Ferrari 599 GTB, Undervalued or what? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 599 GTB, Undervalued or what?

Discussion in '612/599' started by clivatr0n, Feb 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    V12 + Pininfarina: what are you waiting for? I don't think they feel that big and I don't think it's difficult to check the oil level, never added an oil additive to mine, just Shell 10W60 in between oil changes. They don't like to sit and you must keep battery maintainer on them, a wonderfully rewarding Ferrari GT.

2. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

I have owned my 2009 GTB since 2015. Turned 10,000 miles on a lovely autumn Adirondacks drive before I parked it for the winter.

I never use the radio.

It is a unique car. Scary fast and crazy cool design, always gets your attention.

Probably will never sell it.

Every summer the Check Engine light comes on for some silly reason and won't go away until they fix it with annual Spring service.

Just an amazing fun toy. I feel blessed to own one.

I prefer the non HGTE, but as stated above, that is subjective.

Pairs nicely with a mid engine V-8 Ferrari. (488 Spider for me)

Go for it. :)

Immo, AhmetUz, Mighty Joe and 5 others like this.
  3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Contrary to Ferrari absolutes... I listen to the radio all the time. The engine / exhaust note is great, but in reality the driving I do is mostly city - and some highway... so I'm not running at redline all the time... so I like some music as well. When my car idles ( in Slippery drive mode, which is what I normally keep it in.) you can barely hear or feel the engine. its almost silent and kinda weird .... have to remind my self its on! occasionally I forget to put it in gear and Wammm... reves fly up like crazy! I always drive mine in F-1 paddle mode... almost never in auto. I had a new clutch put on the car when I bought it, and just had the annual service - shows 23% worn.... not sure if that is a lot or little. over about 7k miles mostly city driving.

Immo and Boomhauer like this.
  4. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Nothing wrong with hearing good music when driving a round or a longer trip.
    For me, it's very important to hear my all time favorites when driving the V12s.

Even though I have the most beautiful music from the Italian composer called Fabio.

And to the 599 GTB.
    A wonderful car, pure art in technical and visual sight.

Daniel

5. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I'm always amazed at how bad the car drives in Auto. I also always drive in F1. I always feel the transmission is two gears ahead of where I want the engine to be in Auto.

6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    yes I agree. it's 1st to 2nd shift in auto is not great.mi prefer to change gear my self any way.

George Vosburgh likes this.
  7. Justin Hughes

Justin Hughes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2020
    Oxfordshire - UK
    Full Name:
    Hughesie
    Totally agree, and I've now got a decent Sat Nag as well :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    When I reminisce about my 612, the one really sweet spot for that car is you could tach it out and get in ONE good shift before blowing so far past the speed limit it wasn't comfortable. That car was way slow compared to the 599 and just having a few seconds of fun puts you past 80mph.

Skidkid likes this.
  9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I was following a bunch of slow cars on a two lane road about 2 months ago, came up to a mile + long straight... and down shifted from 6 to 5 and nailed it... in the blink of an eye... went from 50 mph to triple digits ... so much so that it startled me.....

Ian Daviau, Texas Forever and Piper like this.
  10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    So you stayed in a high gear. Anything below about 100 is 3rd gear territory. Then again, the power delivery there is HUGE and it can get loose really easily. But yes it is a lot of fun.

11. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, that would have been triple down shift territory, not that I'd have the balls to do it honestly. I'm not that great a driver and the thought of breaking loose at 100 is terrifying.

12. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Tom,
    That's such low mileage (~7,000 miles) to need replacement of your 599's clutch even for mostly city driving!

I can definitely explain why you had that problem - When I took my 599 HGTE for its first annual service and I inquired about clutch life, my Ferrari Service Manager strongly advised me never to set the manettino down to the slippery/wet mode. He urged me to just preferably keep it in Sport even during wet conditions but just temper and modulate my speed or throttle input.

From his many experiences of owners of Ferraris with F1 transmissions who've all suffered from premature clutch wear, they constantly drove in the slippery/wet mode.

He explained that Ferrari's chassis engineers have allowed or designed the clutch to slip a bit either in Reverse and in slippery/wet modes. That's apparently their way of enhancing safety = in either setting, the power delivery will not be instantaneous to prevent any sudden jerky tire rotation that could trigger the car's ASR (Anti-Skid) when backing up to park or in wet/snowy conditions.

So hopefully, that will help you and others from suffering premature clutch wear which is expensive to replace at around $7,000 or more.

Texas Forever likes this.
  13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If you are scared enough to put it in low traction mode, time to get off the road because it is really slippery.

14. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    yea, I just wanted to get around one car - who was going super slow .. ended up passing 3 the acceleration was ferocious.... in 5th! once it gets over 4K... shocking I had the first shift light come on .. I'm not going to say the speed but it was way faster than I thought. brakes work amazing as well especially when they are warm. to paraphrase Napoleon ... the 599 is only one shift from the sublime to the ridiculous!

Skidkid likes this.
  15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Hmm very interesting thanks! In Atlanta the slippery wet mode also gives a softer ride - our roads are so awful which is the primary reason I keep it in that mode... but sport mode it is! I don't know if it's me but in sport mode - the car sounds a bit louder ... so like that. I've had the car on the track in race mode... cant really tell much difference maybe shifts are a bit faster? All I know is at Road Atlanta going into 10a - just before you head downhill, I was at 142mph... i do a 5 sec count to hit the brakes... and I really squeezed the brakes hard, and it was like bam - down to 60 mph in nothing ... I'm not sure the entry speed to turn 1 but I know it was in the 90's... at that point I'm just going on peripheral vision.... it was surprising the amount of roll in the car ... not bad but noticeable in slower turns

Texas Forever likes this.
  16. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    that is like taking your pet tiger for a walk in the neighborhood... what could possibly go wrong?

Clembo likes this.
  17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Tom- Slippery mode slows down shifts, changes the criteria for the exhaust bypass valves to open, and softens the shock absorber reactions. Sounds like what you need is a Schumacher switch like those in later Ferraris. It allows you to use any manettino mode but keeps the shocks in their softest setting.

18. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    you can tell the ride difference between sport and soft... not so much shift time... 1-2 has always been harsh... all the rest are great almost instant. in Atlanta all you need is more power and less control with the streets we have... there is a pot hole close to us that is so deep ... I stuck a yard stick in there and it went to the 3.5Ft mark! sent it to the mayors office... its still there. To miss it you have to completely go in the opposite lane.

19. Mr. Uy

Mr. Uy Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2020
    Fort Worth, TX
    Full Name:
    Charlie U
    So does anyone think we’ve reached bottom dollar for these? Thoughts on how long it will hold?

mrp_e likes this.
  20. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I think they are pretty much bottomed in price. They may have another 10K or so down, assuming you exclude poorly maintained cars. These are pretty rare cars and they are truly amazing to drive. Maintenance isn't cheap but it isn't out of control either making, them a great car to own and drive.

mrp_e likes this.
  21. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I watched a few go for $80 to <100k, but haven't seen any of them for awhile, I'll keep watching though...seems the cheapest you'll find one is $110k or so.

mrp_e likes this.
  22. Mr. Uy

Mr. Uy Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2020
    Fort Worth, TX
    Full Name:
    Charlie U
    Yes thank you! I finally convinced my wife, and we agreed to Christmas 2022. Holding out that I don’t end up in a price chase

mrp_e likes this.
  23. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Yep just got my ‘07 with 16k mikes for 104k usd out the door. Asking price was 114. PPI revealed leaky shocks and few little annoyances from sitting for a year, and I have to go trolling on eBay for the extras (books, mats, covers), but otherwise she’s mint. Hurry before everyone starts snapping them up and upgrading to manual trans.

24. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    I”m feeling like I bought at the right moment. Early 2007, 2 owners, low miles. Paid $114 at a time when other cars were going for $125-$150. Time will tell...in the meantime, I’m going to put a $hiltLOAD of miles on this car. :)

Jim

Attached Files:

Immo, mrp_e, 635CSI and 2 others like this.
  25. Mr. Uy

Mr. Uy Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2020
    Fort Worth, TX
    Full Name:
    Charlie U
    How many miles you up to Jim? How many when you got it?