430 Heater stopped working, any ideas? | FerrariChat

430 Heater stopped working, any ideas?

Discussion in '360/430' started by MacC, Mar 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MacC

MacC Rookie

May 31, 2015
    Signal Mountain, TN
    Full Name:
    Mac Cessna
    My 2006 F430 heater has decided to stop heating? Any ideas on the cause?

2. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    Are you sure the button is not pushed in?

bball16 likes this.
  3. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    My controls on the 612 confuse me sometimes, maybe you have the whole system off or don't have the fan on? Curious to know if you have a problem or not, I just picked up an '08.
    On the other hand it's cool to know you have it out this time of the year to notice this issue.

4. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Was any work done on the cooling system recently? If so, there might be air pockets in the heater core.

5. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    I know this sounds completely silly, but try switching off the battery cutoff switch for just over a minute. Switch back the battery cut off switch so the car has power. Put the key in and start the ignition but don't hit the start button for 2 minutes. Your clock and radio code will need to be reset.

Strange as it sounds, this solves the issue in many cases.

6. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Do a reset.

7. Aeroman

Aeroman Karting

Nov 8, 2013
    DFW Texas
    Here is the reset procedure. Thanks to Dan (whatheheck) for creating. I saved this a long time ago thinking I might need it someday.

Attached Files:

8. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    I am not sure that this was the way that it was intended but I find the heater doesn't work without the climate control on/off button being in the "on" position.
    I heard that this doesn't have to be, but since I have owned my 430 that is the way that it is.

9. unreelviper

unreelviper Karting

Jan 9, 2014
    DMV
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Check your anti-freeze to make sure that you have an adequate amount in the system.

whatheheck likes this.
  10. ty423

ty423 Karting

Jun 9, 2015
    Socal OC
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Happened to me once...did battery reset and it fixed it

11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Mine was playing up at 1 time, turns out i needed to switch the ignition on, then give it a few seconds before i started it. Appears everything needs time to talk to each other. No probs since

whatheheck likes this.
  12. ty423

ty423 Karting

Jun 9, 2015
    Socal OC
    Full Name:
    Tony
    That's what I do...switch ignition to on...wait until F1 pump stops which takes a few seconds and then a firm press and hold on "START"

13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    As others have already mentioned, ensure you have proper coolant level (about an inch from the top).

Do a heating & cooling system reset as Aeroman have already posted.

Dan

14. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Is the procedure the same on the 360? Mine works and all the controls have an effect but sometimes it seems like it comes up with a different solution for the same inputs.

15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    It should be the same.

Dan

16. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    Finally got my F430 heater to work! It started heating almost as I left my driveway. Settings are: left knob to upper and lower floor vents. Recirculation button pushed in, Temp knob on 76-78, and on-off button OUT for blower on (in for blower off). and right knob on AUTO. (fully counterclockwise) The unit started putting out warm air almost immediately. if turn temp to max 78, blower speed increases, lower temp, blower speed decreases. When parking, just leave everything set and use the on-off button to start and stop the unit. It warmed up surprisingly fast. Ambient was 28F

17. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    So they AC needs to be set to on for the heater to work?

Snapshift likes this.
  18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If the F430 is like its predecessors, then yes. The STOP button automatically closes the hot water valve.

Snapshift likes this.
  19. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Ah thanks. I have had the AC off since I need to re-charge it. I was wondering what was going on.

Snapshift and Qavion like this.
  20. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I should stick to what I know well. The F360 WSM says

On the 348, 355, 550... the STOP button closes the hot water valve, but it's more likely the F430 follows the F360 logic.

21. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    I just put in a new drier and vacuumed out the system. I will report back after charging the AC. Other threads seem to point to a "hard reset" of the HVAC controller can bring back the heat. I might disconnect the front trunk after seeing if the AC working or not influences anything.

Attached Files:

22. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Heater started working prior to the recharge so must of just needed a power cycle. Charged up (750g) and nice AC coldness.

Qavion likes this.
  23. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Sj_engr said:
    So they AC needs to be set to on for the heater to work?

The ON/OFF Switch does not operate JUST the air conditioning system but rather the ENTIRE climate control System. So depending on temperature it uses a/c to cool car or heat to warm car. Meaning it is not a separate heating and cooling system. It is a climate control system so you get heat and/or cool as needed but only when the system is turned on

Default is ON. You have to press the STOP button IN to turn it off. With the button released just set the temp you want and the system chooses heat or AC depending on what is needed.

Extreme1 likes this.
  24. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Thanks for bringing up this point. I was keeping my system with the "climate control" pushed out button set to OFF. My original confusion was that the button was purely "AC"

I did not want to run the compressor without any R134a in the line since the PAG oil would also not be circulating (my guess). I am very pleased that both the heat and AC are working now but did notice the heat started to function before I filled the R134a. I had to push in the button to activate the compressor to pull in the R134a.

25. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I don't understand why the F36o would be different from the other Ferraris (before and after). The F360 WSM clearly states the heater will work in any case.