458 - What to look for when buying a 458? | FerrariChat

458 What to look for when buying a 458?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by infinitest, Feb 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. infinitest

infinitest Rookie

Feb 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    n a
    I'm looking at buy my first Ferrari and the 458 has caught my eye. I've found a 2011 with < 20,000 miles that is visually in great condition, but I'm terribly unfamiliar with 458s.

What are the things to look / look out for when buying a 458? I'm more familiar with Porsches and the "must-have" options/packages and I'm guessing similar things exist on 458s.

Thanks in advance!

2. Avi Das

Avi Das Karting

Aug 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Savage458

Great video about what to watch out for and 458 in general.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

infinitest likes this.
  3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Mikael-F360, Ivinsea and infinitest like this.
  4. infinitest

infinitest Rookie

Feb 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    n a
    One that I've found has 8 owners. Is that normal for a car like this?

5. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    8 seems high, but these cars are pretty bulletproof.. but just make sure whatever you pick you love on the spot.. you'll know it when you see it.. good luck

6. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    nothing comes to mind. other than have a PPI, inspect the car personally, etc. age of the tires is always good to check

7. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Look to make sure it has wheels, tires, engine. Steering wheel if you're into that sort of thing.

8. VelocityTexas

VelocityTexas Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2019
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    If you can't see the car in person have the seller do a very detailed walk around video. The MOST IMPORTANT thing is get a detailed PPI by a shop that has no tie to the seller.

9. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I found a 2015 one owner with low miles. I wanted a car that was well cared for and as a first time owner the search was equal parts exhilarating and anxiety producing.

I personally moved away from multiowner cars. If they were leased then I worried about the high chance of abuse. Cars at this price point are so beautiful it is easy to make them look good.

Lots of good info on what to look out for here. The interior of these cars hate the heat so look for sticky buttons, leather pulling on the dash, and falling headliners due to degeneration of adhesive.

Also look for oxidation of the paint - often in wheel arches.

This forum was a great resource for me. Plenty of into here to help you feel comfortable when you find her and pull the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Steering wheel LEDs.
    CF interior bits are generally well-received.
    Scuderia shields.
    If racing seats make sure large size.
    Some like premium hifi, others don’t care.
    Front lifter is not essential IMO.

There are no specific significant mechanical issues to look for, just get a thorough PPI and make sure maintenance receipts check out.
    I personally would look for a car that averaged 2000-4000 miles/year.

intownrunner and Mikael-F360 like this.
  11. dgunn365

dgunn365 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    New London, NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    Re the 'lifter' question; depends a great deal on where you live and drive regularly.
    Any area where "dips" are common the kit will save you much grief. Driveways and other entrances/exits are a pretty common concern everywhere but areas where they build dips for drainage in regular roads are a serious problem.
    My TR had a sacrificial AL strip on its long overhang front; the lift kit on my 458 is a far better idea.

Ivinsea likes this.
  12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Usually best to buy from a dealer who has first hand knowledge of all the previous owners and/or who has done the service on the car throughout its life.

Also, the rear backup camera on the 458 is a life-saver and very, very helpful. I'd almost call the rear backup camera a must have for any 458 which you plan to daily drive.

Check the condition of the rotors and pads, especially if the car has over 15K miles.

Ray