Grease Ball Joints? Or Chain Lube? | FerrariChat

Grease Ball Joints? Or Chain Lube?

Discussion in '360/430' started by jag-oo-r, Feb 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    All:
    I've been hoping for another thread (https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/suspension-creaks.551695/page-2#post-147721087) to produce results, but the question I've been posing there seems to be overlooked in favor of the bulk of the thread, so I'm posting here.

I've just replaced ball joints (Upper and Lower) on my F430, using the HE items. I intended to grease them with Redline CV2 grease, but the linked thread suggests Chain Lube is better. I'm struggling with that idea, as chain lube seems inadequate to the task, in my own limited experience. It appears the OEM joints I removed weren't lubed with Anything?

Can I get any sort of definitive response, or at least a consensus?
    thanks in advance.

2. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    I spent a good bit of time searching myself and tried chained wax it okay better than nothing at all.
    Ended up using Prothane super grease great stuff .. Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The good thing about synthetic chain lub is that it resists fresh and salted water from the winter road gritting. If it protects a fireblade chain in the winter it has to be good.
    It resists water so it does not wash off, unlike grease.
    Also it is very fluid when it sprays out of the container so it will run around the ball joint, grease does not. You need to spray it and allow it to dry, then spray it more times to build up a covering.
    A lot of greases are Lithium based and these react with salt in water to become rock hard- it might not be applicable for you.

4. marc996

marc996 Karting

May 12, 2019
    Full Name:
    marc bethell
    This is a really interesting question, have you asked H.E, I assume they would know the definitive answer?

5. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Prothane is nice and sticky. It should repel water very well and used on poly sway bar bushings. Those are often splashed. I would recommend it on a clean part but would just trap dirt if applied to used parts.

Is there some special snow mobile chain lube? All bike chain lube I have used gets gummed up eventually.

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The chain lub idea came from me when i had to change my oem for hill engineering units. The chain lub will run past the nylon seals, where as the grease will not. As the ball joints have rubber seals this will keep the dirt out.
    If you are careful you can push the thin plastic tube down the side of the ball joint rubber seal and give it a good top up squirt every few years.

7. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Replaced front and rear upper and lower control arms with new forged factory 430 Challenge.
    From X 430 Challenge race teams all where lubed with Profane Super Grease flamblocks and ball joints .
    At first thought chain wax would be great lubebrcuant maybe ?
    Maybe Challenge teams just might know what is best lubebrcuant ?
    Safe bet for me was there choice not mine..

8. Dougster

Dougster Karting

Feb 28, 2013
    Dallas TX Area
    I recall using a silicon based grease on mine - still not making any noise after probably around 5 years.

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I think once the rubber seals split you are on a hiding to nothing anyway. No idea what profane grease is anyway- as long as it does not go hard if exposed to water you are fine