430 Scuderia or 458? | FerrariChat

430 Scuderia or 458?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by luccio, Feb 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. luccio

luccio Rookie

Feb 10, 2021
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Luccio
    Hello folks,
    I've spent the past week trying to decide what my next week-end ride will be, and while my hunt started with a 348, I saw a Scuderia and really (like REALLY) liked it.
    Reading more about it, compared to reviews on the 458 raises the question: should I opt for a more modern, but base 458 in the same budget range?
    Will I regret issues with the Scuderia... will I always regret not driving a Scuderia if I go with a 458??

I know, good problems to have :)

Thanks,
    Luccio

paulchua likes this.
  2. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    have you driven both? I've owned regular F430 and now 458. Never driven a scud. I think you get more points for badassery with the scud

paulchua and LARRYH like this.
  3. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I would definitely go with the Scud. Both are really fast, the 458 is probably a tick quicker on a track, but few of us could tell the difference. I would guess the Scud FEELS faster and is more exciting to drive. Will likely hold its value better also, and I prefer the looks and rarity.

paulchua and Shark01 like this.
  4. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I faced this same decision 4 yrs. ago. I had decided to buy a 458, found one I liked and made an appointment to drive it. After the drive the salesman suggested trying a 430 Scuderia he had. I drove it and immediately fell in love with it. It is a very different driving experience. It provides a much more raw, visceral driving experience. You feel much more at one with the car. I bought the Scud right after the test drive and have not regretted it at all. The 458 is a beautiful car and probably easier to live with as the Scud is sifter, has limited padding CF racing seats and is louder in the cockpit. But every time I drive it I still grin ear to ear. Performance wise, they are probably about equal. I think long term the Scud has better appreciation (or at least less depreciation) potential than the 458. Scud values have held up well during my ownership and I think they will remain stable as there were only about 1500 sold world-wide. You could always get one and sell it later if you didn't like it with not much chance of significant loss. Hope that helps, good luck with your search and purchase.

Il Tifoso, 4ROARE and ShineKen like this.
  5. DeTomasoGTS74

DeTomasoGTS74 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    First question what other sports cars do you own?

Second question what specifically are you solving for (what’s important to you).

I was certain that the 458 (last na, 9k, beautiful) was the car to add to my Aston Martin Vantage and 427 Shelby Cobra for toys while searching a year ago. Then I drove a couple. For me it was incredibly capable and good, almost too good. So much so that it had less raw emotion/personality than my Aston Martin. I received feedback on this forum to drive the scud and I bought the first one that matched the spec I wanted because it exudes personality, rawness, and driver feel which is what I was solving for. It truly felt significantly more special inside the sparse all carbon interior, outside of the car, and even it what it represents in Ferraris racing history being developed with the help of the greatest F1 racer of all time in a period where Ferrari was at the top of its game.

But, some people do not care about F1. They do not want to hear the rocks hitting the wheel wheel or put their feet on anything other than carpet. They do not want a kick so immediate and brutal on **** that your head jerks.

To some it may be their only sports car. In that case, the 458 is a great choice!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Reacherman1022, Loxo, jehu999 and 4 others like this.
  6. luccio

luccio Rookie

Feb 10, 2021
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Luccio
    Thank you guys,
    One question I have is about reliability. The 430 being the quintessence of the 360 platform (at least IMO) are there some issues around the clutch for instance, that one should care about?
    The 458 has built a reputation of being bullet proof (which is uncommon for F berlinettas actually :D) which is quite a consideration.
    I've driven a Scud and was amazed. It wasn't for sale... and ideally that's the roughness I love.
    Haven't driven a 458 yet, I should do this and maybe that will end the questioning.

I raced in endurance for a few years in the late 90's, have owned a few sport cars including a 348, Lancias, Alfa's, a Shelby Cobra, and several 911's

The Scud feels like the right amount of roughness and thrill on open roads and possibly a couple track days a year. At this point I'm just cautious about it's reliability!

7. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I have had some issues but not sure it would be fair to say its a Scud issue. Both issues occurred on the track, so extreme conditions. I actually traded my 911 race car for the Scud after 10 years of amateur club racing. I drive the car more aggressively than the average person and so far no problems with major components like clutch. Went from 13,000 mi. to 20,000 mi. in the past 4 years (including 2 track days). The most expensive issue was a broken oil heat exchanger that started leaking on the race track. This ended up being a $14,000 problem. Wheel sensor system had to be replaced, $5,000. Brakes needed rebuilding but this was because the owner before me didn't drive the car much and when he did hardly used the brakes. The grease on the pins in the calipers dried out from lack of use. I found that the alignment goes out easily so I have the car aligned every spring. Hope this helps.

8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Go research the issues on the 2010-2011 transmissions.

I've driven both....the Scuderia out of all the V8 Ferraris I've driven (355, 360, 430, 458) was the driving experience I expected and wanted going in. Others have been disappointments....too slow, or too soft, too much electronic crap, or too isolated. The Scuderia has a sense of purpose.

Wikdstrate and luccio like this.
  9. Stephen Ayers

Stephen Ayers Rookie

Jan 21, 2018
    Bay Area, Northern California
    Full Name:
    Stephen Ayers
    I had the same choice. Went with the Scud and never regretted for a moment. It’s a special car.

luccio likes this.
  10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    The Scud is amazing, but its always a hard nosed character.

The 458 has a duality- it can be more of a GT car or it can actually drive to an even higher level than Scud- though it will be a little less connected feeling. However, that can be adjusted with aftermarket springs and exhaust, like Novitec. It has better creature comforts like radio, bluetooth etc.

I think as a weekend sports car for shorter blasts, the Scud is tough to beat. But to use a little more often, longer drives, its the 458.

luccio, jahdish and Themaven like this.
  11. MikeMonty

MikeMonty Karting

May 28, 2004
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    As others have said, it comes down to the type of car you are looking for. I just bought a Scud so could have bought a 458 and now 488s are starting to come up for sale for around Scud pricing. If you want a raw, loud, single clutch hard shifting older technology car then Scud is great. If you want a more comfortable car that still has crazy performance levels but is not as raw then 458/488 are better. Just comes down to what you want out of the driving experience.

luccio and Caeruleus11 like this.
  12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    458 if you want to drive it all the time .

Caeruleus11 and flash32 like this.
  13. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Already (a little more than) five years ago I seriously considered both options and it was really a tough choice because the cars are really different, so this is not a simple case of one being better.
    The Scuderia is rawer and definitely more special, but the 458 is faster (even on a track, which is a kind of disappointment for the Scud which is supposed to be more focussed) and the DCT is really a technical marvel.
    ...I ended up with a 488 (maybe because I could not decide between the Scud and 458 :p)

14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    If the Scud and the 458 had not been made in such abundant quantities, they would be hailed as two of the all time great Ferraris. That’s what they are.

It just depends on whether you want the dial turned a bit more towards raw, or refined.

I think running costs will be similar.

Absolutely cannot go wrong.

Or you could go for a gated 430 :)

4ROARE likes this.
  15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    You could find 458’s in Scud price range 6-7 years ago as well when I bought. As a matter of fact, my Scud was parked side by side to a 458 when I went to take a look. Both red. I went for the Scud and chose the Scud. Was an easy choice for me.

Scuds haven’t dropped in value from 6-7 years ago while 458s have. But I also don’t think 458’s will get below $125k either. Safe to say sub 40k mi Scuds will stay above $150k as long as it isn’t a funky spec.

luccio likes this.
  16. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I’ve owned both and there is not even a second thought to an answer. The Scud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    No Brainer , definitely Scuderia. Good luck in your decision.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

18. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Love the license plate!

DeTomasoGTS74 likes this.
  19. luccio

luccio Rookie

Feb 10, 2021
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Luccio
    Thank you folks!
    The more I've been digging in, and after seeing a few cars that's definitely a Scud that will be my next car!

LARRYH, ShineKen and MikeMonty like this.
  20. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich

Definitely many more than 1500 built.

Shark01 likes this.
  21. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I think you made the right choice I have owned two (sold mine then decided I wanted one again ) it is a very special car
    a racer when you want or I have driven mine 450 miles comfortably in a day with no problems just drive it like a regular car ...

Wikdstrate, luccio and ShineKen like this.
  22. MKS0129

MKS0129 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2022
    Full Name:
    Matt S
    Do you still have your Scud?

23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Welcome, Luccio. The biggest question is does stick matter to you? If so, stay with 348/355.

The Scud is much more 'rawer' than the 458. The only way to know is you must test drive both.