430 - Question for those with two sport cars | FerrariChat

430 Question for those with two sport cars

Discussion in '360/430' started by Dennis_said, Feb 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dennis_said

Dennis_said Rookie

Jan 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dennis Nguyenkhoa
    Hey guys just curious if anybody here has long term owned two sports cars.

I have a 997.2 c2s and close to completing a 2006 F430 purchase. I plan on keeping both cars to see how things play out and if I can balance the enjoyment of owning both without them overlapping.

Want to see what experience others have had owning two sports cars and how they’ve balanced them.

Please share! Thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    I do. The answer is I don't balance them well. One gets driven a tonne, the other just sits there and barely gets used anymore. I'm likely selling it in the spring :)

ryalex and Danedingerson like this.
  3. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    There is no balance, my Porsche is for normal trips. My 430 is for special occasions.

armedferret likes this.
  4. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    My two are very different. My 2007 430 weighs over 3000 pounds. My 2005 Lotus Elise weighs 1900. They drive very differently with no power steering needed on the Lotus, the feedback in turns is perfect. Other drivers at SPCA notice that right away when they try it. The low inertia is obvious in high speed turns as well. The Toyota driveline has cost little to maintain and nothing to repair in six years. New tires were $1K. smaller sizes provide equal grip with the reduced weight.

Hazim, Manda racing, ditpixs and 2 others like this.
  5. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Ideally they should be different enough so that their uses do not really overlap - they could be "objectively" different or different in your mind, it does not matter.
    If they are two close (again, from your perception) you will end up prefering / using mostly one.
    My 488 is used for tours involving some track, my 550 for touring only and my Caterham for racing (it's road legal but at my advanced age it's not really convenient on the road ;)).

6. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Unless the 997 is a convertible I would see you selling it.

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I can just about to afford to run one plus an old toyota- anyone got next weeks winning lottery numbers

Manda racing likes this.
  8. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I wouldn't think so, they are very different cars. If they were similar cars, then different story. I had a midnight blue 996 C2 and my midnight blue 996 GT3 at the same time... in that case one had to go... Thought one would be my daily and one my weekend... too similar

Before anyone asks, it was my blue period and I also had a metallic blue Audi avant wagon at the same time till I bought a black Cayenne...

Dennis_said likes this.
  9. Blackfspider

Blackfspider Rookie

Dec 6, 2019
    Malaysia
    Full Name:
    D
    • I currently have the same combo as the OP. F430 definitely more fun, but less versatile. I wouldn’t hesitate taking the .2 C2S most places....with the F430 got to consider pitch of driveway (if visiting friends), parking conditions etc. also wife won’t drive the F430.....

• So they coexist in harmony

Manda racing, VAF84 and cole328 like this.
  10. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    My 360 is for Spring/Summer/Fall weekends and only if its sunny and no prediction for rain
    In the Spring/Summer/Fall the Porsche is for weekdays even if rain is expected
    So they are both exercised.

11. DiabloTerr

DiabloTerr Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
    I collect cologne so I see the utility of variety. Sometimes I wear something loud like Aventus that commands a room while other times I will apply a more low key scent like Killian. Like cologne, it’s nice to sometimes have a car that can fly under the radar like a Porsche vs a car that has such a dominate experience like a Ferrari.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    For us watch people, when you want to be under the radar you wear a steel Rolex and on days you want something special out comes the Jaeger or Patek or Richard Mille.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Vegas CS, DiabloTerr and Dennis_said like this.
  13. Sunbeam430

Sunbeam430 Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    Essex U.K.
    Full Name:
    Kurt William baur
    Hi. I have a good balance of cars but since the F430 arrived my 996 C4S doesn’t get a lot of road time but it does look great from the arse end. Looking to replace it with a 991 GT3. Have an RSQ3 ABT for those fun family trips. Have a few classics for the summer and a load of bikes so will be interested whether the GT3 gets a bit more use than it’s predecessor

14. LHBMC

LHBMC Karting

Nov 16, 2011
    Hello,
    I have a 2006 F430, a 1957 Austin Healey 100/6 and a 1979 Honda CBX motorcycle.
    The Healey and the Honda are very special to me as I restored them both.
    The Ferrari is probably a result of my love for F1.
    All are used only on fair weather days.
    It is nice to be able to select from the three depending on my mood.
    The Healey is obviously a very different driving experience from the other two.
    Take care.
    Regards,
    Les

15. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    We have a 997.2S and a California. Owned P- and F-car for close to 7 & 5 years, respectively. We've put about 50 K and 25 K miles roughly on them. Long story, short, they're different enough that we enjoy them both, and we find or make time to drive both. It's helps that our driving season lasts almost all year. I'd give it a year or so, assuming there is no financial or space limitation reason to sell one. If you find you're not driving one, sell it.

Congrats on the new F-car...T

16. NY-3PEDAL360

NY-3PEDAL360 Karting

Jul 19, 2020
    My 996 TT is for the winter and my 360 spider is for the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

I have a small collection and rotate through them all so they all stay exercised and enjoyed when I don’t use them or enjoy them I move on. One good thing is it keeps the miles fairly low on all of them even though I get to enjoy a cool car everyday should I want to. I am lucky. My advice would be to see how it goes and sell one if you find it no longer suits you. They all have personalities and some cars although highly rated by reviewers I have found were just not for me long term. I am getting close to all keepers however. Cheers and enjoy your new to you 430 they are a kick!

tomc likes this.
  18. jdlegg

jdlegg Karting

Dec 22, 2009
    Bryan
    Full Name:
    James D
    A few years back I had two sports cars - 360 6-speed and AMG GTS Edition1. I drove the GTS as a daily and rarely drove the 360. I've since parted with both of them in favor of E63S and 488. Technically the AMG isn't a sports car, but it's fast as hell while offering a back massage. :)

Mighty Joe and Manda racing like this.
  19. pnd4pnd

pnd4pnd Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2021
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric Thune
    Having just picked up my first ferrari (458 coupe), my other fun car is a 68 camaro convertible restomod. I'm afraid I'll never drive the camaro again!

20. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    430 spider 3-pedal for backroad fun. FF as daily driver. 430 is definitely sportier but NA V-12 in FF pulls like crazy

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Manda racing likes this.
  21. Dennis_said

Dennis_said Rookie

Jan 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dennis Nguyenkhoa
    Sometimes I wonder what I’m getting myself into with covid and wfh. Gotta find ways to get out and drive

22. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    i take the scud when the road is good (no bumps due to scraping), not too long of a drive (it beats u up) and u just want to enjoy hardcore driving. The 458 when u want a nice drive that involves going into town (better in traffic), or the wife is driving. I take the r8 and porsches when the weather conditions are not good (all wheel drive) or on long road trips coz i know they wont ever break down and miles are cheaper to run

23. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Have you come across watches made by Roger Smith, he was apprentice to George Daniels.

24. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    I am almost in the exact same spot. Daily a '19 E63s, and weekend (extra fun) car is a 2007 F430 spider. LOVE the AMG for the daily commute, and as you say, drives like its on rails and that torque....geez! however, I get into the 430 on a saturday, drop the top, and its a totally different experience of course. I cannot imagine not having both and I feel quite lucky.

Way2fast and jdlegg like this.
  25. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I've owned two for the past year (Lamborghini Diablo Roadster & Ford GT). It's been a very positive experience. One is a convertible, and one is a coupe which helps the decision of which to choose. One is NA, the other supercharged. Both are manuals, but one is gated and one isn't. Finally, while the Diablo can be enjoyed on a relaxing cruise the FGT is all go all the time.

So what I'm saying is they will be more compatible is they have alot of differences.

halr75 likes this.