Best polish for 512tr rosso | FerrariChat

Best polish for 512tr rosso

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by flash32, Feb 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Hello fellow chatters

This question has not been asked in a while so I figured I would ..

What would be a good solution to remove very light swirls or scratches on a rosso corso 300 single stage paint

Please let me any professional tips on a full light correction

Thanks

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    to do it right i wldnt use a one for 2 product. id find the least abrasive product and go from there. some combo of clay, zymol hd clense, 3m imperial hand glaze wld be my solution but i wld let a pro do it.

Solid State, flash32 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  3. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    You should always do a test spot in order to understand if you are getting the correction you need/want with the pad/polish combination you are using. If you aren't getting what you want, then you may need to try different pads, polish, pressure, etc.

With that being said, Sonax Perfect finish with a yellow Rupes pad and a Rupes DA polisher may be all you need. It will take out light swirls and leave a really good gloss. Again, I am simply making a guess given you are stating that it is "light swirls". It depends on the amount of correction you are actually seeking, the actual condition of the paint (i.e. swirls/scratches) and most importantly - how much paint are you working with. If it has had a correction done prior and depending on how aggressive someone was, you may not be able to get as much correction needed without risk of going through the paint.

020147 and flash32 like this.
  4. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    I would suggest letting an experienced detailer handle this. There are lots of sharp edges and the paint is going to be pretty thin. When done right they clean up beautifully but it’s not an easy car to polish and these are mentally exhausting to detail lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Jay

What would be the least aggressive polish / compound that you would use.. safe yet remove fine swirls /scratches.

I was looking at #80 maybe by hand ..

Thoughts

6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    The product matters less than the skill applied

reedferrari and msdesignltd like this.
  8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Even though it says discontinued on that website it looks like Amazon still has it .. i can't find anywhere if it has cutting power or just a filler .. hard to read between the lines

I realize the easiest and maybe best thing is to find a good detailer (like you have) and let him do it ( and it may very well be) but the point of this post is to get information on the various products owners and detail professionals have found to be good for this application

Thank you for your input ..i have it on my list and have researching it as well. I know you have had it used on your single stage ferraris and are happy .. that's what I am looking for

Thanks ..btw ..do you attend any of the IC&C events in staten island

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I dont get to those.
    Meguires makes good products too. I think the take away is try some of these before you try a full compound.

flash32 likes this.
  10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  11. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Look on Autogeek, they have some good instruction and all types of products for paint correction using orbital polishers. I have had good outcomes with both the Griots Garage and the Pinnacle products. Tape off all edges/creases in the car body, and use the mildest polish possible to start.

I have some Griots hand polish that does remove swirls, and is useful around door handles, trunk edges and smaller surface areas where only doing by hand makes sense.

The key is a correct foam pad and polish, there are aggressive pads that can burn through paint even with the mildest polish. Even a polish that does not remove the swirls will still improve the outcome, and creates a better base for the wax finish.

I think the 512TR has a single pack paint that is fairly soft. Clearcoats and modern finishes are typically quite a bit harder.

flash32 likes this.
  12. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    Sorry I missed this and we have had some crazy times in Houston this last week haha.

By hand you aren’t going to get the results you are looking for unfortunately. You can use some products that have been mentioned here since they have some fillers and will hide the imperfections for a while. You will not be removing but it will give you a better visual. I haven’t tried #80 from Megs but any glazes or cleansers will have fillers to make it look better without getting aggressive and risking damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flash32 likes this.
  13. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I used Pinnacle Swirl Remover with the least abrasive Lakes pad on an orbital buffer, and used the Griots Hand Polish on the smaller areas. Finished with a Mothers Glaze, and then Wow Contact 121 wax, and the results are spectacular.

32 year old original paint on my 1988 Mondial Cab, looks pretty much like new.

Still some deeper scratches if one looks real close, but more abrasion to the paint to remove would seem counterproductive.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

colorfull, 2cam and flash32 like this.