Shaky taillight fix | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Shaky taillight fix

Discussion in '360/430' started by Sky Hye, Apr 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    The AVK insert is precisely what lived in the plastic before the "sleeve" around it cracks/crumbles. In my case there was really not enough plastic left to do anything and I stacked a nut on top after flattening the remaining plastic. I do agree a replacement insert would be ideal with extra epoxy.

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Is it possible to drill straight through and epoxy a bolt through from the back ?

3. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    #28 Sj_engr, Feb 11, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    Yeah that should work. Good idea, then could cover the protruding bolt (or AVK insert) shaft with epoxy. I should of done that.

janmante likes this.
  4. Daron

Daron Rookie

Mar 18, 2018
    California
    Full Name:
    Daron
    That’s a very good idea. Simple as well!!

janmante likes this.
  5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Read that as cheap fix , to keep mine running cheap fixes are a must. I see people spending big money on carbon bits etc, i wish. A box of assorted nuts and bolts is like xmas has come around to me.

janmante likes this.
  6. Daron

Daron Rookie

Mar 18, 2018
    California
    Full Name:
    Daron
    I agree. I come from a long line of practical engineers. We can fix anything... If you have to purchase a new one, then where’s the challenge in that!! Keep up the ideas. I’ve made so many parts for my cars and specially trucks over the years that I have come to learn I enjoy working on them more than driving them.

7. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    You are not the typical Ferrari owner doing your own work and not installing the magic yellow box OEM Ferrari parts. Grotesque crude epoxy repairs and such. How could you ruin the car like that?

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I am the same ,
    Because after 42 years as a turbine and diesel engineer i can fix most things with my lathe and mill. I have machined a few unobtainable bits for people on here and they are happy with the fix. If u want to have a collection to help me avoid hard times you are welcome.
    I fixed my tail lights with epoxy over 4 years ago and still going strong.- i like value for money.

janmante likes this.
  9. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    SingleClutch likes this.
  10. Daron

Daron Rookie

Mar 18, 2018
    California
    Full Name:
    Daron
    Because it’s just a car and I canI drive it and enjoy it just like the Ferrari’s, Mercedes, Porches and Lambo’s I’ve had in the past. Besides it’s far from the most expensive toy I have. I guess if it was the one and only toy I could have, maybe I would feel different.

11. Daron

Daron Rookie

Mar 18, 2018
    California
    Full Name:
    Daron
    If it pops loose again you may want to add a spacer between the new nut and the bulb base. The space looks like it’s creating torque that might be lifting the nut while you are tightening the screw.
    Let me know how it goes!!
    D

12. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    I was joking about the epoxy on your car and fixing it yourself. That would be terrible to some.

13. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk