355 - CA smog how to | Page 3 | FerrariChat

355 CA smog how to

Discussion in '348/355' started by mcomet, Jan 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    If your numbers are bad, and your cats are good, no matter what brand, the problem probably isn't the cats. 20 year old injectors (sitting unused is as bad as overuse), bad vacuum hoses, bad fuel pressure regulators, and bad mafs are not uncommon reasons for bad numbers. Just my experience with many many cars. Stock cats and headers make up for a lot of other poorly performing items.

2. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    This statement was not true in my experience from 2000 to 2015 or16
    Now it may be as I have not smogged since.
    Maybe someone else can chime in on existing as well to see if something has changed
    I guess someone all ready said many shops use pictures now.

3. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil

Agree.

Auto manufacturers are required by US Federal Law to have parts available for any models they sold for a period of 10 years after the model goes out of production. The last F355 sold was in 1999 or 2000, so Ferrari's spare part commitment ran out around 2010. So unless CA is compelling auto manufacturers to keep producing parts in perpetuity, equitably performing substitute parts are acceptable.

taz355 likes this.
  4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I don't think that is the law. The law says you have to have to original factory parts, if not new from the dealer, then used parts from several sources approved by the state (they will give you a list), and if that is not available then you don't have to have them but only after the referee has inspected your car (likely for the third time) and grant you a pass. You may have to go through that process every two years.

5. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I think the law can be interpreted in a couple different ways, the 2 statements pertaining to this discussion are bolded, the way I read it if an aftermarket cat is approved by carb (like Magnaflows - no affiliation), you can fit it to your 355 and pass the visual inspection:

In general, state and federal law prohibit modifications to your vehicle's emission control system. When repairing your vehicle, the emission-related parts used must be original equipment manufacturer (OEM) parts or be replacements for the OEM parts, as specified by the part manufacturer.

Modifications to your emissions controls are not acceptable unless the parts used are approved by ARB. ARB grants approvals in cases where the changes or aftermarket parts do not modify the performance of the emission controls in a way that increases emissions. ARB assigns the approved parts an "executive order" (EO) number that may be used to verify acceptability. ARB provides a listing of EO exempted parts on their Web site at www.arb.ca.gov.
    What's interesting to me is New York is one of 16 or so states modeled after California's law, and I've never seen any station in NYC perform a visual inspection.

6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    My experience with California, isif it passes, which it always did, that was there main concern and nothing else was really looked at.
    Some are saying different.
    It passed easily when running correctly even with tubi headers, a capristo exhaust, and hyperflow cats and a different intake.
    There was no way someone would not have noticed by looking.
    Did they notice?/ all I know is they did not say anything when it passed easily. At that time I guess there was still some common sense.

7. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    When I lived in Cali here is how I got my 348 to pass smog.

1) Have all stock exhaust parts on car. Headers, catalytic converters (that are in good shape), muffler.
    2) Make sure the engine is COMPLETELY up to FULL operating temperature.
    2a) The ECU will only get into final fuel mapping once the engine is operating a full temp. Otherwise is stays in secondary fuel enrichment.
    2b) When the car is at full operating temp the cats are good and HOT. They can fully do their job at burning off excess fuel in the exhaust flow.

I have NOT done this next one personally but,
    I have heard of people running a few gallons of E85 for the test. Then once they pass the sniffer test, fill up the tank with normal gas.

8. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    In 1982 I went to UTI Trade School and then got certified as a California Smog Tech. I went that route to pay my own way through college and to get a BS in Business Administration.

Anyway, decades later I don’t think Cali Law has changed much. If you fail the visual test you automatically fail, regardless of the tailpipe test. Which currently on a 355 is done on the dyno at 35 mph.

Anyway, back in the day we were scared shizless, and swore every car was a BAR car set as a trap.

The only acceptable replacement Cats, headers, etc must all have a CARB Certification. That certification is very costly for the manufacturer to obtain, and most of the time not cost effective for them, as they would never break even.

9. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    When they tested my car if I am remembering correct they did an idle test, and 2 more rolling and I thought it was about 10mph and 35 but it could have been 35 and 55 can’t remember.
    I am sure it’s still the same now so maybe someone can clarify

10. Stadzy61

Stadzy61 Rookie

Aug 15, 2020
    USA
    Full Name:
    Matt O
    A brief update for the group: I originally had new fabspeed cats when car came to me. Those failed and threw codes a few times within 90-days of ownership despite fabspeed extenders. Also failed smog emissions part 2x despite being nice and hot before code thrown. Installed factory cats and exhaust. Passed no problem. It’s been a mission. Now need to put back as the car just doesn’t sound as glorious as it did prior. Opportunity for install of Capristo Sound 3.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ernie likes this.