nanita Rookie

Mar 7, 2019
    Lake Oswego OR 97034 USA
    Full Name:
    Nod Nanita
    Hi BigTex, thanks for your thoughts. I totally agree with usually happened to be too tight more than too loose. And I have checked throughly all the bolts and made sure they all are 110Nm (~81 ft-lb). By the way even the weather here is freezing but I feel warm in this Ferrari Chat community.

15. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Sadly, amen.

16. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    No damages no lawsuit. But it seems you are over that original thought.

Just give them a heads up because someone needs to break a bad habit at the dealer ...

The other thing I will say is...

On freshly powder coated wheels and on chrome wheels. When you reinstall them you need to heat cycle them and then check the lugs. I have seen the lugs loosen on several cars after a short drive.

G. Pepper likes this.
  17. Nod Nanita

Nod Nanita Rookie

Mar 7, 2019
    Lake Oswego OR 97034 USA
    Full Name:
    Nod Nanita
    Thank you technom3. All the lugs have been checked after a few drives. Cheers.

technom3 likes this.
  18. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Indeed. A fellow FChatter threw a wheel bolt from his newly refinished challenge car wheels at a track day a few years ago. Took the time to pull all four wheels, lightly sand the wheel sockets, reinstall and do a few install laps. No further issues.