430 - How do those F430 exhaust valves work exactly? | FerrariChat

430 How do those F430 exhaust valves work exactly?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Enzo Sebastian, Feb 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Enzo Sebastian

Enzo Sebastian Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2020
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Laurence Sebastian
    Hi guys,

I'm debating a good friend of mine, who also drives a F430 Berlinetta. We got our cars at the same time and had the dealer install for both of us the Capristo Valve Exhaust Controller. Works perfectly! Small remote in the cockpit and we can switch between valves opened and closed for the exhaust system. We love it!

Anyway, we had the discussion about the following: I have the feeling the valves, when closed, cause all the exhaust gases just go through the rear muffler and the 4 exhaust tips. Valves open would mean that exhaust gases don't pass the rear muffler and don't - or partially - go through the tips, so part of the exhaust fumes are not 'silenced'. Hence, the ROARRR!

Anyway. I purchased a set of Capristo headers that are being fitted as we speak. My friend would really like to upgrade his rear silencer. He'd like to keep his valves. Both he and his wife would like to travel with the option to have a bit more silence. If he upgrades the rear muffler/silencer with an aftermarket valved system, I told him that the effect of that exhaust would have little to zero effect noise-wise, because I believe that he would only hear an effect up until the moment the valves would normally open (+/- 3.5k RPM). At that point, the sound would be (partially) unsilenced anyway, so the difference with the valves open in an aftermarket system or the original system would be negligible. I believe that aftermarket headers and/or cats would be needed to make a difference from the point the valves open on...

Am I wrong? How would these 'valved' aftermarket systems work then, making a real difference compared to the original exhaust?

2. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    If he gets a system like the Kline with the valves it goes though the silencer/muffler until the valves open and then it goes though an X-Pipe for that F1 high pitch sound.

Mine is currently being installed at my mechanic this week replacing my non valved X-Pipe only setup which sounds amazing but is too loud for my wife and leaving my neighborhood at 7:00am for Cars and Coffee meetups on Sunday morning.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Capristo make a silencer with or without valves so you have a choise. Mine has no valves.
    If you are fitting Capristo manifolds you may have to fit a blanking plug to each side, depends on the car years. Early cars had a temp sensor, changed in 07/08

4. DL4567

DL4567 Karting

Nov 25, 2004
    Atlanta
  5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    so tell me if im crazy - i had a forza valve controller installed on my 430. it changed the tone of the exhaust and impacted crackles and popps. is there any explanation for that? cap headers, cap 200 cell cats, and oem muffler.

SingleClutch likes this.
  6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Guess im the only one who thinks this?

7. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    With the Forza controller, when you open the valves and leave them open, you get louder exhaust tone at all times. When you lift off the throttle, there may be a bit of unburnt fuel in the exhaust gas ... this depends on the settings of the fuel mixture. In the parlance of the trade, this is frequently referred to as "overrun". The crackles and pops are generated when an explosion echoes in the exhaust. This can actually be induced by retarding the ignition timing so the fuel/air mixture ignites later in the engine's cycle. If timed correctly, the engine's exhaust valves will be opening to allow that gas -- along with the pops and bangs -- to escape. With the exhaust bypass valves open, there will be less sound attenuation so you hear more of the snaps, crackles and pops. If you were to remove the catalytic converter, you very possibly may witness fire streaking out the tailpipe as well.

On many modern cars with a valved exhaust system, the ECU is frequently programmed to snap the bypass valves closed on throttle lift off to attenuate those sounds ... this is done to meet noise abatement requirements in many urban areas.

Stev

Flea7 likes this.
  8. Enzo Sebastian

Enzo Sebastian Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2020
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Laurence Sebastian
    Guys, thank you sooo much for your help! All of this information is very helpful.

The image shows that I was kind of right in my way of thinking.

9. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Here is an illustration of the F430 exhaust .... the one above is the Jaguar F-Type.

This is same as the racing exhaust used on the 360. The 360 stock exhaust is quite similar.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Spleen, Qavion and Flea7 like this.
  10. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    #10 Flea7, Feb 15, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    I have a Mase tune w/ fabspeed headers, & Kline exhaust.....without cats. I shoot flames on hard acceleration shifts and downshifts. I don't think Steve @ Mase tuned it for that purpose but when you don't have exhaust flow restrictions it can't be helped.
    ttforced is experiencing this even with cats because the stock exhaust set up is less restrictive than any X pipe configuration and is less restrictive when valves are open.

11. Enzo Sebastian

Enzo Sebastian Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2020
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Laurence Sebastian

Very clear! Thanks so much. However, could you tell me how the exhaust gases go? They seem to also go through the muffler and rear section when the valves are open? Or, when the valves are open the gases only pass the muffler and endtips partially? Is that correct?

12. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    When the exhaust valves are open there is a path thru the silencer, however there is less resistance to bypass the silencer so that is the path for the vast majority of the volume.

Enzo Sebastian and Flea7 like this.