Speedometer sticker removal. | FerrariChat

Speedometer sticker removal.

Discussion in '308/328' started by Tonksy1, Feb 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tonksy1

Tonksy1 Karting

Jun 21, 2016
    New Zealand
    Hello ferrari chatters.
    Has anyone got experience in removing the speedometer overlay (sticker) that has been added to many imported 308s to the USA?
    Is it easy to remove? Any tips?
    I currently have my speedometer out of my car for testing and I can see the face plate has a sticker over it.(different colour and air bubbles visible).
    Research indicates that many euro spec cars that were imported to the USA like mine, had stickers put over the face plate to show MPH instead of KPH.
    Chances are, this speedometer will be getting opened up and I would like to get it back to original KPH again.

My fear is that I may do damage to the original face plate by just peeling it off.
    Are the original face plate surfaces sturdy?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Dean (NZ)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Dean,

The pic is not very good so the bubbles are hard to see. I collect 3x8 gauges and have a couple that were refaced and no bubbles anywhere. If they just put a sticker on them, I'd be very surprised.

Anyway,

There are some very brittle parts on those and all the 308 gauges.

Unless you are experienced, I'd send it to one of the 'Pros' out there to get it done.

waymar likes this.
  3. Tonksy1

Tonksy1 Karting

Jun 21, 2016
    New Zealand
    Thanks for that Mark.
    Yes the gauge is with a professional, but I don't think he has peeled stickers off face plates before.
    I have had both of my spare fuel and clock gauges opened before and I know the face plates on those are rather durable. I would hate to see some of the original surface come off with this sticker.
    Have you ever seen evidence of the surface print/paint coming off on any of your gauges you've collected?

Thanks in advance.

4. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    NOT One of the faces of the 20-odd+ gauges/clocks I have, look anything other than brand new.

I can't imagine a 'sticker' being used, I can only see the gauge face being replaced or re-stenciled(painted). But I've been wrong about details of these cars before, may times. We ALL have been.

I had a couple of VOLT Meters fabricated from collusing other plentiful 308 and Non-Ferrari Veglia gauges together (OUT will come my OEM Clock - IN goes the new faux VM) and those faces were restenciled(painted) during the creation process.

Again, I just can't imagine a 'sticker.'

(Before Anyone asks: NO, Sorry ........ I COLLECT them).

waymar likes this.
  5. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Some euro cars received new speedometers in MPH. I think some were silk screened. I suspect if your speedometer was stickered or silkscreened, the odometer would still read in Km.

mwr4440 likes this.
  6. Tonksy1

Tonksy1 Karting

Jun 21, 2016
    New Zealand
    Thanks for that Ron.
    Yes correct,my odometer does still read in KM. I'm pretty sure its been stickered rather than silk screened due to the fine air bubbles under it and miss match satin black background.