Does anyone else have the purple flower factory interior? | FerrariChat

Does anyone else have the purple flower factory interior?

Discussion in '308/328' started by chris_columbia, Feb 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I pulled the factory original factory passenger seat apart to reupholster. Look what I found. I guess they just used whatever was around for the "fish-scale" backing. Pink and black strips for the seat bottom and purple flowers for the seat back. I'm certain this is the original factory interior.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jbrauer, GordonC and moysiuan like this.
  2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, if you intended to replace that material also, and really wants to stay "100% full stock and OEM", finding exactly the same material guarantees you a few sleepless nights...anything less, and your car is not "original" anymore...just sayin' :D

Rgds

Saabguy likes this.
  3. Diehl Jones

Diehl Jones Rookie

Jul 3, 2020
    Fayetteville, NC
    Full Name:
    Diehl Jones
    Mine looked like old drapery or something! I guess they recycled before it was popular.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Gawd.

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    How certain are you it is original?

Jbrauer likes this.
  6. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'd say about 99%. I've reupholstered a few car seats in my life, so I can spot a redo. Because the 308 seats use rivets on the head rest and back cover, if it's been reupholstered, you can usually spot it there. The head rest also uses like 30 staples, and you can't possible get new ones in the same holes. The foam under the leather was absolutely pristine. With recovering, you usually end up leaving some marks on the foam, or even added foam to adjust for wear or fit issues.

Diehl's response above confirms that I'm not the only one seeing "scrap" material used in the seats. It makes sense for the time. They were still a fairly small company. If you look at how the rest of the 308 is built, it's very kit-car like construction. I mentioned in some other thread that the insulation panel under the rear truck carpet looks like they picked it up at the local countertop store and cut it to shape using a very rough saw. Probably the quickest fix when they added hot catalytics for the USA market. The customer can't see the underside of the seat fabric, or trunk, so why not.

7. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I love the scrap fabric under your seats, it's brilliant and hilarious!

And, as you say, emblematic of a small manufacturer with a lot of hand made processes. One of the things I love about the 308s, they're not mass production assembly line made like the equivalent 911s, they still had some craftsmanship by hand in the process.

If you've ever taken off the door panels or rear deck behind the seats, you'll see more examples - scrap pieces of wood of different shapes wedged in to fit the height or thickness of the panels appropriately!

Image Unavailable, Please Login