Shaky taillight fix | FerrariChat

Shaky taillight fix

Discussion in '360/430' started by Sky Hye, Apr 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    Finally after months of work, I’ve perfected the shaky tail lamp fix. My inner left tail lamp studs were completely severed and two more lamps had cracked studs. I looked around and the kit available was a bit much for me and didn’t fix the broken stud problem I was having. Results are great and going a few months strong without any wobble or cracks. I have a patent pending so China won’t rip me off hehe.

If there’s interest I’ve been getting requests for kits and would be willing to sell some

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ShineKen likes this.
  2. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thats pretty nifty.

i super glued mine, then wrapped them very carefully with red duct tape pieces, then reattached it putting a rubber bushing in between to absorb the vibrations.

i have done this to two taillamps so far. all still good.

btw, can you imagine what a bad design this is??

3. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    As an automotive engineer it’s embarrassing. Especially knowing it’s been an issue on all years! Wonder if 360 or 458 has this issue too.

Great fix. Looks like you did a good job too.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    had similar issue on one of the taillights on my 360 a few years ago, JBWeld helped.

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    i Just cut the plastic post back and drilled it for m6 stud bar. Still going strong after 3 years. There are some pics on here somewhere

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If you can make the single post solid then the other two seem to be ok. I cut the post back, drilled and tapped 6 mm and loctited the stud bar into it, then the first nut is set in its final position and loctited in place, the 2nd nut acts as normal
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Do not conduct business on this thread. Posts moved.

8. Daron

Daron Rookie

Mar 18, 2018
    California
    Full Name:
    Daron
  9. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    janmante and Gillis Haasnoot like this.
  10. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    So did BMW lol

11. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    I have found that the bottom screw post for the brake light piece fails too. Anyone have a support for those?

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Just look at the pics of my fix above, only takes 10 mins to do if you have the gear. You dont need a support this way

13. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    So mine (F430), at least as far as I know, are intact, they don't move. I'd like to prevent an issue and was considering the kit referenced by Sky Hye at the top of this thread

Any other prevention recommendations?

Thank you!

14. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    Sky Hye's kit has the rubber grommets. If you were to install just the rubber grommets prior to any failure, that would definitely help in dampening the vibration which seems to be the cause of the failures.

colorfull likes this.
  15. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    The brake bulb screw post on the bottom. The plastic degrades so much that there is barely anything left.

16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Not sure which bit you mean, is that the single post to attach light to the car or where the phillips head screw , screws in.

17. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
  18. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    Yea, buy my kit! Haha

colorfull likes this.
  19. Gillis Haasnoot

Gillis Haasnoot Karting

Feb 4, 2020
    Leiden, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Gillis Haasnoot
    If someone has a cad file of the lamp unit I can create some brackets and share the STL files or send them via post. Creating some brackets is quite easy once I know the surface dimensions of the lamp

janmante likes this.
  20. SingleClutch

SingleClutch Karting

Apr 19, 2019
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kris
    I just replaced all my bulbs with LEDs last night, and I had one lens post completely broken off and on two of the lenses the plastic had broken where the bulb cluster screws into the housing. I was able to epoxy everything for now, but I ordered new replacement lenses from Scud Ing (scuding.com). Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Fly fast and take chances

Sj_engr likes this.
  21. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    I installed the Scud Ing Swiss taillights but used Sky Hye’s reinforcement kit as it appeared they could suffer later on from the same issues the stock lights have.

SingleClutch and janmante like this.
  22. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    Nice ! are they available ? are you sharing the file ? have you done some reinforcement for the other brake light post that fails ? thx Jan

23. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If this is broken, how much is left and can you drill and tap a thread into it. If so then do so and epoxy in a length of stainless stud bar, then use a nylock to secure the bulb

24. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    A few mm. What I did was try and epoxy a small metric nut into the place after cleaning up the surface with a dremel. If I did it again I would use a nylon nut and scuff it up with sandpaper. On one of the two tail lights that needed this work the steel nut spun out of the epoxy when tightening.

25. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Look on Amazon for AVK inserts- they are a steel sleeve with threads inside. They are normally fitted to recover a thread and fitted similar to pop rivits. But you can drill out a hole and apoxy them in place

janmante likes this.